NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-24-2019, 06:19 PM
Matthew

Default Which 56 Clemente to keep

Hi all. I wanted to gather opinions on these 56 Clemente’s. I would like to keep one and sell the other. I like both about equally, though I am leaning towards the psa. They have similar corners, but the centering on the psa is better (the sgc has a slight diamond cut). The borders are much whiter on the sgc while the psa has some yellowing. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2019, 06:37 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

A couple of things. Is money a factor in your decision? As a rule of thumb, the SGC would (most likely) sell for less. But also a minor thing that may be cool. The SGC card has a filled-in 'R' in "Roberto." Not sure if this is a sought after variation, but it may be.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:49 PM
Matthew

Default Which 56 Clemente to keep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
A couple of things. Is money a factor in your decision? As a rule of thumb, the SGC would (most likely) sell for less. But also a minor thing that may be cool. The SGC card has a filled-in 'R' in "Roberto." Not sure if this is a sought after variation, but it may be.

The filled in R is a result of a poor scanner setting (dust removal). The letter isn’t actually filled in, but good eye!

Last edited by IgnatiusJReilly; 07-24-2019 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:08 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Both are nice looking but I would keep the PSA 6. The centering on that card is hard to find and it looks great for the grade.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:10 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

You're a card doctor!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb67 View Post
Both are nice looking but I would keep the PSA 6. The centering on that card is hard to find and it looks great for the grade.

I agree. The PSA is nicely centered.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:30 PM
Emlily Ell.is

I'd keep the PSA card. IF you ever have to sell it, it will be easier to move and would sell for more. Plus, it's slightly better centered than the SGC.

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:30 PM

I agree with the centering and the general view of resale, however, note that your PSA has a sort of 'print spot' that appears as if a freckle on his neck. It's a fairly common occurrence for the issue if you search existing and old listings and look at enough copies, but it's not supposed to be there as I am pretty sure he didn't really have a freckle there!

I am not sure if enough people notice the oddity to harm resale, but I once had one like that and I got rid of it in favor of one without.

And not incidentally I recall during my listing that one inquirer noticed it and asked about the spot. I explained what I thought. (They did not end up buying, but someone else eventually did...)
Old 07-25-2019, 01:42 PM
Steve Birmingham

Offload both and get a nicer one?

Not that I'd do that myself, but it's a possibility.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:18 PM
Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Offload both and get a nicer one?

Not that I'd do that myself, but it's a possibility.

I’ve thought about it, but my 56 set is pretty firmly ExMt and I like consistency. In any case, I’m trying to build up some cash to chase a Goudey Ruth.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:09 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The centering difference jumps right out at me so I'd keep the PSA one.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-25-2019, 09:14 PM
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

+1
Old 07-25-2019, 11:08 PM
Scott M.@.r.k.s.

Ignatius ~!
I knew your posts from BO, didn't know you were here also. (but I'm not here combing every thread, so theres that)

I have a bright idea.

You know I'm a Clemente collector, so why don't you sell me either one you don't want for $150.
Then you can apply said $$$ towards a Goudey Ruth.
Jokes aside sir.

Everyone likes the PSA example because of the centering, (Err, so do I) but I personally love the SGC Clemente, the overall cleanliness and brightness is amazing.
You might remember from a few of my posts, I like the "overall look" of a card, not "strictly" the centering, but we all have our wants/likes.
I'd likely be happy with either one of these to be honest.

I find myself continuously asking myself a question (and I kinda wish more collectors would ask themselves this)....
That is "What would I think if I were to actually pack pull this specific card right now upon opening a pack, regardless of year and issue?"

The answer is (for most of us, if we are brutally honest) that we would be extremely happy with this card. Or in this case, either card.

If you want to move either one of these, keep me in mind.

Successful deals with - "HCV123"/Howard Chasser, "ejstel" , "mzljapan" , "aronbenabe" , "Santo10Fan" , " Robextend", "rjackson44", "Wanaselja", "eliminator", "Dboneesq" , "Oneofthree67", "Lucas00", "ccre" , "D. Bergin" and several others.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:23 AM
And*y Quig!ey

I agree ... PSA. I'm not a centering fiend, but I think it does help that card pop a bit.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:00 AM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCollector1 View Post

Everyone likes the PSA example because of the centering, (Err, so do I) but I personally love the SGC Clemente, the overall cleanliness and brightness is amazing.
You might remember from a few of my posts, I like the "overall look" of a card, not "strictly" the centering, but we all have our wants/likes.
I'd likely be happy with either one of these to be honest.

I find myself continuously asking myself a question (and I kinda wish more collectors would ask themselves this)....
That is "What would I think if I were to actually pack pull this specific card right now upon opening a pack, regardless of year and issue?"

The answer is (for most of us, if we are brutally honest) that we would be extremely happy with this card. Or in this case, either card.

If you want to move either one of these, keep me in mind.
I guess we are in the minority, but I like the SGC card better. The white of the border is so much brighter. It makes the PSA card look old and tired by comparison.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:39 PM
Bill

Despite the really nice centering of the PSA card, I'd pick the SGC card because I think it's just prettier looking overall.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:49 PM
Scott M.@.r.k.s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
I guess we are in the minority, but I like the SGC card better. The white of the border is so much brighter. It makes the PSA card look old and tired by comparison.

This comment and "Junky Joe's" are exactly why its hard to challenge grading, and opinion.
Everyone likes something slightly different.

Truth be known, I would be happy to own either of these two cards.
Actually, if you were to examine them, one day look at one, then the next day look at the other, you likely wouldn't see enough difference where you would actually have a massive preference.
The obsessive centering enthusiasts might pick the PSA, but I think like GasHouse mentions, the whiter border makes the SGC Clemente really pop off the screen.

Ignatius should be happy whichever one he chooses to keep.

Successful deals with - "HCV123"/Howard Chasser, "ejstel" , "mzljapan" , "aronbenabe" , "Santo10Fan" , " Robextend", "rjackson44", "Wanaselja", "eliminator", "Dboneesq" , "Oneofthree67", "Lucas00", "ccre" , "D. Bergin" and several others.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:14 AM
Rachel Stone
Rachel St.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
+2

We're I looking to buy one of these, I'd pay more for the PSA card because of the centering.

Choosing between these two cards is a good problem to have.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2019, 07:17 AM
Matthew

Thanks for all of the comments everyone. I think I need to stick with both for a while because those white borders on the SGC keep pulling me back in. Thanks again.

Old 07-27-2019, 07:19 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

They are both very, very nice. I lean toward the SGC graded card because I like the color and overall brightness. The centering is acceptable to me personally.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2019, 08:20 AM
Matthew

The centering on the SGC isn’t my issue. The slight diamond cut bothers me more. Still a great card though.

Old 07-27-2019, 02:08 PM
Rachel Stone
Rachel St.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnatiusJReilly View Post
The centering on the SGC isn’t my issue. The slight diamond cut bothers me more. Still a great card though.

Educate an ignorant person here please....

When you say "diamond cut", are you referring to the slight tilt of the cut? That was why I said I like the centering of the PSA card. The tilt in the SGC card's cut catches my eye and devalues it, to me.

If that's what diamond cut means, then I learned something today. : ).

Yeah, I'm THAT dumb.

Old 07-27-2019, 03:52 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

[QUOTE=Just.Rachel;1903309]Educate an ignorant person here please....

When you say "diamond cut", are you referring to the slight tilt of the cut? That was why I said I like the centering of the PSA card. The tilt in the SGC card's cut catches my eye and devalues it, to me.

If that's what diamond cut means, then I learned something today. : ).

Yeah, I'm THAT dumb.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Yes that's what it means and no, not dumb, just learning...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:04 PM
Rachel Stone
Rachel St.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post

Yes that's what it means and no, not dumb, just learning...
Thanks. bigHUGEsmiles. ; )