NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-30-2011, 09:32 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Default This Is A Tragedy

I'm a Yankee fan but Francona is a good manager and a class act. Shame on the Red Sox.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_19012052
Old 09-30-2011, 09:37 AM
Dave

That's ridiculous, though I get the sense Tito wanted out anyways.

Sox always seem to be looking for a scapegoat, whether it's Buckner, Grady Little, Carl Crawford, Francona or Babe Ruth cursing them. You'd think a couple World Series titles would have changed that mentality.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:39 AM
T0dd M@rcum

He'll probably get stuck with a massive pay raise in a more livable city with more rational fans.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:50 AM
Anthøny N. ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
He'll probably get stuck with a massive pay raise in a more livable city with more rational fans.
Doubtful, despite the turmoil Mattingly did a good job, and Scoscia's job is safe forever.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:59 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Quote:
I find my town quite livable (wtf that means) and every member of my family and coworker wants Tito to stay put. Some fans are over the top, everywhere. Now please, get your head out yer butt.

Ps, til the Bs hit the ice, i am permitted to be cranky

Have a nice day, Steve
Old 09-30-2011, 12:30 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Boston is a very liveable city,,, great restaurants, surrounded by history, theatre, museums,,,
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 09-30-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
+1 And win another title or two!
Old 09-30-2011, 09:56 PM
Kenny Cole

Scott.

I agree that a manager's responsibilty is to field the best team and, more importantly, to win. Francona did that for most of the season. Then he didn't. Did he suddenly become a poor manager and make bad decisions at the end of the season? My guess is that he remained pretty well the same and that some (nearly all) of his players tanked at the end of the season.

I would be real interested in your input about what he should have done to reverse a 7-20 September, what decisions he should have made and didn't, and who should have been in the lineup (in order to win) who wasn't. Let me know when you have that all figured out. Then we can talk.

Kenny
Old 09-30-2011, 10:31 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
Scott.

I agree that a manager's responsibilty is to field the best team and, more importantly, to win. Francona did that for most of the season. Then he didn't. Did he suddenly become a poor manager and make bad decisions at the end of the season? My guess is that he remained pretty well the same and that some (nearly all) of his players tanked at the end of the season.

I would be real interested in your input about what he should have done to reverse a 7-20 September, what decisions he should have made and didn't, and who should have been in the lineup (in order to win) who wasn't. Let me know when you have that all figured out. Then we can talk.

Kenny
Kenny - we don't really need to talk further on this. If you think a manager's responsibilities end on September 5, that's your right.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:39 AM
Scott

Awful move by the Red Sox. OF course, they always "fire the manager" when things fall apart.

I did just hear from a clip of Curt Schilling, who said there were "camaraderie issues" according to Francona. Course, that's only part of it.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:45 AM
Pete Sycks

It had nothing to do with Crawford hitting .240 or Lackey's almost 7.00 era. It was all coaching. What a joke. 2 titles in 8 years and now you're yesterday's trash cuz your team fell a part.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:49 AM
Barry Sloate

Shouldn't topics like these be posted in the watercooler section? We have a forum for sports talk that is hardly ever used.

Last edited by barrysloate; 09-30-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:01 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Shouldn't topics like these be posted in the watercooler section? We have a forum for sports talk that is hardly ever used.
This is exactly what that section was made for.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:28 AM
Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
I'm a Yankee fan but Francona is a good manager and a class act. Shame on the Red Sox.

I just don't know about Tito. I watched him closely when he managed the Phillies, where he was absolutely unimpressive. Just seemed to be one of the boys with the vets on the squad. That relationship with Schilling seemed to land him in Beantown, and now it seems like relationships with players are shoving him out the door.

Whatever happens happens, but it's far from a tragedy (even by sports standards).

my eBay auctions
Old 09-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Craig

Well whether this topic is in the proper section or not a manager losing his job is hardly a "tragedy".
People who think it is should talk to Andrew and his daughter to get some perspective.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:02 PM
Christopher Williams

A Tragedy? Are you serious? I'm a Yankee fan and have much respect for what Francona did for the Red Sox but please, "A tragedy?"

A tragedy is a hard-working man losing job and maybe eventually losing his home. Francona is a millionaire.

A tragedy is the abusing of children, men and women all over the world. A tragedy is the abuse of thousands of poor defenseless animals on a daily basis.

Francona is a millionaire who is able to pay his heating bill every winter.

A tragedy? Show me.

And he'll find another job paying him millions per year.

Poor Terry.

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 09-30-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:35 PM
Rob G.

when the OP said tragedy, i think he means IN PERSPECTIVE of sports. I don't think he is comparing it to real life tragedies.

as much as i hate the red sox, boston is a nice town (though i'd never want to live in it, as its way too busy for me). its certainly no worse than NY -well, except for the fans lol
Old 09-30-2011, 01:13 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger8mush View Post
when the OP said tragedy, i think he means IN PERSPECTIVE of sports. I don't think he is comparing it to real life tragedies.

as much as i hate the red sox, boston is a nice town (though i'd never want to live in it, as its way too busy for me). its certainly no worse than NY -well, except for the fans lol
Shannon Stone's death from falling from the upper deck at a Texas Rangers game this summer is a tragedy.

Terry Francona losing his job with the Red Sox is not a tragedy. There is no "Perspective of sports" using the word "tragedy" when a manager, who has already earned millions of dollars, loses his job.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:29 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Guys, it's baseball. It's a game. I don't think Jay was suggesting that Francona losing his job was a tragedy on the level of someone dying. It's a baseball tragedy. And he's right, it is. Unreal that Francona took the fall for that joke of a team.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:04 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdrx View Post
I just don't know about Tito. I watched him closely when he managed the Phillies, where he was absolutely unimpressive. Just seemed to be one of the boys with the vets on the squad. That relationship with Schilling seemed to land him in Beantown, and now it seems like relationships with players are shoving him out the door.

Whatever happens happens, but it's far from a tragedy (even by sports standards).
Yeah, those manager/player relationships are kind of important. It's part of winning games, especially when you come to the pressures and fatigue of September. When a team has the hugest September collapse in history, you have to consider the guy who's running things on the field....where the games were lost.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:03 PM

Reports out of Minneapolis that the Red Sox are interested in talking to Ron Gardenhire about the job. As a Twins fan who watched Gardenhire become the worst enabler in MLB, I'd swap Gardy for Francona in a heartbeat although I think Francona will ultimately end up in Chicago with the Sox.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:07 PM
qu@n nguy3n

his managing contributed to the collapse...someone's gotta take the fall. i'm on the side of baseball managing is the most overrated when it comes to influencing the success of a team.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:10 PM
Kenny Cole

What contributed to the collapse more than the managing was the piss-poor play of pretty much the entire team (except Jacoby Ellsbury) during the entire month of September. The manager doesn't hit, pitch or field. Of course, management can't really fire a player, so the head that rolls is that of someone else. That's the way it is. Theo Epstein made pretty much all of the player decisions, so is he all of a sudden a bad GM too?
Old 09-30-2011, 06:50 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
What contributed to the collapse more than the managing was the piss-poor play of pretty much the entire team (except Jacoby Ellsbury) during the entire month of September. The manager doesn't hit, pitch or field. Of course, management can't really fire a player, so the head that rolls is that of someone else. That's the way it is. Theo Epstein made pretty much all of the player decisions, so is he all of a sudden a bad GM too?
I hear this argument a lot, and I don't get it. In your opinion, what is a manager's responsibility, if not to make the right decisions about who is on the field at any given time, and to get the most out of them that he can? Aren't these things a huge part of winning?

I'm not jumping on the 90% of baseball who disagree with me - obviously they are right, I just haven't heard them build a good case that I can agree with.

Haven't any of you had a coach or manager that inspired you to do your best? who showed you that a team was more (or less - see Yankees) than the sum of its parts?
Old 10-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post

Francona made it really harder to hate the Red Sox as a Yankee fan. He is a class act.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:57 AM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Default Tito Knew What He Was Doing

Despite his prior accomplishments, he would have been crucified by the Boston media all winter and spring. And if he got the team off to a slow start next year or even hit a rough patch after getting them off to a good start, he would have been fired.

I am of the opinion that the manager doesn't lose nearly as many games as the players do. Managers don't hit or pitch or field. Can a manager make a bonehead choice here and there? Sure. Did Francona make 72 bonehead calls this year? If he did, they didn't all result in a Boston loss. Case in point - in the last game of the season he put his ace closer in and that big star blew the game.

I think Francona knew the Boston fans are rabid enough that they would have screamed for the Boston administration to take action and he probably felt the Boston administration was already leaning that way. He simply got his answer when they didn't talk him out of leaving. Stupid on the part of Boston administration, but predictable.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:26 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Default Meet the new boss...

...Same as the old boss.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:41 PM

I don't think the Boston fans had a problem with Francona- it was the ownership group.
The Fans know who the lousy players were this year and Francona can only do so much. Every so often, no matter how good, a manager needs to move on. I'm a Boston fan and hated seeing him go, but I would've like to see him held players more accountable. He totally backed Lackey all year and he just had the worse starting pitching year in Red Sox history. Sometimes the manager needs to chew out the player(s), not necessary in the press but in some way.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:44 PM
qualitycards

Any word (or rumour) who is going to replace Francona?
Old 10-03-2011, 07:52 AM
marty

sometimes its just time to go.. besides if he ends up at Wrigley field in a Cubs uniform...