NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 09-12-2019, 09:58 AM
Bill Gregory

Default If Wisconsin sports teams didn't have bad luck...

...they'd have no luck at all.

The Brewers' reigning MVP Christian Yelich, as you've all no doubt heard by now, is done for the season. Just as things were starting to get interesting for the team. If the season ended today, the Brewers, if I am seeing things correctly, would make the playoffs. We have caught the Cubs for the second wild card, and by virtue of winning five of the last six against them, we have the tiebreaker, taking the season series ten games to nine.

I feel terrible for Yeli, and I empathize, having broken the Patella in my left knee two Springs ago. I just saw that, thankfully, he won't need surgery, so I expect he'll be ready to go at the start of the next season. But this puts a real damper on his chance to repeat as MVP. He was leading ESPN's Award Index coming into yesterday's game. While his BBR WAR was lagging behind Cody Bellinger 8.1 to 7.1 (he has played 12 fewer games, and has a lesser dWAR), Fangraphs has Yelich way ahead, 7.7 to 7.1. Yelich's wRC+ is 173, to Belinger's 163. And Yelich's clutch metric blows Belinger's out of the water. Yelich is at 0.37, and Belinger is at -0.76.

This keeps happening to the Brewers. Two years ago, we lost our ace Jimmy Nelson when he ripped up his shoulder sliding back into first base. It's pretty clear watching him struggle on the mound that he'll never be the same again. He missed all of last year, and most of this year after finishing 9th in the Cy Young in 2017. This year, our closer Corey Knebel has missed the entire season. Our Rookie of the Year candidate Keston Hiura has been out since the end of August. Mike Moustakas hit two home runs last night-he'd only had 5 at bats in September because he was out injured. Our current ace, All Star Brandon Woodruff, has been out since July 21st with an injury.

Now this.

We have too many guys out right now, so I didn't expect the team to make any real noise in the playoffs if they got in. But they've won 9 of 11, and while three of those games were against the Marlins, the rest were against the Cubs and Astros. Guys are stepping up, and I hoped, "maybe, just maybe". Now, the damned rug has been pulled out from under us.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 09-12-2019 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:16 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

The Crew is a fun team to watch with a promising future!
Old 09-12-2019, 03:13 PM
Jeff

I hate that for him. What a great player to watch.
Hate for the Brew Crew fan base as well.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 09-12-2019, 08:28 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Kneecaps can be found in more than several Wisconsin eateries.

Conspiracy theorists have floated the possibility of demand exceeding supply as being causally related to the Yelich injury.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
...they'd have no luck at all.

The Brewers' reigning MVP Christian Yelich, as you've all no doubt heard by now, is done for the season. Just as things were starting to get interesting for the team. If the season ended today, the Brewers, if I am seeing things correctly, would make the playoffs. We have caught the Cubs for the second wild card, and by virtue of winning five of the last six against them, we have the tiebreaker, taking the season series ten games to nine.

I feel terrible for Yeli, and I empathize, having broken the Patella in my left knee two Springs ago. I just saw that, thankfully, he won't need surgery, so I expect he'll be ready to go at the start of the next season. But this puts a real damper on his chance to repeat as MVP. He was leading ESPN's Award Index coming into yesterday's game. While his BBR WAR was lagging behind Cody Bellinger 8.1 to 7.1 (he has played 12 fewer games, and has a lesser dWAR), Fangraphs has Yelich way ahead, 7.7 to 7.1. Yelich's wRC+ is 173, to Belinger's 163. And Yelich's clutch metric blows Belinger's out of the water. Yelich is at 0.37, and Belinger is at -0.76.

This keeps happening to the Brewers. Two years ago, we lost our ace Jimmy Nelson when he ripped up his shoulder sliding back into first base. It's pretty clear watching him struggle on the mound that he'll never be the same again. He missed all of last year, and most of this year after finishing 9th in the Cy Young in 2017. This year, our closer Corey Knebel has missed the entire season. Our Rookie of the Year candidate Keston Hiura has been out since the end of August. Mike Moustakas hit two home runs last night-he'd only had 5 at bats in September because he was out injured. Our current ace, All Star Brandon Woodruff, has been out since July 21st with an injury.

Now this.

We have too many guys out right now, so I didn't expect the team to make any real noise in the playoffs if they got in. But they've won 9 of 11, and while three of those games were against the Marlins, the rest were against the Cubs and Astros. Guys are stepping up, and I hoped, "maybe, just maybe". Now, the damned rug has been pulled out from under us.
Yankees to Brewers: "Hold my beer".
Old 09-13-2019, 07:09 AM
Kyle May

A Cleveland fan listening to a Wisconsin sports fan bitch about bad luck...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 07B89120-B48D-45FB-AF1D-49AF6CD16790.jpg (44.3 KB, 66 views)

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 09-14-2019, 03:46 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Go badgers!
Old 09-14-2019, 07:50 PM
je.sse @rnot

Yea I remember a few promising Green Bay seasons that didn't quite pan out due to injuries as well. But I'm sure that's much more common in football than baseball.