NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-05-2017, 10:22 AM
J!m Be@m

Default 1956 Ted Williams #5 - Line variations over name

I would like to learn more about the different line color variations over the name on the '56 Ted Williams card. My questions: How did this happen or what might have caused it? Is one variation more common than another? Is there any difference in card values due to a certain color line? I "Googel'd" his but found nothing very specific about it. Thanks for the help.

Jim
Old 08-05-2017, 12:03 PM
Al Richter

Jim---the line "variants" in the 56 set happen in many of the cards. They have been pointed out for some time, but not aware of any premiums to date. I think they are just print offsets

Dick Gilkeson I think listed it in his variations publications from the late 80s and early 90s and Richard, who posts here as brightair lists it in his lists

https://sites.google.com/site/richar...riations-lists

http://www.oldbaseball.com/refs/Vari...ifferences.pdf

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 08-05-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:24 PM
J!m Be@m

"Thank You!", Al. I appreciate your reply and the links you provided. Will be looking at my cards in more detail now that I know what I am looking for.

Jim
Old 08-06-2017, 05:40 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

These were graphics I created a few years ago for a thread somewhere on this site, but I'm not sure which one it was, so I'll load them up here. They show a couple of different things to look for and has three different versions of the upper line color variation…

williamsvariation1.jpg

williamsvariation2.jpg

williamsvariation3.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:14 PM
Dave H@rford

Default Using the line-over variations

For my Ted collection,
So far, I just use the line over variations with the card-stock color.

Topps (Gray Back)--Green Line Over Name
Topps (Gray Back)--Yellow Line Over Name
Topps (Gray Back)--Lt Blue Line Over Name
Topps (White Back)--Yellow Line Over Name
Topps (White Back)--Green Line Over Name

While, I acknowledge the variances that Jolly posted, most all are based on card-stock variances. Finding each variation above is not difficult, although finding a PSA/SGC 7 or higher grade card is MUCH easier for the Gray back/Lt Blue Line and the White back/Yellow line variations than the others. There are no premiums for any variation over the other.

Dave
Old 08-07-2017, 04:52 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harford20 View Post

While, I acknowledge the variances that Jolly posted, most all are based on card-stock variances. Dave
????????????????

Cardstock can't create cropping differences, and the cropping differences are always matched with the color.

Steve B
Old 08-07-2017, 07:34 PM
J!m Be@m

All good stuff, everyone - Thanks. For what it is worth, I have a PSA 7, Gray Back, Yellow line. Need to dig it out and verify it against JollyElm's examples. Jolly, what color backs are on the two "yellow" lines you show?

Jim
Old 08-07-2017, 08:45 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
For my Ted collection,
So far, I just use the line over variations with the card-stock color.

Topps (Gray Back)--Green Line Over Name
Topps (Gray Back)--Yellow Line Over Name
Topps (Gray Back)--Lt Blue Line Over Name
Topps (White Back)--Yellow Line Over Name
Topps (White Back)--Green Line Over Name

While, I acknowledge the variances that Jolly posted, most all are based on card-stock variances. Finding each variation above is not difficult, although finding a PSA/SGC 7 or higher grade card is MUCH easier for the Gray back/Lt Blue Line and the White back/Yellow line variations than the others. There are no premiums for any variation over the other.

Dave
There is also a red line variation and a no line variation.

I disagree on the premium. Price guides may not reflect it, but I believe there is.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:14 AM
Al Richter

If someone is trying to complete a full list of the possible Williams variants, such as the one listed by Hartsfords ( or one expanded as you suggest David), I would assume there would be some scarcer versions that would draw a higher price among collectors competing for a full "set"

My guess would be that those seeking one example for a set or player collection would not care much which version they picked up if the card otherwise met their condition parameters

The line differences are not limited to Williams, and in general I have not noticed premiums for such cards. Williams may be an exception ...as he usually is

I wonder if one spent the effort it would turn out all cards in the set have atleast one line variant.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:53 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56Horsehide View Post
All good stuff, everyone - Thanks. For what it is worth, I have a PSA 7, Gray Back, Yellow line. Need to dig it out and verify it against JollyElm's examples. Jolly, what color backs are on the two "yellow" lines you show?

Jim
Hey Jim.
When I made those graphics, it was through ebay screen captures, so I have no info on the backs.

--elm

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Old 08-08-2017, 03:13 PM
Dave H@rford

Steve,
The color of the ink on the card was different (one brighter/deeper than the other) between the gray and the white card-stocks. When I first read about the cropping variations, the cards I looked at with a given crop (either the hat or the shirt lines) seemed to correspond to the ink color and the corresponding card-stock color. I'll admit, the sample size I looked at was not large (and maybe I assumed it was ONLY the card stock difference a bit early). If there are cropping variances within the same color card-stock/same color line Ted cards, I have not seen enough cards to catch that.

David,
As I have not seen the red line and the no-line variations, are these available with both card stocks? Are these the versions that seems to have a premium cost attached?

Dave
Old 08-09-2017, 12:51 PM
Steve Birmingham

AH, ok that makes sense.

I read it as you saying the differences were caused by the cardstock, rather than being consistently on one stock or another.

I can see the lines being consistent within a print run. These were all laid out by hand, and I don't think much care was taken to make them identical.
That's a bit odd, there should have only been one piece of original art, they must have been using a picture and assembling the team names onto the picture when they assembled the mask. It's probably a bit easier to make the names and position/team boxes all at once, but it leaves room for a LOT of mistakes and sloppiness.

I checked my two, and I've got the green line (like the top card ) with a white back, and one with a very thin blue line with a gray back.

Steve B

Quote:
Steve,
The color of the ink on the card was different (one brighter/deeper than the other) between the gray and the white card-stocks. When I first read about the cropping variations, the cards I looked at with a given crop (either the hat or the shirt lines) seemed to correspond to the ink color and the corresponding card-stock color. I'll admit, the sample size I looked at was not large (and maybe I assumed it was ONLY the card stock difference a bit early). If there are cropping variances within the same color card-stock/same color line Ted cards, I have not seen enough cards to catch that.

David,
As I have not seen the red line and the no-line variations, are these available with both card stocks? Are these the versions that seems to have a premium cost attached?

Dave
Old 08-09-2017, 02:12 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
These were graphics I created a few years ago for a thread somewhere on this site, but I'm not sure which one it was, so I'll load them up here. They show a couple of different things to look for and has three different versions of the upper line color variation…

Attachment 282970

Attachment 282971

Attachment 282972
I checked mine and it is like the middle one. Yellow line, Teds Jersey has the dark line cut off and the small shadow, and a white back.

Now to bring the slab into it. I have the very old SGC slab that just has the SG on the flip. I know that has to add to how rare it is.

Last edited by bnorth; 08-09-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:12 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Hey, I found the original thread I referred to earlier. It was from 2014…

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=185244

Casey Stengel