NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-18-2011, 12:45 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Default Fake Whitey Ford auto on eBay...PSA/DNA

This 1954 Topps Whitey Ford auto has been certified by PSA/DNA, but is a fake. It looks nothing like the other Ford autos that I have. Here is a good pic (not mine) of what Ford's auto is supposed to look like. Notice the "y" and the "F" look nothing alike.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:16 PM

Who the hell would bother to fake a Whitey Ford autograph!?
(And even I have a hard time believing PSA really authenticated it.)
Old 03-18-2011, 03:31 PM

What's next fake Bob Feller autographs?
Old 03-18-2011, 06:17 PM
Vincent Hecksel

Default Why bother to fake a Whitey Ford autograph ?

I know nothing about Whitey Ford autographs, other than they are/were fairly common. But I also have no idea how scarce a signed 1954 Topps card of Whitey Ford is either. But I do know there are plenty of niche collectors of signed sportscards. And I've been told many times that the most heavy collected team-oriented autographs are of the Yankees and Red Sox. So if the ratio of signed 1954 Topps cards to other Whitey Ford autographs is a one-out-of-ridiculous high number, I could see the strong potential for someone to attempt to capitalize on such a niche market, either lawfully, or not.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:33 PM
J@RR0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexsHeroes View Post

I know nothing about Whitey Ford autographs, other than they are/were fairly common. But I also have no idea how scarce a signed 1954 Topps card of Whitey Ford is either. But I do know there are plenty of niche collectors of signed sportscards. And I've been told many times that the most heavy collected team-oriented autographs are of the Yankees and Red Sox. So if the ratio of signed 1954 Topps cards to other Whitey Ford autographs is a one-out-of-ridiculous high number, I could see the strong potential for someone to attempt to capitalize on such a niche market, either lawfully, or not.
I have a signed '54 Topps Whitey Ford. I doubt they are that scarce. Mine has JSA and I think I paid about 50 bucks for it.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:16 AM
Scott

That number does match up in PSA's database, but there is no picture..haha.

I honestly can't fathom that being a good Ford. Ive seen autos from all thru his life, and none have looked like that.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:14 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I'll play devil's advocate, and say it's real...

I've seen his signature like that, with the "flourish" absent at the end of the "Y" and the different style "F". It's a style you see less than 10% of the time, and perhaps it's his "hurried" version. But I have seen this different type continually authenticated by JSA and PSA, both.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:51 PM
Jon Canfield

I also agree with Mark. Here is another in-person auto:

Old 03-19-2011, 07:28 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Yep... that's the one. Thanks, Jon, for posting it.

If I had more time, I could find a bunch more like this. I have seen quite a few in-person and authentic Whitey Ford autos in this less ornate/hurried style. They are not the norm, but definitely do exist.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:45 PM
Karl Mattson

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
(And even I have a hard time believing PSA really authenticated it.)
I don't - it only took me about 5 minutes of searching to find a number of PSA- and JSA-authenticated Ford autos that look just like it. Unless they're all fake, also.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:36 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Default Ford signature

One more vote for "real". For what it's worth.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:46 AM
Scott

This thread is an example of one of the good things about this forum. I never had seen a Ford that looked like that, and now I'm reading about others like that that are authentic, and saw the ball. You learn something new all the time on here.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:41 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I still think it's a fake. I'm no hand writing expert, but I feel people's signatures don't change over the course of their life. Maybe I'm wrong. I do know that I obtained this Ford signature at a TriStar show in Arlington, TX probably 5-7 years ago. I also have a few other Ford autos that I didn't obtain in person, but they look the same.

Ford had a bottle of Coors light under the table and would take a drink when he thought nobody was looking. I was standing in another autograph line at the time and he caught me looking at him. He smiled, took a drink and put the bottle back under the table. Maybe too many Coors lights affect his signatures
Old 03-21-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
I feel people's signatures don't change over the course of their life.
Actually, the exact opposite is true for anybody who picks up a pen. Each person's handwriting undergoes its own evolution over the course of a lifetime.

Also, I've seen Whitey drinking Coors Light at shows. One time, he signed his empty and gave it to a collector in exchange for a full bottle!

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 03-21-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Mikeknapp

I agree that it is likely real. Here is one I got in person at show in 1994 for further comparison.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Whitey Ford.jpg (68.5 KB, 156 views)
Old 03-22-2011, 10:41 PM

This would have likely been signed fairly soon after the card was released.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg see.jpg (41.6 KB, 113 views)
Old 03-24-2011, 01:16 AM
Brandon M. Grunbaum

I think its interesting you still think its a fake...You said you're not a handwriting expert, and you're comparing a flat surface signature to a round signed baseball. PSA experts say its real but you're still on the fence? Where's the logic here? I have seen many signatures change throughout the years, my own included. Even today my own rushed "I'm at the bar sign this check" signature looks nothing like my daily take my time signature. I think I'm going to side with the 98% of the responders to this thread and say 100% REAL.

(Over 99.9% of all statistics are made up on the spot)
Old 03-24-2011, 08:06 AM
Paul

Real.

If you're an autograph collector and you think that all signatures from the same player should look the same, then you may want to rely a little more heavily on third-party authentication -- not less.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206