NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-04-2006, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Default Anyone else able to do this??? I'm not happy!

Posted By: pete

Pry open a PSA holder with your fingernail???? yes, I used my index fingernail to open up 2 PSA holders and I didnt even break my nail. I heard a slight rattle as I set one down next to my computer while sorting them. I'm tempted to try the 3rd one seeing how I bought 3 cards from a board member to see if there was any funny business going on but I dont believe so. The 2nd one I pried open did not have any rattling at all, completely sealed all the way around. I just stuck my nail in there and gave it a try and it opened too.

These weren't high graded cards and all 3 cert #'s did check out with PSA. But I am disappointed in PSA (not the board member) for skimping on security.

Anyone else have a problem with crappy seals on PSA holders??

Old 03-04-2006, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

you have strong fingernails! some psa seal do come apart easier than others, but i've never tried the fingernail trick.

Old 03-04-2006, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

you drink lots of milk, huh? (just kidding, I know you meant the seal was weak...

Old 03-04-2006, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Pomilla

yesterday I cracked open a PSA holder and whereas in the past I've had to spend much time before I could get the thing to yield, this time the seal gave way to my knife point in a matter of seconds. So fast in fact, I was afraid I'd damaged the card, not being prepared.

Old 03-04-2006, 10:59 AM
Administrator

i was tempted to open the 3rd holder and yes it popped right open with my nail...and in no way am i straining one bit to open the holders, i run my nail along the bottom 2-3 times at the most and pop! but now i found a fourth card that i bought from the same board member but on ebay (first 3 on b/s/t) and popped it right open, this time i measured the card and it came up thin by 1/16...doesnt seem like a lot but it does when you consider the card received a VG-EX 4 by PSA.

i'm not accusing yet but only because the holders in question were all submitted fairly close to each other (cert. #'s ending 6170, 6183, 6184, 6193) is it possible that the sealing "thing-it-ty-bobber" PSA was using was not working right?

or should i feel B.B.B.M. (betrayed by board member)????

Old 03-04-2006, 11:08 AM
Administrator

do the borders of the cases show cloudiness? the seals should never just "pop" up....did u hear the plastic bond "cracking" as you were prying the 2 slabs apart?

edited for grammar

Old 03-04-2006, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Since all came from the same source, you have to consider tampering. Is there any sign of residue like from glue on the edges?

Old 03-04-2006, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jpaol99

I've never tried to open a PSA case with my fingernail, but have been able to open them within seconds with a screwdriver. I've busted cards out of all three companies slabs and PSA's are by far the easiest. Once you get the seal to start cracking you can take it apart in two perfectly whole pieces. SGC slabs on the otherhand, usually have to be broken in a corner or two before being pryed apart.

Justin

Old 03-04-2006, 11:48 AM
Administrator

none showed cloudiness and i only heard cracking on 1 of them...although i only opened them about 1/2 way down the sides and the bottom...i also found another psa holder from another source and tapped it on my hand and it made the same rattle noise, so my guess is that i would be able to crack that one out as easy as the others, so im thinking that the tampering is out, which is good. im going to check "ALL" my psa holders later today

now should i call psa and have them re-slab the cards? im not a member anymore, should they do this for free?

Old 03-04-2006, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glenn

Wouldn't you just crack them out again?

Old 03-04-2006, 01:56 PM
Administrator

psa will not reslab the cards if they find the cases have been tampered with, you will have to go through the grading process again.

of course this will give you more reason to crack the cards out and send them to sgc, which is where the cards should've gone in the first place since sgc is the best at grading cards and the most consistent and they have the best graders and they're the most accessible and their cases look the best and blah blah blah and etc etc etc.

Old 03-04-2006, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Let's hope Nosferatu doesn't hear about this.

Old 03-04-2006, 03:44 PM
Administrator

if i hadnt been to your place of work, i'd swear you work for sgc...i agree with you 100% and i should just send them to sgc

as for "cracking them out again"...no, i want them sealed like they are suppose to be, this way if i do sell them at a later date, i dont have to worry that someone is doubting me

Old 03-04-2006, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

A fingernail??? Man you have strongnails.... None of the companies, except Beckett, are that hard to open, but SGC is the easiest for me. I can open one in less than 10 seconds with zero chance of damaging the card, and very little to the case. But, a fingernail??? Sounds like they missed the sonic sealing procedure. Be well Brian