NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-24-2018, 10:52 AM

Default How did you handle renege by eBay vendor?

We're certain this has happened to several members here, but it's a novel experience for us,
so we're wondering how you handled it when an eBay vendor reneged on an auction you'd won.

In a nutshell, won an auction with an automated snipe Monday afternoon. It went fairly cheap,
although we did have to outbid another potential buyer. Physically large item with reasonably large S&H.
Paid as soon as we got home Monday evening, adding, as we always do, a friendly note asking the vendor
to take care in packaging.

Monday night the vendor messages us via eBay to say how shocked and insulted he was
that anyone would have the nerve to tell a "retired postal inspector" how to package for shipping,
and that he was going to lose money on the deal because eBay forced him to include a too-low shipping price.

We replied via eBay telling him there was nothing to be shocked or insulted about, and that
we'd happily reimburse him actual shipping costs after the item arrived.

Tuesday morning he writes demanding more money (off eBay) for shipping, then again asking if
we'd received his demand (we hadn't, we were out and not at our e-mail). We deliberated that night
whether or not to pony up.

We were about to respond Wednesday morning when we found he'd already written again to declare
that the "48-hour deadline" had passed (huh?), and since we'd not acceded to his demand, he was
cancelling the sale.

Obviously the whole thing is just this joker not getting whatever price he'd wanted for his item,
but just maybe he should've started the bidding higher. And just maybe a vendor with 1500 feedback
should know how to adjust the shipping price. It doesn't appear we've been hit with a non-paying bidder strike,
but we'd love to sock it to this clown somehow. Any ideas?
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 11-24-2018, 10:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

A punch to the gut seems warranted. Karma is his worst enemy. I would let it go at this stage in my life (if I were you). Twenty or thirty years ago I would have been more enraged. But now, things just piss me off and I tend to let them go more easily.

Last edited by Leon; 11-24-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:08 AM
Scott Russell

You can share his off ebay emails looking for more money with Ebay. They won't take kindly to that. Ebay basically doesn't care what anyone does, unless it costs THEM fees.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 11-24-2018, 11:25 AM

If it would be difficult to find and/or obtain another like item and you really want to keep the transaction alive, I'd reach out to eBay to let them know you still want and expect the seller to send the item, sharing the communications from him to you. Maybe eBay will threaten the guy with suspension or revocation if he doesn't follow through.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:26 AM

Thanks for the early responses so far. And apologies for our ambiguity -- he wrote via eBay messaging
to demand we send him more money privately off eBay, not writing us privately off eBay.
Seems self-incriminating.

Leon, that's probably wise advice, but we've adhered to that most of our lives and it just seems like
it gives some people license to walk all over us. Now that we've been card-carrying AARP members
for many years and it feels like time's growing short, we're less inclined to take things lying down...

iCollect, yeah, a scarce item for sure, but not terribly rare, let alone unique -- we'll eventually see another
and in much better condition, just not for the very nice price at which we won that auction. The guy's
attitude ticked us off as much as not receiving what we'd promptly paid for (he did refund us).

Last edited by Butch7999; 11-24-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I admit to not always practicing what I preach. ....but in theory it's great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch7999 View Post
Thanks for the early responses so far. And apologies for our ambiguity -- he wrote via eBay messaging
to demand we send him more money privately off eBay, not writing us privately off eBay.
Seems self-incriminating.

Leon, that's probably wise advice, but we've adhered to that most of our lives and it just seems like
it gives some people license to walk all over us. Now that we've been card-carrying AARP members
for many years and it feels like time's growing short, we're less inclined to take things lying down...

iCollect, yeah, a scarce item for sure, but not terribly rare, let alone unique -- we'll eventually see another
and in much better condition, just not for the very nice price at which we won that auction. The guy's
attitude ticked us off as much as not receiving what we'd promptly paid for (he did refund us).
Old 11-24-2018, 12:07 PM
Bill H@e1ig

I hope leave appropriate feedback as well
Old 11-24-2018, 12:15 PM
Scott Russell

If he sent you that message on ebay it's even easier to report him as they can look up his communications when you call.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 11-24-2018, 03:48 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
If he sent you that message on ebay it's even easier to report him as they can look up his communications when you call.
Yes call ebay tell them about the communications and they will not take kindly to it....
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:37 PM
Eric Bea.chley

I probably would have sent the cash then, after the item arrived, let eBay know I felt pressured in order to get the item and ask eBay for a refund.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:56 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch7999 View Post
the vendor messages us via eBay to say how shocked and insulted he was that anyone would have the nerve to tell a "retired postal inspector" how to package for shipping
How did he expect you to know he was a retired postal inspector?
Old 11-24-2018, 08:44 PM

Gary, what, you didn't know either?!

Old 11-25-2018, 09:13 AM
Belltown Vintage

When I get a super-great deal, I pay fast and keep my mouth shut other than to say 'thank you'.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:19 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
You can share his off ebay emails looking for more money with Ebay. They won't take kindly to that. Ebay basically doesn't care what anyone does, unless it costs THEM fees.
AND this is so true of FEE bay. They are the lowest of the low Philipine companies that ever existed. They are scum. PERIOD. I would shoot the guy an e mail telling him to F off and that he is a loser PERIOD, but he is retired from the postal service, so that speaks for itself.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:32 PM

Default A friendly reminder about shipping protection backfired

I had a very similar experience last year.

A few years ago I started sending a note to each eBay seller I bought from, kindly asking each to harden and weatherproof the packaging so it survives all the way to my house - this after receiving numerous crumbled or wet items over the years. Initially these comments were well received and I do feel it made a difference. In the time period I was doing this I had no further damage to speak of.

Then I finally encountered someone who was incredulous and deeply offended to receive such a request. He immediately cancelled my order and basically said to go ahead and report him to eBay but he wouldn’t send the items. Of course I really wanted these items and pleaded my case but he wouldn’t budge. That was it. I never got them and regrettably haven’t even seen them for sale again on eBay since.

I thought about it and decided that the risk of not receiving what I purchased outweighed the risk that the item would arrive damaged. The reality is that most items I buy at this point are difficult to find or offered infrequently so I don’t want to take that chance again.

I stopped sending my little shipping instruction note. So far everything has arrived undamaged and I’d like to think this is due to eBay sellers higher standards for shipping these days but just don’t know.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:56 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
When I get a super-great deal, I pay fast and keep my mouth shut other than to say 'thank you'.
There are such things as miracles after all.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 11-25-2018, 03:02 PM
Banned

lol
Old 11-25-2018, 05:01 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
There are such things as miracles after all.
Ben, not to take away from your moment of wit, but I learned this behavior during the famous BL 460 event of 2002. At least one current board member learned the hard way.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:28 PM
Curt

Just a thought, but sometimes people may have had to deal with picky buyers about shipping and if someone mentions it up front, it might be a red flag to that seller that they may be getting a hard to deal with buyer.

I have done the same thing myself though after getting packages that were beat up. Some people just don't get it I guess.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:34 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

I had one "picky" buyer this season, two months ago someone bought a photo off of me. He asked me to write "hand-deliver only" all over it because items haven't been arriving for him, and he wasn't sure if it was the mailman or someone stealing his packages. So I did, it showed as delivered a few days later, and I didn't hear from him, thinking all was good.

Last week, over 6 weeks after it was delivered, he opened a case against me because he never received it. Still hasn't communicated directly with me. Kinda frustrating.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:34 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
Just a thought, but sometimes people may have had to deal with picky buyers about shipping and if someone mentions it up front, it might be a red flag to that seller that they may be getting a hard to deal with buyer.
^^THIS^^ Some buyers are crazy. Just look on this forum, some people freak out and make a thread about how something was shipped when it arrived perfectly.

I have had buyers freak out because they did not get their card in a new penny sleeve, new top loader, in a new team bag.