NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Scott

GREAT month so far, Keep em coming
Old 12-05-2013, 09:29 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Greg:
Beautiful and elegant Wagner piece.... love the depiction of early equipment.

Bob:
Amazing photos... The Clemente is just epic, and the Bain Red Sox speaks for itself. Great stuff!

Here's a cool early Bagatelle Game I picked up, circa 1888. From the Cooper collection, it's believed to be the first ever Baseball-themed Pinball Game...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wachters.jpg (80.0 KB, 410 views)
Old 12-05-2013, 09:44 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfreedman View Post
1956 Roberto Clemente photo used for his Topps card 8 x 10
1916 Red Sox taken by George Bain 5 x 7 (This will be as close as I get to a Ruth rookie)
Nice Bob! You got your ruth red sox photo That Clemente is the BOMB.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 12-05-2013, 09:52 PM

Default Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Greg:

Bob:
Amazing photos... The Clemente is just epic, and the Bain Red Sox speaks for itself. Great stuff!

Here's a cool early Bagatelle Game I picked up, circa 1888. From the Cooper collection, it's believed to be the first ever Baseball-themed Pinball Game...
Mark,
That is an amazing pinball game Mark, I love the display pieces and that is about as good as it gets! If you ever want to move that, please let me know
Old 12-05-2013, 10:09 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Mark,
That is an amazing pinball game Mark, I love the display pieces and that is about as good as it gets! If you ever want to move that, please let me know
Thanks Bob, and yes... a nearly impossible game, let alone in this condition. It even retains 3 of the original wood balls.

We'll see what the future holds... If I somehow miraculously win "that other thing we spoke about", I will be in Emergency Selling Mode. I wouldn't hold my breath on that happening, but you never know
Old 12-05-2013, 10:52 PM
Mikeknapp

Default The God of Batting

Quote:
1916 Red Sox taken by George Bain 5 x 7 (This will be as close as I get to a Ruth rookie)
You are killing me with that Clemente image!

Here is the most recent addition to my increasingly eclectic collection. Although I dabble in Japanese baseball memorabilia I didn’t have an original photo from the Nippon Professional Baseball League. I saw this 1947 photo on eBay and fell in love with the photo’s composition without having any idea who the subject of the photo was. I googled his name (Tetsuharu Kawakami) and found that he was known as The God of Batting in Japan and is a member of their Hall of Fame. I contacted Robert Klevens of www.prestigecollectibles.com . He had this early 1950s Autographed Small shikishi by Tetsuharu Kawakami. Apparently autographed shikishis from this period are quite scarce. In addition to his name at left, Kawakami wrote "Tokyo Giants Team" in the center in Japanese. At right, he wrote the kanji for "Endeavor" signed with a traditional brush pen. If you read the link below by Robert Whiting you will learn how appropriate the use of the “Endeavor” kanji was by Kawakami. I hope to frame the photo and shikishi board together. By the way if you haven’t read Whiting’s book You Gotta Have Wa do so it is a great read.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2.../#.Up1Wu8u9KSM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Graphic1.jpg (75.7 KB, 407 views)

Last edited by 71buc; 12-05-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:26 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
You are killing me with that Clemente image!

Here is the most recent addition to my increasingly eclectic collection. Although I dabble in Japanese baseball memorabilia I didn’t have an original photo from the Nippon Professional Baseball League. I saw this 1947 photo on eBay and fell in love with the photo’s composition without having any idea who the subject of the photo was. I googled his name (Tetsuharu Kawakami) and found that he was known as The God of Batting in Japan and is a member of their Hall of Fame. I contacted Robert Klevens of www.prestigecollectibles.com . He had this early 1950s Autographed Small shikishi by Tetsuharu Kawakami. Apparently autographed shikishis from this period are quite scarce. In addition to his name at left, Kawakami wrote "Tokyo Giants Team" in the center in Japanese. At right, he wrote the kanji for "Endeavor" signed with a traditional brush pen. If you read the link below by Robert Whiting you will learn how appropriate the use of the “Endeavor” kanji was by Kawakami. I hope to frame the photo and shikishi board together. By the way if you haven’t read Whiting’s book You Gotta Have Wa do so it is a great read.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2.../#.Up1Wu8u9KSM
That is really cool... I always thought collecting Japanese and Cuban past greats would be fun but I just can't collect everything. Really nice Mike.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:25 AM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
That is really cool... I always thought collecting Japanese and Cuban past greats would be fun but I just can't collect everything. Really nice Mike.
Thanks Ben, that is great compliment coming from you. I only wish I had your collecting focus, knowledge, and resources.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Greg:

Bob:

Mark,
Beautiful early game! Congrats on this pickup.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Awesome Clemente, Bob!
Old 12-06-2013, 05:49 AM
Graig Kreindler

Mike,

BEAUTIFUL photo of Kawakami. Pretty perfectly composed, nice light, cool content - you did quite well.

Bravo!

Graig
Old 12-06-2013, 10:26 AM

Default Congrats

Quote:
Greg:

Bob:

WOW...those squared barrell bats are great!!! Congrats Mark!

Old 12-06-2013, 08:15 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Very nice photo, Mike, and I for one really appreciate your eclectic tastes. Anything you might be lacking in resources you seem to make up for in diligence and resourcefulness. Every time you snag one of these nice photos and say "I found it on eBay" I'm thinking to myself "Why didn't I see that? Is there some back room of eBay filled with such wonderment that I have somehow overlooked?" Anyway, another great find (especially with the shikishi to go with it), and I look forward to seeing what you unearth next
Old 12-07-2013, 01:41 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Thanks Ben, that is great compliment coming from you. I only wish I had your collecting focus, knowledge, and resources.
If I had unlimited resources it would be scary. I pick my battles now and got into this photo thing earlier than most. Luckily I was able to network, Educate myself and zero in on what I wanted to accomplish years ago. I was exactly where you were at 5 to 7 years ago. I, by no means, have crazy resources..just able to move things around and focus. You are on your way to building a word class collection with seemingly modest means, a great eye and many man hours. You certainly remind me of the "good old days". Great photos can still had but graduating to differt levels is inevitable my friend. don't stop while you're ahead says me! Haha!

Last edited by Forever Young; 12-07-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:39 PM
Scott

An old time guy went to the game, pasted his tickets inside, marked who played, scored on the roster page, and even cut out articles from paper and pasted them in some spots, for the upcoming game.

Just love this kinda cool stuff. WHA All star program from My homestate of Hartford.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whaas1.jpg (23.5 KB, 415 views)
Old 12-08-2013, 12:22 PM
J0n@th@n P@rker

Picked this up at a local auction this morning. Jim Leyritz G/U bat. Same bat sold at a Heritage Auction in 2006.

image.jpg
Old 12-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Mike H.

1910 Oversized Cubbie

Old 12-08-2013, 03:03 PM

Mark, great acquisition on the Wachter's Parlor Base Ball. Just for accuracy's sake, it's more reliably ascribed to 1890-91,
and possibly predated by Nash Manufacturing's circa 1889 Base-Ball And Bagatelle. Not to take a single thing away from it --
it's a beauty, probably in the best condition of any of the few surviving examples of Wachter's.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 12-08-2013, 04:23 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Well, Tanks for Nuttin, Butch (anybody remember that irritating girlfriend in Caddyshack?)

I don't want it anymore. I was under the impression this was the oldest one. In his book, Dr. Cooper has Wachter's listed as being from 1888 and the far less attractive Nash Game from 1889. Are you saying Cooper is mistaken about this??? Can we just call it a tie between Wachter and Nash for oldest?

Seriously, I care lots more about its displayability and rarity than the exact date of manufacture. But appreciate the additional info. Interesting stuff
Old 12-08-2013, 09:22 PM

Jeez, sorry, Mark! We shoulda kept our mouths shut (or our fingers off the keyboard) -- it's a great piece no matter what.

Mark Cooper will readily admit there are errors in his 1994 volume -- it was a pioneering work with almost no prior sources
or available documentation on which to rely, so there was was a lot of guesstimation involved in putting a date to many pieces.
Over time, much has been corrected and many blanks filled in by collectors and members at our Baseball Games forum,
and a great deal of that new information is thanks to the ferocious research of Hall of Fame Senior Curator Tom Shieber,
who did an incredible amount of digging to get the details right for the Hall's 2008 exhibition of Dr Cooper's collection.
The patent for Wachter's was granted in March 1891, and the earliest advertisements so far found for it appear in October 1890.
The patent for the Nash Base-Ball And Bagatelle was granted in September 1889, but we haven't yet run across
any advertising for it.

That said, there's often a substantial gap between the granting of a patent and the actual production of a game -- sometimes
a couple of years, in a few instances decades. Advertisements are often a more reliable indicator than patent or copyright dates
of when a game was actually on the market. Without more documentation on the Nash game, there's no overwhelming reason
to think Wachter's didn't hit the market first and that you do in fact have a scarce example of the oldest baseball-themed
pinball/bagatelle game made.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:23 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Wow- that's some great history. Thanks for all of the background info! I am truly amazed and impressed that you are able to document it in such meticulous detail... great stuff.

Of course I was just kidding about being disappointed. It's fascinating to study and collect these relics from Baseball's infancy, and you guys are providing a great service to our community
Old 12-09-2013, 08:44 AM
J0n Fu.ld

Mike,
Incredible Cubs pennant
Old 12-09-2013, 12:14 PM

Hi again, Mark, thanks very much for the kind words! We really were concerned we'd thrown a wet blanket over your Wachter's
(creepy as that might sound) when we'd only wanted to get some more precise info out there for ya.

We'll add, in fact, for your edification, that Wachter was Henry Wachter, who designed and patented the game,
which was produced by the Columbus Engraving Co [Columbus, Ohio] under the "Columbus Parlor Base Ball Co" rubric
(all that info solely due to the amazing research of Tom Shieber).

By the way, Yahoo has recently all but crippled our forum, but we're transcribing the entirety of its nine-plus years
of research and discussion to a new host at a new location, hopefully ready and open for business by Christmas.
Our main site (linked in our sig) remains in place (but sorely in need of updating).

Last edited by Butch7999; 12-09-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:27 PM
Mike Dugan

Love the site!
Old 12-09-2013, 07:50 PM
Shale Levine

Default 1895 baseball puzzle

Just got this delivered today. Bought it off Ebay. This is my second one I have bought. From the Thompson Novelty company in 1895 a baseball dexterity game called "The baseball puzzle and teacher".

Hey Butch what do you think of this one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (23.1 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg 003.JPG (25.9 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg 002.JPG (22.8 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg 005.JPG (31.0 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg 004.JPG (22.7 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg 006.JPG (28.6 KB, 250 views)
Old 12-09-2013, 08:11 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Default Got this today

1903 Pirates Supplement with a VERY young Honus Wagner
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (76.7 KB, 238 views)
Old 12-09-2013, 08:19 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
1903 pirates supplement with a very young honus wagner :d
bravo!

Old 12-09-2013, 09:00 PM
N@te

Eight 2013 Lance Berkman game used bats:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (81.1 KB, 221 views)

A portion of my collection on GUA:

https://gameusedauthority.com/all-co...member_id=pUnl
Old 12-09-2013, 09:01 PM
N@te

Pic 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (78.8 KB, 220 views)

Old 12-09-2013, 09:03 PM
N@te

Always forget one...

Pudge Rodriguez game used Rangers bat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (79.9 KB, 221 views)

Old 12-09-2013, 09:04 PM
N@te

Pic two
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (81.1 KB, 567 views)

Old 12-09-2013, 09:06 PM
N@te

Ian Kinsler and David Murphy game worn helmets. NFS btw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (75.1 KB, 568 views)

Old 12-09-2013, 09:06 PM
N@te

Pic #2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (76.3 KB, 564 views)

Old 12-09-2013, 11:43 PM

Shale, we're just really annoyed that you now own both of the only two examples of that game we've ever seen...

J/K, bud, that's a great pick-up! Don't forget to show it off again when our new forum opens up in a couple of weeks.

Apropos of nothing, but hey, that's our 200th post here, and it took us only four and a half years! Look out Adrian!

Last edited by Butch7999; 12-09-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:41 AM
Mike Dugan

Butch- Is there a site that covers the history of football games?
Old 12-10-2013, 08:56 AM
Shale Levine

Actually Butch, I believe Heritage had one last month that sold if I remember close to $400.00. I paid $75.00 for this one.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:51 PM

Mike, thanks for the kind words about our site! We haven't run across anything similar dealing exclusively or primarily with tabletop football games,
but we do collect a little information on them ourselves (as well as a few actual games), so if you have questions, try us.

Shale, allrighty then, "two of the three we've heard of." Still a rare item, so again, congrats! We've been so busy the past few weeks
rebuilding the forum (and with holiday-season distractions) that we've been unable to do any auction tracking lately, so we missed
the Heritage offering.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:29 PM
Mike H.

Default My first Stanfor Pottery piece

Old 12-10-2013, 05:59 PM
Dave Reese

Default Stanford Pottery

You started off with a real nice one, Mike. The Stanford Tigers is a beautiful figural. Congrats.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:10 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Awesome Mike....

Cream of the crop figural!!!
Old 12-10-2013, 06:21 PM
Mike H.

This new piece is now the cornerstone of my Tigers collection. It is about 6" tall and is the only example of this piece I have encountered.

A HUGE thank you to Mark S. (Perezfan) for making this one available. I don't know, but I think it may have been produced by Neff because a Tigers mug I own has an absolutely identical snarling Tiger head.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:31 PM
Scott

Default TY

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TY.jpg (17.7 KB, 569 views)
Old 12-10-2013, 07:24 PM
George

This one has been on my wish list for quite some time and will display nicely with the Pirates/Tigers panaromic supplement that I picked up last year. Thanks Greg!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1911 Pittsburgh Pirates Supplement.jpg (81.5 KB, 564 views)
File Type: jpg 1909 Pirates Supplement.jpg (85.1 KB, 562 views)
Old 12-10-2013, 08:04 PM
Mike H.

These two additions came via my good friend Brock!!!

Last edited by mjkm90; 12-10-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:39 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
1903 Pirates Supplement with a VERY young Honus Wagner
Greg - that's beautiful, congrats.

Doug
Old 12-12-2013, 03:52 PM
Matt

Just got these- sorry the iPhone puts it sideways
Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.3 KB, 485 views)

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 12-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Real nice Matt! Surely you don't need 2 of the same and want to sell me one!
Old 12-12-2013, 07:23 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkm90 View Post
These two additions came via my good friend Brock!!!

You are having a heckuva December! Lots of nice pickups.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGHPro View Post
Just got these- sorry the iPhone puts it sideways
Matt
Matt,
Send the iPhone photo to your computer, open it using Paint. Paint gives you and everyone else the opportunity to rotate the photo image. Save it and then send it from your computer. Give it a try. Fewer broken necks from straining to look at the image sideways...

BTW, I do this all the time because I have an iPhone

Great trophies, BTW!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 12-13-2013 at 04:38 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:55 PM

At least on my iphone it is pretty easy to rotate photos. For mine, you can open the photo by clicking on it in your camera roll, click on edit in the upper right corner, then click the turning arrow in the lower left corner to rotate the image.