NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-21-2009, 07:09 PM
James Gallo

Default Blank Back Boston Store Cards

I just picked up a few of these cards that were labeled Boston Store by SGC.

I have a few questions.

The cards have very odd cuts but with clean backs. Any idea if there was some type of advertising piece these could have come from? They are all commons so I don't think these would be like the Cracker Jack cards that were cut from the display.

I also have the question in to SGC as to how and why they labeled them as Boston Store? Wouldn't the fronts of both the Boston Store and the Collins-McCarthy cards be exactly the same?

Thoughts?

James G
Old 12-21-2009, 07:19 PM
Rhett Yeakley

James, they aren't really Boston Store cards. The grading companies don't really have much of a clue as to what the designation is on these, and I don't know that I blame them as they really don't have a designation. For example M101-4's and 5's are the designation when blank backed, W575-1 is the designation when the E121 series is blank backed, but these have never really been catalogued. I personally have always simply referred to them as E135 Blank Backs, as they are likely a candy issue, but theoretically they could have come with anything.

Of all the E135-like backs the blank backs are certainly tugher than either E135 Collins-McCarthy's or the H801 Boston Store cards. They are more similar in difficulty to the D328 Weil and D350-2 Standard Biscuit cards. However, they have never really had the premium attachec to them as the latter two as they aren't as interesting. Also, the true E135 Blank backs all should be factory cut.

This, however, was a mistake by the grading company (which is more unforgivable than your examples):

Hope this helps,
-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 12-21-2009, 07:59 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

tough cards and under appreciated.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:21 PM
Joe P.

Default One More Time .....

Graders are NOT Authenticators!

Learn to do your own research.

Anyone that relies totally on grader information is still a newbie.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:34 PM
James Gallo

Ahh all those look about the right size. Check these babies out

The bottom border on the Zeider is huge and the top isn't short. Same goes for the Schupp alough it isn't as big. The Schang was certainly cut down.

All three of these cards seem to be cut on all sides and certainly not machine cut. They certainly doesn't seem to match the above cards.

Is it possible that one central company produced the cards with black backs and that the BS and CM are stamps that the specific companies used?

James G

Last edited by JamesGallo; 12-21-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Val Kehl

Default A Few More E135 Blank Backs

A few E135 blank backs that were nicely cut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E135BlankBk-Front.JPG (59.9 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg E135BlankBk-Back.JPG (49.6 KB, 148 views)
Old 12-22-2009, 12:15 PM

I'm surprised to hear that the blank backs are so tough. I have six E135 style cards. Two are blank back, two are Boston Store, one is Collins McCarthy, and one is Standard Biscuit. I guess six is far short of a scientific sampling. All appear to have factory cuts.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:19 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
I'm surprised to hear that the blank backs are so tough. I have six E135 style cards. Two are blank back, two are Boston Store, one is Collins McCarthy, and one is Standard Biscuit. I guess six is far short of a scientific sampling. All appear to have factory cuts.
Here's our past discussion on the topic.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:06 PM
Todd Schultz

Default here are a couple more, which I may have posted previously

James, yours are unlike any I have seen, and do appear to have been cut from some sort of sheet, given the wide borders.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:33 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Not Owned by Me

This is the toughest back

Old 12-22-2009, 09:17 PM
Jeff

Default E135 Blank Back

James,
I picked this one up at the National a couple of years ago as a type. It is labeled as a Collins-McCarthy and I have always assumed it was a sheet cut due to the irregular edges/borders.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:36 PM
James Gallo

Jeff,

That is more like what I have.

I just have to think there is some common source for the odd cut cards like this. The ones I have certainly came from the same source as they were graded at the same time with a large group of boston store cards.
My gut says there has to be something to all this blank back stuff.

Frank

What the heck is that card and is it catalogued anywhere?? VERY COOL

James G
Old 12-22-2009, 11:54 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Hi James,
The Ruth is not mine, I actually dont remember who owns it. The scans were sent to me a few years back (asking info on it) and I had them saved. Ive only seen maybe 4-6 example of the Merchants cards ever, and that one just happened to be the Ruth. Very Rare and early Ruth card, I dont believe they are cataloged yet, but it is from the E135 group
Old 12-23-2009, 06:57 PM
Josh Adams

Very interesting and informative thread. Glad I clicked on it!