NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-07-2010, 11:41 AM
Dynarl Broughman

Default Knute Rockne Tribute

I picked up this Knute Rockne tribute at an antique shop yesterday. It measures 23"x19" folded to 12"x10". It is dated April 5, 1931 and has printed in the U.S.A. in small letters on back. Does anyone know anything about this item. Thanks for any help! D.

Added scan below first ones look like copies. More of a sepia look. D.

Last edited by D. Broughman; 02-16-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:04 AM
Dynarl Broughman

Here is a better scan of Knute Rockne. D.

Last edited by D. Broughman; 02-16-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:50 AM
Rick P

I have no specific information on this one, but as a longtime collector of radio broadcast memorabilia I can confirm that it was very common during the early 1930s for sponsors to mail out printed copies of radio speeches and commentaries. That practice was encouraged in those days as a way of measuring listenership and also as a reinforcing bond with the sponsor. Printed materials like this might also have been available at local dealerships of national broadcast sponsors like Ford.

The fact that the name of the sponsor is prominently mentioned on your Rockne piece leads me to suspect this might have been one of those early broadcast souvenirs. It's a superb piece.

Last edited by Oldtix; 02-08-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:24 AM
Dynarl Broughman

Thank you for the information Oldtix. D.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:13 PM
Mike Henson

Knute with Babe and Lou
Attached Images
File Type: jpg babe_ruth_in_ND_jersey,_gehrig_in_SC_1927 (777 x 603).jpg (58.5 KB, 80 views)
Old 02-08-2010, 05:03 PM

Default Rockne memorial items

Rockne died March 31, 1931 so your pamphlet was produced just 5 days after he died.

These don't surface too often, but I've seen a few. I have one I picked up somewhere many years ago. There seems to have been quite a bit of posthumous/memorial Rockne stuff produced, like little statues and such. I have this one paperbound booklet thing that sensationalizes the plane crash he was killed in, by claiming it was mysterious or something...I'd have to dig it out but point is, all this stuff show how popular he was.

I only have a cursory knowledge of the subject, but I recall reading somewhere that the Rockne family imposed litigation to stop the production of a small statue that was produced of him because they didn't care for the likeness...or something. I think it was the gold colored one in the photo below that has something leaning on it.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Dynarl Broughman

Carlton I don't usually collect football memorabilia but found this item in a box of different items that were priced. This item was not marked so I ask how much and thought it was worth the $5.00. Thanks for the information it was very interesting. D.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:50 PM

Default Christy Walsh was also Rockne's Agent/Business Mgr.

And the reason Rockne was on the plane that fateful day was, he was coming to Hollywood to consult on the movie about his life in which Walsh put together.

Here's a ticket stub from the "Rockne Memorial Game" that the Irish played in his honor.
knuterockneticket.jpg

TYPE I photo of Walsh & Rockne and famous "Gipper" ticket stub.
rocknewalsh.jpggipperticketstub.jpg
Old 02-09-2010, 06:49 AM

Default Boy oh boy Mike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by henson1855 View Post
Knute with Babe and Lou
That has to be one of the finest pieces of sports memorabilia I have ever seen!

Would love to hear the story on that one.

Best, Jimmy
Old 02-09-2010, 08:48 AM
Rick P

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonHendricks View Post
I have this one paperbound booklet thing that sensationalizes the plane crash he was killed in, by claiming it was mysterious or something...I'd have to dig it out but point is, all this stuff show how popular he was.

I think this is the booklet Carlton is referencing. It's a hilarious read...raising all sorts of questions about the cause of the wreck. After providing lurid descriptions of the crash scene and the condition of Rockne's body, it finally builds to the this thrilling climax:

"In gathering all the comments upon this tragic accident, the author of this book has talked with scores of fliers, eyewitnesses and investigators.

Two causes for the plane wreck have never even been mentioned in the public press, yet men versed in flying all over this country are discussing -- NOT FOR PUBLICATION -- their real, secret opinions...

They say that either the plane was unfit to fly and that weakened parts gave way without warning, to send the plane plunging in its death dive, or ---

The plane had been deliberately tampered with so that it would lose part of its wing!"

It goes on to say that since the plane was less than two years old with a relatively small number of flying hours, then "only one explanation remains: Someone tampered with the plane!"

"The reader is left to judge for himself."

I imagine most of them judged they'd wasted a quarter.

The 32-page booklet is filled with many unusual photos of the crash site and the funeral and a summary of Rockne's career. Well worth the quarter today!
Old 02-09-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henson1855 View Post
Knute with Babe and Lou
I'm not a photo guy mainly because I like bigger stuff...but that's one heck of a photo....and interesting....what's going on there? Babe in a Notre Dame FB uniform....Lou in a U. So. Cal one...and then the felt Stanford banner laying across the table...It looks like they're there to eat, and then to first get Ruth, Gehrig, and Rockne all together for the event....then to get Ruth and Gehrig to monkey suit up....it must have been an important event to get all that going....and to top it off it's signed!!...I'm assuming those are real autographs....ya know what....you don't want that cheesy thing....mail it off and I'll get it out of your hair...

OK so what's the whole story? Where and how did you get it? What's the who what when where how? What's the dimensions? Is it a wire photo? Have you ever seen another? Is that like a $25,000 photo?

Old 02-09-2010, 12:24 PM
Clint

I've been a Rockne and ND fame since I was a kid. I read a book on his life in grade school and became an instant admirer. He was more than just a great coach and if you get the chance read a bio of him.

I don't really collect Rockne items but my first major football card purchase was his 55 Topps All American card in the 70's for $5. I also have one other item that will never leave my collection. It's a piece from the crash. My dad and I stumbled upon it at an auction. It's a great reminder of that tragic day in Kansas when a great coach and man died.

Here's a report on the accident.
http://www.irishlegends.com/Pages/re...lections5.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg rockne.jpeg (14.4 KB, 32 views)