NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-18-2017, 02:53 PM
Banned

Default Telephone number history

Does anyone know what period they used 5 digit telephone numbers like this one

Old 03-18-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyFarino View Post
Does anyone know what period they used 5 digit telephone numbers like this one

That is not a "five digit" phone number. Telephone exchanges used to have names. One such name was Murrey Hill. The phone number is MH 6-8826--you would dial 646 8826.

Youngster.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
That is not a "five digit" phone number. Telephone exchanges used to have names. One such name was Murrey Hill. The phone number is MH 6-8826--you would dial 646 8826.

Youngster.
Thanks for schoolin me...now I just need to pinpoint the era of this stamp
Old 03-18-2017, 05:15 PM
Rob

I loved those old names.

Ours was TUxedo 5-1505. 50 years later, it still rolls off my tongue.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:18 PM
Steve Birmingham

I looked it up once, and from what I recall the change to all numbers over the exchange being named varied from place to place, I'd think NY was fairly early in the change while small towns were probably last. (I grew up in a town that still had at least one crank phone and a switchboard while I lived there, and I'm not that old. ) And since the number dialed didn't really change a business might not have changed anything for a few years.

Steve B
Old 03-18-2017, 05:49 PM

Phone numbers became standardized at seven figures (letters or numbers) in 1931. Some cities had two-letter/four digit dialing before that, and some had three-letter/four digit dialing. A standard system of two-letter/five digit dialing was phased in thru the 1930s. The letters in all cases were the first letters of an exchange name -- MUrray Hill, SPring, COlumbus, UNiversity, INgersoll, TRiangle, HUBbard, COPley, KIRkland, etc. etc. etc.

The changeover to all-number dialing was very gradual, beginning in 1958 and continuing into the 1970s. The transition was smoothest in small towns, where there were generally only one or two local exchanges, and most difficult in large cities where there were many neighborhood exchanges and often emotional attachment to the exchange names. New York City held out the longest, with some of the old exchange names in use as late as 1978.

However, your photo's stamp is pre-Zip Code. And there is no postal zone number present either. (In NYC, postal zone numbers were incorporated into Zip Codes. I grew up in Bronx, 53, NY, which became Bronx, NY 10453.) The United States Post Office Department implemented postal zones for numerous large cities in 1943. So the stamp is pre-1943, even though the photo event was 1946. Still using an old stamp.

Last edited by David Atkatz; 03-18-2017 at 05:51 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:13 PM
Rob

I remember using this site, years ago, while reseaching something collection related:

http://ourwebhome.com/TENP/TENproject.html
Old 03-18-2017, 09:56 PM
Jonathan Sterling

I live in house my parents originally bought in 1962 and have a rotary dial phone on the wall which still has 2 letter exchange. I still like dialing a number from time to time..
Old 03-20-2017, 08:24 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Phone numbers became standardized at seven figures (letters or numbers) in 1931. Some cities had two-letter/four digit dialing before that, and some had three-letter/four digit dialing. A standard system of two-letter/five digit dialing was phased in thru the 1930s. The letters in all cases were the first letters of an exchange name -- MUrray Hill, SPring, COlumbus, UNiversity, INgersoll, TRiangle, HUBbard, COPley, KIRkland, etc. etc. etc.

The changeover to all-number dialing was very gradual, beginning in 1958 and continuing into the 1970s. The transition was smoothest in small towns, where there were generally only one or two local exchanges, and most difficult in large cities where there were many neighborhood exchanges and often emotional attachment to the exchange names. New York City held out the longest, with some of the old exchange names in use as late as 1978.

However, your photo's stamp is pre-Zip Code. And there is no postal zone number present either. (In NYC, postal zone numbers were incorporated into Zip Codes. I grew up in Bronx, 53, NY, which became Bronx, NY 10453.) The United States Post Office Department implemented postal zones for numerous large cities in 1943. So the stamp is pre-1943, even though the photo event was 1946. Still using an old stamp.
Darn memory. Recalled it wrong between small towns and NYC.
I blame the fact that I grew up in a town with a non- Bell company phone system.

Steve B
Old 03-22-2017, 11:03 AM

David

That was a really informative answer that I enjoyed reading. Thanks for the detailed information! What are all these millennials going to do when you cant look up life experience on the internet?
Old 03-27-2017, 07:37 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
David

That was a really informative answer that I enjoyed reading. Thanks for the detailed information! What are all these millennials going to do when you cant look up life experience on the internet?
Scratch their neck beard, squirm around in their skinny suits and down a $6 cup of coffee of course. Get off my lawn.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 03-28-2017, 04:29 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:

Youngster.

I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure that the Murray Hill exchange was dialed MU.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure that the Murray Hill exchange was dialed MU.
I think you're right, Tim.