NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-24-2002, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Default Does anyone know Don Louchios?

Posted By: HalleyGator 

Does anyone know Don Louchios?

His HOF set is registered with PSA, and I was wondering if either of us could help the other in completing our sets. For some reason, he elected NOT to let people see his set or e-mail, so I was just wondering if he is a vintage collector that you guys know from shows or conventions?

Old 04-24-2002, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

I don't know him personally, and I only know few who actually know him.

From all I have heard, he's got heavy coin (yes -- even more than some of our resident lawyers!), and cards are a fun distraction for him. I believe that he may have some other sets registered on the Registry. A fun little distraction for someone with six/seven figure to spend!

Old 04-25-2002, 06:11 AM
Administrator

Then I guess it is only a matter of time before my set gets bumped to #2...

my son is only 8, so he won't be able to support me with his Major League Baseball salary for another 10 years or so.

Old 04-25-2002, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

Halley -- No worries. I don't think he is really working on a HOF Registry set, per se. You are safe for now.

Though word on the street is that he is paying super-duper prices for Bid McPhee cards.

Old 04-25-2002, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

Halley, if you son went into women's tennis, he could start supporting in just a couple of years

Old 04-25-2002, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jeff

I figured since I can serve in triple digits maybe I could hang with Martina Hingis.

But I got about the same response from that as I did when I applied to the women's colleges ... Wellesley and Smith were simply not interested in breaking new ground with me.

I say this to caution you, Hal, against getting your son's hopes up .

Jeff

Old 04-25-2002, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Halley, to instantly increase your inventory, you might consider adopting MW or Leon. I beleive that Leon is older than you, but no one would notice the technicality if you moved to many parts of the South.

Old 04-25-2002, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: vorthian

<< Then I guess it is only a matter of time before my set gets bumped to #2...>>

Indeed. If he wants the #1 slot, it will happen. He will snipe and usually you will find out he was going for something as you look at the bid history and see your name as the underbidder shortly after the auction ended. I recall over a year ago when he obliterated me on a 1924 Willards Ruth PSA 7 and I had that same fate.

Old 04-25-2002, 06:44 PM
Administrator

I am willing to adopt ANYONE who comes with a Bid McPhee card ...

Maybe Louchios will adopt me?

Old 04-25-2002, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

<Halley, to instantly increase your inventory, you might consider adopting MW or Leon. I beleive that Leon is older than you, but no one would notice the technicality if you moved to many parts of the South>

Can't even get away from regional elitism, arrogance and snobbery on a baseball card board.
A Southerner and damn proud of it.
Bob

Old 04-25-2002, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Yee-hawwww

Old 04-26-2002, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

Hallygator seems pretty cool - I assumed he must also be from the South. lol

Old 04-26-2002, 06:44 AM
Administrator

I am indeed from the South, but I am not into all that "Sons of the Confederacy" type crap because I would have been against slavery had I been around back then.

BUT, if you guys want to read a VERY interesting story about my Great Great Grandfather that will NOT take up more than 2 minutes of your time:

[url]http://www.senclewises.com/brunsonhistory.html[/url]

Old 04-26-2002, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Sorry, try this link:

http://www.senclewises.com/brunsonhistory.html

Old 04-26-2002, 06:48 AM
Administrator

My name is Halley Bronson Lewis III ...

so I am named after him as you can see !!

Old 04-26-2002, 07:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I actually also had a story about my ggg...grandfather killing a panther (but with a gun). Not trying to one-up you, though - it turned out I wasn't really related to the man at all;however, the ancestor (gggrandfather)who began these stories turned out to have lived a very interesting life, but kept his past a secret to even his wife - very common with men who wanted to leave the Civil War behind and start new. Fortunately the Louisiana Confederate Pension applications are archived and easily accessible - a wealth of information!

Old 04-26-2002, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

If your grandfather spent more time smoking cigarettes and less time playing with panthers you might have had that McPhee left to you.
We Millers also have stories of battles with panthers. In 1987, my late mother Byrdie Miller was attacked by a Black Panther on a side street in the Bronx. She smacked him with her purse, pushed the startled mugger out of the way, and proceeded on her walk home. Her name is still mentioned with reverence amongst short elderly Jewish women in the Bronx.

Old 04-26-2002, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Byrdie Miller is indeed the Queen of Queens!!

Old 04-26-2002, 02:01 PM
Administrator

I don't know if there's anybody on the board with the same tastes in literature as mine, but as for Southerners starting anew to leave the Civil War behind them, there is no better story (and hardly a better-constructed, better-written novel--of any era) than William Faulkner's Absalom Absalom.

Unfortunately, there are no baseball cards in it; not even any baseball, but a little bit of very primitive boxing or wrestling...

Jeff

Old 04-26-2002, 02:37 PM
Administrator

TBob, I erred by using a Southern sterotype for cheap effect, and make no excuses for my misjudgement. I appologize if I offended you or others sincere Southerners.

I do, however, note that I was born and raised in Wisconsin, and my guess is that you have a conception of Wisconsin and Wisconsites. Despite having moved to Seattle several years ago, I do actually have a cheesehead hat in a hall closet.

Old 04-26-2002, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian

Can you get a good braut in Seattle? I'm a southern born and bred Packer fan who recently made a pilgrimage to Lambeau last Sept. The weather and the atmosphere were incredible, 68 degrees, high blue skies and packer backers all around eating brauts and drinking cold beer. I hope I hav'nt made you to homesick, Dungenous Crab and a micro brew isn't bad either. GO PACK

Old 04-26-2002, 03:14 PM
Administrator

interesting...I am doing the reverse move -- originally from spokane, washington, headed to madison, wisconsin in august. (via long detour in NYC.)

Besides all of this Packer craziness, what are the characteristics (real or imagined) of wisconsin people? I have never heard of any.

(Just want to know what to watch out for <g>)

Old 04-26-2002, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

David, just as long as you don't pick on us Canadians. It's bad enough that you guys are dropping bombs on our troops and booing our national anthem, but being stereotyped by David would be too much.

Old 04-26-2002, 04:28 PM
Administrator

I can't find a good brat here in Seattle, which has probably added a few years to my life

Old 04-26-2002, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Elliot, As I have watched Red Green, I know the rich tapestry that Canada provides this world.

Old 04-26-2002, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Yeah it's great on the palate, but bad for the arteries. Keep eating the healthy seafood from the pugot sound. be well brian

Old 04-26-2002, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Madison is where I was born/raised. It's a physically very beautiful city with lakes and parks. The summers are a lot hotter and the winters a LOT colder than where you currently live (I remember when one day's HIGH was 13 below). As it's the state capital and has the UW campus there, it's fairly educated/metropolitan including a good number of internatinal restauraunts. Wisconsites, especialy in the rural/small town areas, are always friendly. As Frank Lloyd Wright is from Southern Wisconsin, there are a number of his buildings. Lastly, when you leave Madinson's confines you will see (and smell) lots of dairy cows.

Old 04-26-2002, 04:57 PM
Administrator

We are all sorry for the bombing mistakes which took Canadian lives, but friendly fire deaths happen in every war, no matter how good the equipment and how well trained the soldiers are. I'm not familiar with the booing of Oh'Canada, When did that happen?
God bless North America Brian

Old 04-26-2002, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Twice---at the Toronto Raptor/Detroit Piston series opener and at the Toronto Maple Leaf/New York Islander 2nd game, but I think most Canadians understand that it only takes a few people and it is not the majority view, and in a flawed logical sense it was directed towards the visiting team not the country. It was more the timing of the booing shortly after the bombing that was a bit disconcerting. But, this is a baseball card board, not some sort of political forum, and I'm sorry for bringing it up here.

Old 04-26-2002, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Now I know why I missed the booing. I don't watch the NBA anymore, and only follow the Hurricanes during the NHL playoffs. It was probably only a couple of drunks who are still mad the CANUKS kicked our butts in the Olympics. No politics intended . Just curious, our press doesn't print much news anymore only opinion.
Thank Goodness for basball season. be well brian

Old 04-26-2002, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

One of my grandfathers owned a paper box factory..but one was from Hungary, changed his name at Ellis Island, and never said a word about where he came from--so I can imagine whatever I like!

Old 04-26-2002, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

does anyone else notice how far this thread got off topic? ok,so i have nothing to add to it but just felt left out.....Pirates are in first place 20 games into the season,best record in the nl!

Old 04-27-2002, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

David- no problem, I just hate getting kicked in the teeth by non-Southerners who think we all live in Dogpatch in trailer houses and go to family reunions to meet dates. I was born in Minnesota and lived there 12 years but have lived in the South for almost 35 years and the hospitality, friendliness and warmth of most of the people here is refreshing. I don't know anyone who is still fighting the Civil War, we have forgiven y'all a long, long ago
By the way, most people know the Civil War was not about the hated institution of slavery. It was about State's rights, and the War was used by the abolitionists to inject the slavery issue in to the fray. Almost all of the soldiers who fought for the South never owned slaves and many of the soldiers who fought for the North were not opposed to slavery. Even Abe Lincoln is quoted as saying as late as February 1862 that if he could have the nation rejoined again even with slavery he would accept it. It took a bloody war to abolish it forever.

Old 04-27-2002, 04:48 PM
Administrator

when introduced to Harriet Beecher Stowe (author of "Uncle Tom's Cabin"), that "this is the little lady who started the war." Or something like that...I'm not great with exact quotes.

But that is for a whole 'nuther board!

Old 04-27-2002, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

that the nation could not exist half-slave, half free.

Old 05-05-2002, 07:54 AM
Administrator