NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-21-2004, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Default Joe DiMaggio Gamer

Posted By: Dave

Thank you for reading my post about a vintage Joe DiMaggio gamed used baseball bat. I see most posts are about cards, packs, and musings so if this is off topic and you are not interested...sorry...and I will ask the moderator to erase this post. Hopefully this is read by a vintage bat expert. A reply about more information in regards to authentication and value would be appreciated.

Is PSA was a good place to turn in order to obtain a LOA / COA? Whom would you select? The decision has been made to list this item on eBay as soon as a LOA / COA is obtained. The bat could be made available to view in person in San Francisco at the Labor Day Tri Star card show. I took numerous digital images. The gentlemen in his 70s received this bat in person at a game above the dugout from the bat boy. I have no reason to doubt his story. This bat could really be special. I tried Google and other searches but came up empty. Any experts or expert advice?

Thank you.

Images can be seen here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60596&item=5120870393&rd=1

Old 08-21-2004, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

If you are going to be in NorCal, you should look up Mike Montbriand. He is the bat expert, but I'm not sure if he is invovled in the hobby anymore. Since I jsut recently got back into the hobby, others will be able to tell you if he is still active or not and how to get ahold of him.

Jay

Old 08-22-2004, 12:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: nickinvegas

Dave,
I would not send the bat to PSA(or GAI), I would take it to them personally. If it is authentic I would think it would be worth $20K+. It shows nice use and even a few notches on the handle(for homers).

The bat apears to be from Dimagio's early years(1934-44). By looking at the label you can tell approximently the year. H&B used the "trade mark reg." on their bats during this period.

You could get a specific year with by finding out which model it is and matching that up with the model Joe used for that year. Unfortunatly they did not start putting model numbers on the bats knob until 44'.

A very nice bat.I love Joe Dimaggio, I still hate the Yankees!

Nick

Old 08-22-2004, 06:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: mjkm90

That is a gamer or a bat made for Dimaggio. He used bats 35 - 36" long. Contact Dave Bushing for authentication. Bushing is dbushing1 on ebay or you can call (847) 816-6847. Nobody is better or more trustworthy when it comes to equipment. 20k easy.

Old 09-02-2004, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Eveything checks out. The bat has been listed on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60596&item=5120870393&rd=1

The opening bid is only $5,000. It should sell for much more but who knows!

If you would like to view the bat in person, it will be on display at the Tri Star card show starting tomorrow in San Francisco. Thank you for looking.

Please email or respond to this post with any questions, comments, etc.

Regards, Dave

Old 09-03-2004, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

PSA said:

"Although we cannot confirm the bat as being 'game-used' by Joe DiMaggio, we cannot rule out the possibility."

If you believe the consignor, then you know that this bat once sat in the Yankee bat rack with a bunch of other bats... but there is no proof that it ever saw GAME action.

Definitely a NICE piece... but just not as nice as it would have been if there was proof that it was taken to the plate by Joltin' Joe.

Old 09-03-2004, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob L

I'm surprised that PSA couldn't narrow down the history of the bat a bit more. The last issues of Sweet Spot News had an article on the problems that Malta and Taube had initially on authenticating a bat that was determined to be DiMaggio "streak" bat. Certain markings by H&B on the bat narrowed down the history of the bat to July/August of 1941. They ultimately determined that the bat was a likely streak bat. With all that research they did on that DiMaggio bat, you would figure they would be pretty good at narrowing down the time frame on the bat. After all, the time frame of 1940 to 1944 that they give for this bat is fairly broad and DiMaggio was in the service in 1943 and 1944.

Old 09-08-2004, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scarecrow

I'm very surprised that there are no bids on this bat. A Dimaggio gamer equals big $$$. I wouldn't mind taking a shot at it but I'm wondering if everyone knows something I dont. Any thoughts on the slow bidding?

Old 09-08-2004, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Read this thread again ... and read the item description.

NOBODY says this bat was used in a game by Joe DiMaggio.

It was ORDERED for him ... and used at SOME TIME by SOMEBODY ...

but there is no proof that Joltin Joe ever TOUCHED IT, much less took it to bat in a REAL game.

Old 09-08-2004, 11:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

I always find it to be somewhat curious how certain game used equipment is always so much more precisely identified and dated when it appears in two of the hobby's most prolific auctions. I guess some consignors just have all the luck.

Old 09-09-2004, 07:58 AM
Administrator

We tried to describe the bat accurately based on the data provided and will ask the consignor more questions. A cute story was not created. We are an honest company and trying to accurately portray the item. This should make everyone happy because if you locate more data, huge value could be created. Hopefully the original owner can fill in some of the blanks. However, he is 80 years old give or take and received the item 60+ years ago. Hal Lewis, take a break! Did you remember what you had for lunch two weeks ago Tuesday? Are you really bothered by the fact that the bat may not be a 1941 bat with Joe DiMaggio DNA on it? You should be happy because you could never afford it in this case. MW is correct about how large auctions always manage to create an amazing story. This DiMaggio bat is a fantastic opportunity. I would rather pay $5,000 - $20,000 for this bat versus $200,000+ for a 1941 bat that is only as good as the letter and looks identical. Buy the bat...not the letter...just like graded cards!

Old 09-09-2004, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy Leiderman

"Hal Lewis, take a break!...You should be happy because you could never afford it in this case..."

I wouldn't bet on that Dave!

Old 09-09-2004, 08:22 AM
Administrator

I won't comment on whether I could afford the bat...

but I am merely pointing out to people why others are not bidding on it.

I am NOT saying that it isn't worth the money ... because it certainly is ...

but I am only pointing out why it is not garnering the number of bids that a true "gamer" would.

I agree with YOU that it is "funny" how the major auction houses have NO PROBLEM remembering what they "ate for lunch" in 1941 ... and getting a Letter of Authentication for it!!!

I am merely pointing out to people why a RAW rare card would NOT get near as many bids as a truly AUTHENTICATED rare card. Just my two cents.

Sorry that you were offended by me only pointing out EXACTLY what PSA said in their LOA. Believe me... people will still bid on the bat.

Old 09-09-2004, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Ecklund

Dave, as someone who is trying to sell something I would think you would know better than to insult a potential customer, especially when you know very little about them.

There were several vintage card dealers who wouldn't give me the time of day 10 years ago (when I was 14) because they didn't think I had the money to buy their cards. I never forgot how they treated me and still won't buy from them today, even when they have something I've been looking for. You never know how your actions of one day will affect transactions in the future.

Just a thought...

Old 09-09-2004, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob L

Dave, I remember what I had for lunch two weeks ago Tuesday: Chicken Burrito Supreme, Chicken Soft Taco and a medium iced tea at Taco Bell. BTW, I'm sure many people on this board could afford this bat. It's not wise to piss off potential customers.

Old 09-09-2004, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

I echo what the previous posters have said, PLUS, you posted looking for advice (free, i might add) and possibly advertising (free, again) then decided to insult a regular poster in our own house. What's up with that? What value added have you given this forum?

Old 09-09-2004, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

that with these kind of items you ARE buying the paper (provenance) and it IS very important to the sale...actually makes all the difference in the world....but alas I am not a memorabelia collector anyway.......For cards I absolutely agree that you should buy the card and not the holder......later

Old 09-09-2004, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Hal, You seem like a decent guy. Sorry for the harsh reply. I thought your intentions were malicious. You were simply pointing out all of the negatives and leaving out the positives. That is like leaving out all the leaving out all the negatives and pointing out only the positives. It was obtained at a game from the bat rack. To me, this means it saw action and almost certainly by Joe. Stating otherwise is not fair. It all depends if you are the buyer or seller I guess. If more (new) data can be obtained from the seller, it will be posted and emailed to potential bidders. Thank you. Dave

Old 09-09-2004, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: martindl

I collect bats, jersey's, cards, you name it.

Dave,
You really should take the advice that was posted in this thread and have Dave Busing look at it. You can contact him via SCD. He has access to H&B's factory records and with his stamp of approval I'm sure you'll have no problem with getting bids.