NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Pup6913

Default Cigarette Packs Question

Can any of you pack experts verify this listing as true. I can see from the pics it appears to be unopened but will it contain a card of any type????

I am just wondering if it may. Just looking. Thanks in advance.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Honest-Long-Cut-...item4a9d80ced4
Old 01-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Marvin J.

need better pics of the tax stamp....
Old 01-03-2010, 02:38 PM

Default Packs

Jon Canfield would be the one you want to run that one by.....his contact info and web site are listed in the vintage links area. His website is also bvery helpful. The Vintage Links area:

http://net54baseball.com/forum/conte...tagelinks.html
Old 01-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Jon Canfield

Hey Andrew - that pack is not correct for the cards. Based on the style of tax stamp, it appears to have been issued in the 1930s. The correct HLC pack will have a blue tax stamp band with DeWitt Clinton's head and overprinting in big bold red letters that read 1911, for example.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:32 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Just once I was would like to see someone post a pack with all the necessary info, perfect scans, etc. 99% of the time it's hyped, and it's missing info, scans, etc. (Purposely) If it had the real stuff, it would be at an auction house.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Joe
Joe Lind.way

Hello and Happy New Year everyone!

This Honest pack is mine...and I thought I did a good job with the pictures. Not sure what all the necessary info would be that I don't have listed. I have pack size, pack weight, pack condition. I would think the factory, district and overstamp are under the outer wrapper and not visible.

I didn't go through an auction house because of the horror stories I've heard lately. As of right now, this is the quickest and easiest way to auction anything off.

This Honest pack which was auctioned off in 2005 has the identical tax stamp as the one I'm selling...
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/723062

I was going off that auction result when originally listing the pack. I still think it's very fair and would be an excellent display piece!

Any comments, please fire away!!
Old 01-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

NYHighlanderFan:

The one you mentioned has the wrong tax stamp also. Like Jon said, it needs a Dewitt/Clinton stamp with 1911 overprinting in red.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Scott

For sure, any tobacco packs like those are awesome displays, card or not. Sometimes, people think that everyone is trying to deceive them. NY Highlander fan seems to have been going by what he thought was correct. I wish him the best with his auction.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default everyone makes mistakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
For sure, any tobacco packs like those are awesome displays, card or not. Sometimes, people think that everyone is trying to deceive them. NY Highlander fan seems to have been going by what he thought was correct. I wish him the best with his auction.
I am sure the ebay item was listed in good faith with information at hand. Then, when new information makes the description incorrect, it is up to the seller to change it, or leave it. It's not mistakes that define people it's how they are handled....best regards
Old 01-05-2010, 02:46 PM
Jon Canfield

NYHighlanderFan - I checked out the link you provided. Unfortunately, that pack is also misidentified. GAI, for the most part, knew absolutely nothing when it came to dating cigarette/tobacco packs and most of the packs they have slabbed are incorrectly labeled and the years quoted are downright wrong.

I can see exactly what you used for the date and identification of your pack and I doubt you were trying to deceive anyone.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:48 PM
Jon Canfield

As a follow-up, if I get out of work tonight at a decent hour, I will scan my HLC pack with the correct tax stamp to help shed some light on what I'm talking about regarding the red overprint on the tax stamp which correctly dates these packs. Unfortunately, the pack you have pictured does not have the proper tax stamp for the 1914 issued date attributed to it.

Edited to add - while this may not be the greatest photo of what I'm talking about, if you look at the HLC pack I have pictured in the scan here: http://www.baseballandtobacco.com/t227.htm or here: http://www.baseballandtobacco.com/t205.htm, you will see the bold red overprinting on the top of the tax stamp where the glare is.

Last edited by canjond; 01-05-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Joe
Joe Lind.way

Slow day at work today, which has allowed me to come on here and see this thread. I also changed the description on the listing too.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:58 PM
Jon Canfield

Please feel free to email me anytime with any questions you may have - I'd be happy to provide you with my resources such as scans from Springer's Guide to Tax Stamps (which helps identify the years certain tax stamps were issued), etc.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Joe
Joe Lind.way

I'm the guy who emailed you the pictures of my Imperial Tobacco Piedmont shell over summer. Anything new with the packs those C-issues came in?