NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-24-2016, 09:52 PM
K Farrell

Default OT: How many Fantasy Baseball leagues are you in?

I am psyched for the start of the baseball season this year - particularly, I'm looking forward to my Cubies returning to the World Series. But in the unlikely event that the Cubs don't win it all again this year, at least we have fantasy baseball. I am in a league of mostly Board members called Cardboard Junkies run with an iron fist by Mike Cave and have had a blast even though Cave stole the championship last year. I am also in two more long running fantasy leagues for a total of three. Who's looking forward to fantasy baseball and how many leagues are you in?
Old 03-24-2016, 09:53 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfireschulte View Post
I am psyched for the start of the baseball season this year - particularly, I'm looking forward to my Cubies returning to the World Series. But in the unlikely event that the Cubs don't win it all again this year, at least we have fantasy baseball. I am in a league of mostly Board members called Cardboard Junkies run with an iron fist by Mike Cave and have had a blast even though Cave stole the championship last year. I am also in two more long running fantasy leagues for a total of three. Who's looking forward to fantasy baseball and how many leagues are you in?
i do NL only....just 3 of them...all 5 x 5 1 head to head 2 normal roto . ..i hate it with yahoo that when a guy goes from nl to al his stats stop with the new team..sportsline doesnt do that so i use them now..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 03-24-2016 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:35 PM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildfireschulte View Post
Don't think you're getting the crown back...it ain't happening!!!

I'm in two leagues, both h2h points leagues. The first one I stepped into, I've been a part of for several years with a bunch of friends and we do a live snake draft. The second one was birthed a few years back, which is the one Kevin is referring to...a great league with mostly board members. Kevin...that championship matchup was epic. You had me for almost the duration of the two week championship and then i mustered enough to come back on the final day...you made me sweat too damn much, lol! I have to say, Kevin...1st place followed by a 2nd place finish in the first two years is pretty darn impressive, sir. Here's to another great year!

Here are the members of our 12 team h2h points league that are also members of Net54: Kevin Farrell, Adam Goldenberg, Donnie Barnett, Bruce Carter, Ian Clarke, Adam Riley, Mark Hooks and myself. Thanks to every one of these guys for making this league what it is...it's been very fun so far and I'm looking forward to more great years with you gentlemen as long as you'll continue to come back

And thanks Leon Luckey...without the Net54 community, none of this would be possible...much thanks to you, brother!
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 03-25-2016, 12:00 AM
Louie Michaud

2 this year. 1 h2h with some friends, the other Roto with some fellow net54ers!
Old 03-25-2016, 12:24 AM
Alan U

Just one H2H National League only with up to 10 keepers, basically the same guys for 13 years
Old 03-25-2016, 01:38 AM
Michael S.

I'm in 2. The first is a h2h, live snake draft - which has been extremely competitive for 9 years. I also do a Yahoo Pro League because 1 is never enough.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:59 AM
P.hil €lli$

Just 1. I am hosting our auction tomorrow.......OUR 26th SEASON!

Yes, they had fantasy sports before the internet
Old 03-25-2016, 07:35 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

None. Zero. Zilch.

Nothing would take the fun out of enjoying watching baseball faster to me than having to worry about whether the catcher of the Minnesota Twins or shortstop of the Marlins got two hits tonight.

Whatever the gene is to get off on that stuff just passed me by.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:06 AM
J@$0n.Chri$$i$

I'm only in one. I used to be in multiple leagues, but then about 5 years ago I was asked to join a Dynasty League. This league is very complex. It is a 12 Team H2H, Auction Draft, Salary Cap, Dynasty League with a 10 player Minor League Roster (and a separate minor League Draft) and 23 player Major League Roster.

There are Non-guaranteed, Guaranteed, and Restricted contracts that you sign all of your players to and players can be called up from your Minors when they are eligible. There are cap penalties associated with dropping players on Guaranteed contracts while player on Non-Guaranteed contracts can be dropped with no penalty. Once a player reaches your Major League Roster, there is the possibility of "keeping" him for up to 5 years - 2 years on a Non-Guaranteed contract + 2 years on a Guaranteed contract + 1 year on a Restricted Contract. You have to pay extra from your cap to re-sign a player from his Non-guaranteed to Guaranteed contract. The Restricted Contract is optional and you have to pay extra for that and then every year there is a Restricted Auction where owners can bid on the restricted players and the current owner decides to match to let the player go to the winning bidder. Once a player reaches the end of his Guaranteed or Restricted contract, he goes back into the player pool for the auction.

If this sounds complex, it absolutely is. But it is awesome! However, it is very time-consuming and all other leagues just seem boring to me. That is why I have been in only one league for the past 5 years.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:11 AM
Ben North

I am not in any but the post made me smile because the Tom Bodett Motel 6 radio commercial about fantasy baseball is one of my all-time favorites.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:51 AM

I'm in 5. 2 with Net54 guys, one with my brother, another with a guy from work, and one more with some people on a different message board. Looking forward to it! So far I've only had one draft.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:00 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Me too except I don't even like watching much MLB anymore. It never came back for me from 22 yrs ago, the '94 strike. That being said I still love to play (softball) and love the game, just not MLB......Every now and then I will watch a few innings but I don't really care for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
None. Zero. Zilch.

Nothing would take the fun out of enjoying watching baseball faster to me than having to worry about whether the catcher of the Minnesota Twins or shortstop of the Marlins got two hits tonight.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:27 AM

The thing I enjoy about fantasy baseball is that it exposes you to other players around the league. I'm a Yankees fan and I really only care about the Yankees. But when I get involved in fantasy baseball I get involved in following other guys too.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:39 AM

I play in 1, a dynasty league in it's 8th year, and regularly turn down invitations to others. It's conflicting enough to watch a game in which one of your batters is facing one of your pitchers and you don't know what you hope will happen. I found that playing in multiple leagues made watching baseball impossible: I didn't know how to feel about anything happening on the field.

The great thing about playing fantasy baseball, as noted by the previous poster, is how much you learn about all of the teams and players you wouldn't care about otherwise. Since they might make a difference to your team, you end up learning about everybody, which I find more satisfying than only knowing something about the local nine.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:53 AM
James

Default Fantasy Baseball

I have been in the same fantasy baseball league since my freshman year of high school. I am now almost 40!! There have been changes over the years, the internet for one, team owners come and go. 12 Teams, Keeper league for the last 17 years. I have owned Pujols since he got promoted from the minors. Won me a few titles back in the day. 23 man starting rosters, 10 Pitchers. Plus 2 minor league players. Its deep but its fun. We are in the 27th round of our snake draft that we started March 3rd.

https://sportscardalbum.com/u/gemmin...seball#!page=2
Old 03-25-2016, 10:56 AM
James

Default My Fantasy team

http://beeville.baseball.cbssports.com/teams

https://sportscardalbum.com/u/gemmin...seball#!page=2
Old 03-25-2016, 11:02 AM
je.sse @rnot

I have been in three fantasy football leagues for the last few years but have never tried baseball.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:55 AM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Me too except I don't even like watching much MLB anymore. It never came back for me from 22 yrs ago, the '94 strike. That being said I still love to play (softball) and love the game, just not MLB......Every now and then I will watch a few innings but I don't really care for it.
I am with you, Leon. The nostalgia from my youth of playing ball, all through high school, is what drives me collecting. Modern baseball just doesn't do it for me (though I do still root for the Dodgers, I rarely watch a game). Therefore, no Fantasy leagues.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 03-25-2016, 11:57 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
None. Zero. Zilch.

+1 I agree completely. I tried a league back in 1999 and hated it. It didn't help that my partner and I fought (over Benny Agbayani of all things). But mostly, I hated rooting for players on teams that I wanted to lose. It kept me from enjoying baseball.

Last edited by Sean; 03-25-2016 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:04 PM

I'm in 5 on Yahoo. 3 h2h and 2 roto, one is mine I've run for years now.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:22 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Zero.

I do an NFL/NCAA football league where we pick winners against the spread, an NFL survivor pool, an NFL playoffs pool, a March Madness pool, and ESPN's SFTC, but I don't have any interest in actual fantasy sports leagues.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:47 PM
A.J. Johnson

Jessie or anyone else I've got a couple spots open for my Yahoo! league. Draft is tomorrow 1pm pst. Head to Head format with 12 teams. $100 optional buy-in to participate in pool winnings for 1st, 2nd and 3rd. here's link to play: https://yho.com/mlb?l=11485&k=d033de...26c649fbe70966
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time

Last edited by ajjohnsonsoxfan; 03-25-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:54 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
Zero.

I do an NFL/NCAA football league where we pick winners against the spread, an NFL survivor pool, an NFL playoffs pool, a March Madness pool, and ESPN's SFTC, but I don't have any interest in actual fantasy sports leagues.
By the way, anybody interested in joining the group for the above pools is welcome to join. Entry fees range from $50-$250, the largest prize (for the winner-take-all survivor pool) is in the low 5 figures.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:20 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Amazing - the moderator of a baseball card board admits he doesn't like MLB baseball (at least modern MLB). The things that make you go "hmmmm".

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 03-25-2016, 01:20 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
None. Zero. Zilch.

+1

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 03-25-2016, 02:13 PM
Jay Cee

I love fantasy baseball. I play in three to five leagues a year depending in my schedule. I do a competitive 6x6 CBS league, the NFBC, and a couple competitive/social leagues in ESPN with the traditional 5x5 roto format.

I used to have a couple of MLB teams I routed for, but since playing fantasy (over a decade ago) I now am vested in just about every game and I find myself staying up late watching the West Coast Games! Not to mention the MLB package through Direct TV is a must!

I'm competitive and baseball is my passion so instead of playing ball through High School or soft ball teams. I find myself playing fantasy sports, coaching a youth travel team and announcing games for the local High School team.

When people want to talk ball... The first question I ask them is which decade would you like to talk about.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:48 PM
Rich v@n He$$

5 - 2 H2H; 2 Roto; 1 Dynasty

I enjoy playing. I enjoy the numbers and I enjoy the strategy. Watching MLB isnt even necessary.

Last edited by Section103; 03-25-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:08 PM

Default open League's?

Any Net54 league's out there looking for another player? I would be in if there is an opportunity!

Please email me if there is a spot:

jeffissurfing@gmail.com

Thanks!

Jeff
Old 03-28-2016, 12:56 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

This is the first time in probably 13-14 years I got back into a baseball league. Foe nearly that entire time, I have just played in football leagues. I decided on a whim to get back into a baseball league again this year and joined a $50 league on Yahoo.

I signed up for a traditional roto league. One thing that kind of caught me by surprise is how prevalent H2H leagues are now for baseball. Back when I was really into fantasy baseball in the '90s, I don't recall there being many H2H leagues at all. Maybe this is just my memory, but it seemed like everyone played with a roto format back then.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:51 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

How is everyone doing at the halfway point of the season? I am currently second in my $50 Yahoo roto league. I got lucky with some free agent pick-ups early in the season (Jake Lamb, Jonathan Viilar, Adam Duvall) and with a couple guys overperforming (Jon Lester, Jay Bruce), but have been around 1-3 in my league nearly all season.

I did give up on Adrian Gonzalez a few weeks ago, however, and Todd Frazier hitting .200 over the first half of the season has been even worse than I expected. I also drafted Ken Giles, who was out the closer role the first week of the season.

The thing that surprised me a bit is that even in a $50 league, two of the 12 owners seemingly gave up a few weeks into the season, The league also has another 3-4 teams that are either hopelessly lopsided with way too much hitting or way too much pitching.

There is also a team in the league that has made 85 transactions thus far.

Last edited by Bored5000; 07-02-2016 at 06:58 AM.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:31 AM
Ed McCollum

I prefer to use my fantasies on greater things than sports games.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:12 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInOmaha View Post
I prefer to use my fantasies on greater things than sports games.
That is absolutely and completely fine. But the thread topic is clearly listed in the thread title. Why open the thread just to make the comment that you are not interested in the topic? There are lots of threads that I just skip over without posting in the thread that I am not interested in the topic.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:21 PM

Top ten in NFBC so far fingers crossed for more good luck in the 2nd half!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2016, 07:41 PM
Robert J. Miller

In the 1980's I was in 8 for a couple of years. Now Married with children, I am in 2.
Robert