NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-24-2009, 10:16 AM
D.B. Cooper

Default Email Warning: Don't Open any email with the title "Rob Buy"

I received an email from the Hotmail account of a fellow Net54 member this morning with the subject title "Rob Buy." I opened it and there was no message, however I immediately noticed that my "contacts" list was suddenly unavailable. I ran a google search for "Rob Buy spam" and apparently this email hijacks your contacts list and sends emails to others on your list. Has anyone else had this problem?

edited to add: Lest I sound like a complete crank, here's a link to Windows Live Help link discussing the issue.

http://windowslivehelp.com/community...25/344554.aspx

Last edited by Anthony S.; 09-24-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:38 AM
Archive

Hi Anthony

I have not had this happen, but last night I was on the BST and click on a link to look at some scans of baseball cards that a board member had for sale. The link took me to photobucket. I was looking at a scan after I hit the enlarge button and then something started instantly downloading into my computer. Long story short, my computer went haywire and now I'm having problems with it. This is the second time I've gotten on Photobucket then had problems with my computer. The last time (2 months ago), I had to have my computer completely restored. Not sure if this is a coincidence, but I'm heading to the computer store to talk to their technician right now.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default I got it too

I got that email and saw it was an executable file and deleted it immediately. I think it's a conspiracy.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:26 AM
Jim VB

When you guys got that email, did either of you go outside, and look up into the southern sky?

I didn't think so.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantz View Post
Hi Anthony

I have not had this happen, but last night I was on the BST and click on a link to look at some scans of baseball cards that a board member had for sale. The link took me to photobucket. I was looking at a scan after I hit the enlarge button and then something started instantly downloading into my computer. Long story short, my computer went haywire and now I'm having problems with it. This is the second time I've gotten on Photobucket then had problems with my computer. The last time (2 months ago), I had to have my computer completely restored. Not sure if this is a coincidence, but I'm heading to the computer store to talk to their technician right now.
Jantz,

I had nearly the exact same thing you describe happen to me about 6-8 months ago. Since then, I've been wary of clicking on links to PhotoBucket.

Rob
Old 09-24-2009, 11:38 AM
D.B. Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
When you guys got that email, did either of you go outside, and look up into the southern sky?

I didn't think so.
Oh, they don't let me outside anymore, Jim.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:40 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony S. View Post
Oh, they don't let me outside anymore, Jim.
Understandable.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Jantz,

I had nearly the exact same thing you describe happen to me about 6-8 months ago. Since then, I've been wary of clicking on links to PhotoBucket.

Rob

What? No witty barbs? No shot at "you know who"? Must be a busy day at work.

Edited to add: Does this mean I have to stop trusting my own Photobucket account?

Last edited by Jim VB; 09-24-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:37 PM
Dan Bretta

On another note I received an email that appeared to be from a Net54 member saying that he commented on my facebook or something like that, when I opened the email it tried to infect me with a virus, but my Norton caught it.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:46 PM
Jim VB

Serious question. (I know. A rarity for me.)

Did these pseudo emails look like they came directly from Net54 members or did they look like they came through the Net54 email system?
Old 09-24-2009, 04:57 PM
D.B. Cooper

Jim, The email I received was from someone I did a deal with a couple months back, so my email address was in his contact list. It was from his Hotmail address, not the Net54 system. I should have made that clear in my initial post. Obviously, this bug/trojan/whatever hijacked his contact list and sent these emails out. I've since changed my email password just in case. My contact list is back and everything is running smoothly. The only connection to Net54 was that this was a fellow member I had done business with. I know he's done trades/bought from others, so that's why I started this thread.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:49 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
On another note I received an email that appeared to be from a Net54 member saying that he commented on my facebook or something like that, when I opened the email it tried to infect me with a virus, but my Norton caught it.
Rats..foiled again.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:04 PM
Archive

Jim VB - Rob.D and I are both Ohioians. We follow a secret code of never using our sarcasm against other Ohioians. The penalty is season tickets to the Browns.

As far as the Photobucket question, I'm not sure. I also have a Photobucket account and have never had a problem. Only when I click onto someone else's photo album do I get problems. If the link would have been labeled as a Photobucket link I would have stayed away. I spoke with a tech earlier today and he explained some things to me. One thingis for sure, it has happened twice now and the repairs are getting costly.

Anthony - I'm glad everything worked out fine for you. My situation is going to cost me.

Jantz

Last edited by Jantz; 09-24-2009 at 09:09 PM. Reason: added more
Old 09-24-2009, 09:06 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
The penalty is season tickets to the Browns.
What does it mean that I pay yearly for that penalty?
Old 09-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Archive

Just a little Ohio humor thats all Matt. I watch and root for them too. Just wish they would win a few more.

Jantz
Old 09-24-2009, 09:29 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Just a little Ohio humor thats all Matt. I watch and root for them too. Just wish they would win a few more.
Jantz - I know it all too well. Anyone want Browns/Jaguars tickets in January? I'll sell them at face...
Old 09-24-2009, 09:43 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Jim VB - Rob.D and I are both Ohioians. We follow a secret code of never using our sarcasm against other Ohioians. The penalty is season tickets to the Browns.

As far as the Photobucket question, I'm not sure. I also have a Photobucket account and have never had a problem. Only when I click onto someone else's photo album do I get problems. If the link would have been labeled as a Photobucket link I would have stayed away. I spoke with a tech earlier today and he explained some things to me. One thingis for sure, it has happened twice now and the repairs are getting costly.

Anthony - I'm glad everything worked out fine for you. My situation is going to cost me.

Jantz
I'm a closet Ohioan. I lived outside Columbus from 1995-2005. I did like Ohio, a lot. But the weather is better in Texas. (It was COLD here this morning! 58 degrees! Coldest overnight low since may 11th! It was on all the local morning newcasts.)
Old 09-25-2009, 08:01 AM
Pup6913

Anthony this happened a few days ago I opened a similar email from a freind I had not talked to in a while. It was blank. The next day all of you and my entire contact list got similar emails but titled different. I have run the virus protection sweep and changed the password on my account to hinder further problems. If any of you get an email from me titled anything other than sports related delete it. I will contact through the board first before I email you. I am sorry for any inconvience this may have caused.

Andrew
Old 09-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Daryl

Try using Malwarebytes http://www.malwarebytes.org/ to clean up any virus/spyware problems. I've used it for a few years now and it does a great job.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Jeff

Default Buy a Mac!

I have had none of those problems after switching to a Mac.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Archive

Thanks Daryl. I downloaded it and ran it thru my PC

I hear you, Jeff. I am considering that.

Jantz