NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-29-2013, 08:38 PM
Skip

Default Card for Player with Shortest Career

I had the good fortune to sit down and speak with Bobby Durnbaugh last Friday. He played in two games for the Cincinnati Reds in 1957 and said his callup was the best week of his life.

Bobby did not have a card produced, but it made me wonder what pro player had a card published but had the shortest career in the majors?
Old 03-29-2013, 08:48 PM
Jake

I would guess Moonlight Graham, but his case is unique.

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Old 03-29-2013, 08:52 PM
Derek Granger

Default Eddie Gaedel

It would have to be Eddie Gaedel!! He quite literally had the "shortest" time in the majors!!

1.000 career OBP ain't ba either!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 03-29-2013, 08:54 PM
Pete Sycks

There was that guy who was hit in the head from the Marlins on his first AB and never made it back to the show until he made a campaign for himself last year. I think the mets picked him up this year.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 03-29-2013, 08:54 PM
Jack Vernon

Hal Stowe's up there with 1 game played for the Yankees in 1960 then for no good reason he got a card in 1962 Topps
Old 03-29-2013, 09:06 PM
Ed

How about Memo Luna 1954 Bowman #222 pitched 2/3 of an inning in one game for the Cardinals and took the loss in his only big league appearance.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:19 PM

Emil Geiss got about five too many poses in the Old Judge set for his one start in the majors. One it which he gave up 17 hits and 11 runs.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 03-29-2013, 09:28 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Let's nominate Ray Ryan who was in the T206 with Roanoke among other sets. He was active with the 1908 White Sox, but never appeared in a game. He went on to become a prominent minor league manager and president of the Appalachian League.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:34 PM
Randy Trierweiler

Default Bobby Durnbaugh DID have a card

1957 Omaha Cardinals
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0005.jpg (22.9 KB, 672 views)
Old 03-29-2013, 09:49 PM
Bruce C@rter

Larry Yount. He was a relief pitcher that started to warm up on the mound and hurt his arm. Never threw a pitch officially ever. Is that too short?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yount.jpg (21.1 KB, 662 views)

Last edited by Texxxx; 03-30-2013 at 06:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-29-2013, 09:51 PM
pariah1107

For t206 fans, Hunky Shaw had one plate appearance for the Pittsburgh Pirates (0 for 1, one strikeout) in 1908.

Last edited by pariah1107; 03-29-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:15 PM

I can't name any off-hand, but I would think quite a few players made their way onto a Topps multi-player rookie card without ever appearing in a major league game. Also, in the early 90s, all the card companies started coming out with cards of "players" who had just finished high school and were sent to play Single A ball. It was part of the rush by the card companies to have the earliest pre-rookie card of promising young players. I'm sure that many of these guys never made it to the majors, but haven't done the research to identify any of them.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:25 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
I can't name any off-hand, but I would think quite a few players made their way onto a Topps multi-player rookie card without ever appearing in a major league game. Also, in the early 90s, all the card companies started coming out with cards of "players" who had just finished high school and were sent to play Single A ball. It was part of the rush by the card companies to have the earliest pre-rookie card of promising young players. I'm sure that many of these guys never made it to the majors, but haven't done the research to identify any of them.
I don't follow 1990s cards, but I think Michael Jordan appeared on a baseball card, and he never got higher than Double A.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:28 PM

/

Last edited by howard38; 09-10-2020 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:39 PM
Paul Stewart

Larry Yount was also my answer. Since he was called over the PA and he was officially inserted into the game, he is listed in baseball reference as having played in one official game. But he did get hurt warming up and was never to return. Didnt know he had a card. Back in the day, topps would make tons of cards of up and commings who never made it. I think MLB(Selig) got involved because of people couldnt figure out which card was each players real rookie card(kind of sounds like our over-involved gov't) and stopped topps from making cards of players in their base set until they have played in a game. Someone may know or have a better explanation than mine.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:17 AM

In the recent era, it would be Adam Greenberg with the Cubs. He was hit by a pitch on the first pitch for his first time at bat. Then he came back last year with the Marlins & struck out. Lifetime 0 for 1. There are many different baseball cards of him.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:35 AM
Casey Moore

I'm going with this guy:

http://www.amazon.com/Olbermann-Clos.../dp/B008REEPDE
Old 03-30-2013, 08:41 AM

In 1914, the Pirates had a catcher named Sam Brenegan. In his first major league game, he came on in the sixth inning on defense, as the Pirates were losing 8-1 to the Cardinals. Fred Clarke gave George Gibson the rest of the game off and gave a 23-year-old rookie his debut. With a man on base, the pitcher uncorked a wild pitch and Brenegan walked after the ball allowing the runner to move up. A few pitches later, a passed ball tips off his glove, hurting his finger. Brenegan walked after the ball, picks it up and walks to the bench, taking himself out of the game. Needless to say, the Pirates dropped him and he never played in the majors again. Brenegan is in the 1914 Zeenut set
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 03-30-2013, 09:28 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Shortest career for an active T206 player in 1909

This story doesn't quite fit in this thread, but is connected in a way. Granted the T206 set is populated by several players who never played a major league game. Granted, as well, that Mike Powers was 38 years old in 1909, the first year of the T206 issue, and had been in the majors and minors since 1896. I'm also sure that many of you know the story recounted below, but hopefully it will be new to some. Powers card in the 150 only series was not included in subsequent issues, due to the events that transpired on opening day in 1909, Powers' last game.

Opening Day April 12, 1909 was looking good for the Athletics as over 30,000 were on hand to dedicate the new Shibe Park. It looked even better with the 8-1-victory over Boston. Powers was happy to be catching his buddy Plank.

However, that Easter Monday took a strange, fatal twist. To this day, it’s not entirely clear just what happen to Mike Powers. It was a mystery, at least the viewers and probably to his teammates as well. The root of the problem was never pinpointed in contemporary accounts.

What is known is that Powers wasn’t feeling well and by the seventh inning he was slumped over in the dugout with violent pains. Blame was later attached to “an unusual effort to reach a ball (which) did some mysterious damage.” He had crashed into the wall trying to catch a ball in foul territory.

Other reports suggest he was hurt diving for a foul ball. Still others lay blame on a sandwich he consumed during the game; in fact, they all might have contributed to the problem or, perhaps, none of them did. A preexisting, unrecognized problem may have just decided to show itself on April 12.

Whatever he felt in the 7th inning, Powers pushed through and finished the game. But, he collapsed getting dressed in the clubhouse shortly after the game and was taken to Northwestern General Hospital. Initially he was diagnosed with gastritis and/or peritonitis.

The first of three operations took place the morning of the 14th. It was found that he had an invaginated intestine. A Surgeon removed a section of the intestine. The prognosis was bleak; doctors only gave Powers a 1 in 5 chance of surviving.

Powers agonized in the hospital. He endured two more operations and he couldn’t eat. Gangrene was infecting his bowels. It would prove fatal.

Certainly the story line that Powers died as a result of injuries sustained while crashing into a fence chasing a foul ball has some appeal, but it is probably more likely urban legend. From a medical and surgical perspective the condition Powers suffered from, intussusception, probably just surfaced on that day and would have resulted in the same outcome, with or without the foul ball and regardless of whether Powers played that day or not.

As a result of his 1 game career in 1909, Powers T206 card is somewhat rarer and carries a premium value due to relative rarity. Hopefully I'm not just preaching to choir, but in my defense the story also has a tie in to Easter.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:53 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texxxx View Post
Larry Yount. He was a relief pitcher that started to warm up on the mound and hurt his arm. Never through a pitch officially ever. Is that too short?
Talk about disappointing.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:32 AM

Default Manuel Onis (1 for 1 for Brooklyn, 1935) in 1972 TCMA "The 1930s"

This question bugged me for about a day until it struck me that the guy's name was kind of unusual, began with "O" and was (probably) in the early (unnumbered) card series of the 1972 TCMA "The 1930s".

Manuel Dominguez "Curly" Onis (1908-1995) went 1-for-1 in a single game for the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1935. (See http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...onisra01.shtml )

TCMA honored him among the first 72 (unnumbered) cards of the increasingly popular (and difficult to complete) "The 1930s" series - a collection of more than 504 different cards and TCMA's largest. Cataloguers have assigned #56 to Onis' card - placing the those first 72 in alphabetical order for numbering purposes.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:33 AM

Last edited by howard38; 09-10-2020 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:13 AM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

I love the story of John Paciorek (His brother Tom was a local Mariner hero of my youth....yes, we had to stretch for hero's here in the NW in those days, lol). He is a great trivia question as arguably the greatest 1 game performer in history. Here is a link to his Wikipedia -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Paciorek

He went 3/3 with 3 singles and two BB's in his only MLB game. There have been several 1/1 days of one game performers, but 3/3 is the best. This is the only card I could find for him -

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 03-31-2013, 05:02 AM
Rich Klein

Default Btw

That game in which Paciorek went 3/3 is also known as the "All-Rookie" game as the Colt 45's started an entire lineup or rookies. Here is a good link to stories on that game

Other trivia facts on that game include Jay Dahl would be killed in an accident in 1965 and be the youngest person to play major leaguer to die (Age 19)

http://www.astrosdaily.com/history/19630927/

Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 03-31-2013 at 06:09 AM. Reason: learning to read would be good
Old 03-31-2013, 08:24 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
That game in which Paciorek went 3/3 is also known as the "All-Rookie" game as the Colt 45's started an entire lineup or rookies. Here is a good link to stories on that game

Other trivia facts on that game include Jay Dahl would be killed in an accident in 1965 and be the youngest person to play major leaguer to die (Age 19)

Rich
His name doesn't appear in the box score.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:31 AM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
This story doesn't quite fit in this thread, but is connected in a way. Granted the T206 set is populated by several players who never played a major league game. Granted, as well, that Mike Powers was 38 years old in 1909, the first year of the T206 issue, and had been in the majors and minors since 1896. I'm also sure that many of you know the story recounted below, but hopefully it will be new to some. Powers card in the 150 only series was not included in subsequent issues, due to the events that transpired on opening day in 1909, Powers' last game.

Opening Day April 12, 1909 was looking good for the Athletics as over 30,000 were on hand to dedicate the new Shibe Park. It looked even better with the 8-1-victory over Boston. Powers was happy to be catching his buddy Plank.

However, that Easter Monday took a strange, fatal twist. To this day, it’s not entirely clear just what happen to Mike Powers. It was a mystery, at least the viewers and probably to his teammates as well. The root of the problem was never pinpointed in contemporary accounts.

What is known is that Powers wasn’t feeling well and by the seventh inning he was slumped over in the dugout with violent pains. Blame was later attached to “an unusual effort to reach a ball (which) did some mysterious damage.” He had crashed into the wall trying to catch a ball in foul territory.

Other reports suggest he was hurt diving for a foul ball. Still others lay blame on a sandwich he consumed during the game; in fact, they all might have contributed to the problem or, perhaps, none of them did. A preexisting, unrecognized problem may have just decided to show itself on April 12.

Whatever he felt in the 7th inning, Powers pushed through and finished the game. But, he collapsed getting dressed in the clubhouse shortly after the game and was taken to Northwestern General Hospital. Initially he was diagnosed with gastritis and/or peritonitis.

The first of three operations took place the morning of the 14th. It was found that he had an invaginated intestine. A Surgeon removed a section of the intestine. The prognosis was bleak; doctors only gave Powers a 1 in 5 chance of surviving.

Powers agonized in the hospital. He endured two more operations and he couldn’t eat. Gangrene was infecting his bowels. It would prove fatal.

Certainly the story line that Powers died as a result of injuries sustained while crashing into a fence chasing a foul ball has some appeal, but it is probably more likely urban legend. From a medical and surgical perspective the condition Powers suffered from, intussusception, probably just surfaced on that day and would have resulted in the same outcome, with or without the foul ball and regardless of whether Powers played that day or not.

As a result of his 1 game career in 1909, Powers T206 card is somewhat rarer and carries a premium value due to relative rarity. Hopefully I'm not just preaching to choir, but in my defense the story also has a tie in to Easter.
Great post Frank.

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 03-31-2013, 09:30 AM
Randy Trierweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post

Rich
John Paciorek's game was actually 2 days later than the all rookie game.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/P/Ppacij101.htm
Old 12-08-2013, 10:13 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMitchell View Post
This question bugged me for about a day until it struck me that the guy's name was kind of unusual, began with "O" and was (probably) in the early (unnumbered) card series of the 1972 TCMA "The 1930s".

Manuel Dominguez "Curly" Onis (1908-1995) went 1-for-1 in a single game for the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1935. (See http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...onisra01.shtml )

TCMA honored him among the first 72 (unnumbered) cards of the increasingly popular (and difficult to complete) "The 1930s" series - a collection of more than 504 different cards and TCMA's largest. Cataloguers have assigned #56 to Onis' card - placing the those first 72 in alphabetical order for numbering purposes.
I've been looking at a baseball I recently won from the Heritage Auction that had items from Musial's estate and I believe that Onis is one of the players who played with Musial on the Navy team and signed this ball (second from the top in this image if I am not mistaken, not sure what the nickname is...) Ironically, Lou Klein, who broke Onis's knee in a slide and ended his career also signed the baseball...

Last edited by Topnotchsy; 12-08-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:04 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texxxx View Post
Larry Yount. He was a relief pitcher that started to warm up on the mound and hurt his arm. Never threw a pitch officially ever. Is that too short?
He was the one that immediately popped into my head.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:42 PM

My nominee is Ollie Fuhrman. Six games:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1922 E120 Fuhrman [Front].jpg (34.6 KB, 240 views)
Old 12-09-2013, 12:16 AM

I'll offer up Ernie Cox. Only pitched 1 inning in one game in 1922, and still was pictured on a card 5 years later:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl.../coxer01.shtml

Old 12-09-2013, 04:09 AM
Barry Sloate

What about Lou Lowdermilk? Not only did he have a card, but it is an iconic one in an important tobacco set.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:26 AM
ErikV

Default Re: Card for Player with Shortest Career

I'm not sure if this fits your definition, but I just read this recently:

Hall of Fame manager Walter Alston played in only one game,
September 27, 1936 as a substitute for future Hall of Famer Johnny
Mize. In his one plate appearance Alston struck out.

No card was ever produced for Alston as a player, but approx 40
cards were issued of him as a manager.

ErikV
Old 12-09-2013, 09:01 AM
Jesse Lent

Are there any cards out there for the most famous 1 day player, Billy Crystal? He signed a 1 day contract with the Yankees and led off a spring training game as the designated hitter and struck out on 6 pitches.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBird View Post
Are there any cards out there for the most famous 1 day player, Billy Crystal? He signed a 1 day contract with the Yankees and led off a spring training game as the designated hitter and struck out on 6 pitches.
Although he struck out, Paul Maholm nearly walked him and Crystal did foul off a pitch.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:39 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Tom Selleck had a card in an Upper Deck set but I don't think he ever played; he did so much batting practice with the Tigers that the players called him "Magnum BP".

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-09-2013, 11:57 PM
FredYoung

2 guys I saw play in the old PONY Lg (1951) & then the NY-Penn Lg (around 1966) back in my hometown of Wellsville, NY both had Topps cards but never played a day in the bigs. Angel Scull & John Thibdeau
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 54tscullf.jpg (48.3 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg 54tscullr.jpg (77.9 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg 69Thibf.jpg (52.7 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg 69Thibr.jpg (53.7 KB, 118 views)
Old 12-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Den*nis O*Brien

Default Bob Leroy Powell

Bob was a pinch runner in 1 game during the 1955 season. In 1956 Topps erroneously showed # 17 (Chico Carresquel) in the action portion not # 21, which was Powells # that year. Bob returned in 1957 for 1 game and scored a run as a pinch runner...This time he did have uniform # 17 but no card and never an AB.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan7.jpg (78.5 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg Scan8.jpg (77.6 KB, 94 views)
Old 12-10-2013, 03:59 PM

One of the iconic cards in this hobby pictures a man who never played an inning in the major leagues. Irving Lewis, one of the toughest crds in the T207 set, was a member of the Boston National League team for some time after the season started, playing in exhibition games but never getting into a regular-season game.