NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > Baseball Memorabilia B/S/T

Old 07-19-2011, 08:18 PM
Marty

Default Petitto busts

Anybody have any Petitto busts from the early 50's they are looking to sell? Or have any photos you'd like to share?

Marty
Old 07-21-2011, 09:32 AM
Marty

Here's a pic of one I had for a short while (and would like to get back again)!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spahn_pettito.jpg (15.6 KB, 227 views)
Old 07-21-2011, 02:34 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Default John Sain

I have an "in-sain-ly" rare Johnny Sain Bust that I could potentially sell. I have never seen another in 20+ years of collecting these. Since you collect them, I would be eager to hear if you know of any others.

Anyway, feel free to email or PM if you have interest. I also have the Ted Williams prototype from this series. It is solid metal (not plastic) and it weighs a ton. I believe it to be a one-of-a-kind piece.

Thanks and happy collecting!
Mark
Old 07-21-2011, 03:33 PM
Jon Canfield

Not sure if this link will work but an interesting read on the busts from Baseball Digest, July 1949...

http://books.google.com/books?id=3jI...0busts&f=false

Last edited by canjond; 07-21-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:52 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Great read.... thanks for posting!

That's the first I have ever seen anything published about this obscure set of busts. The only exmples I have actually seen are Jackie Robinson, Ted Williams, Warren Spahn and the single Johnny Sain. I wonder if there are others.

I have similar (in size and structure) Joe DiMaggio and Bob Feller Busts, but they are not marked "Petitto Studios". I believe Brock from our forum came into a Ted Williams about a year ago, but other than that, these rarely get a mention.

Interesting that the author chose to talk about the sculpting of the Johnny Sain Bust. Anyway, I have it (and it did turn out to be rare).

If anyone cares to see a picture, I can post one, perhaps this weekend.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:15 PM
Marty

Great article - thanks for finding that! 1949-1950 certainly seems to make the most sense based on the ones I have seen. The only ones I have on hand right now are a Ted Williams and a Ralph Kiner (that was supposedly from his personal collection, but not verifiable - still pretty neat). I had the Spahn and an Alvin Dark as well, but sadly, no more. And the plastic Jackie Robinson candy container that was also done by Pettito, of course. I did see a few others several years back - maybe I saved off a picture...

I have never seen anything about them as far as how they were distributed. They are not common, but being made of a plastic material, you would think they would have had to have lasted in a reasonable number proportionate to how many were produced.

I would love to see a pic of your Sain - be nice to get an idea of which ones are out there.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:01 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Here is the Sain, along with 4 others.

L to R....

Robinson Candy
Robinson Non-Candy
DiMaggio
Sain
Felller

As stated above, the Feller and DiMaggio Busts are similar in composition, but appear to be made by a different company than Petitto. Maybe Brock will post his Ted Williams. If I remember correctly, it is missing the clear bottom tray portion... but is still a great display piece (and very rare).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BUSTS 003.jpg (74.3 KB, 190 views)
Old 08-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Marty

Sorry - this work stuff always gets in the way of a good conversation! Here's a pic of my Kiner and Williams. I actually saw another Williams a few years back sculpted with no hat. Seems like they did lots of players and multiple variations - surprised I don't see these more often - the plastic makes them fairly indestructible!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (74.0 KB, 142 views)
Old 08-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Brock

Here is the Ted Williams version I have that Mark referenced
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (24.6 KB, 127 views)
Old 08-10-2011, 07:02 AM
Marty

Thanks for posting Brock! Lots of different styles on these, it seems. I have also seen an Alvin Dark and a Mickey McDermott, and one of Joe D's brothers (but I forget which one!)