NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 12-01-2023, 02:06 PM
Richard

Default 1986 Fleer Basketball... Worth Collecting?

Wanting to know the opinions of others here.
The big '86-'87 Fleer Basketball set, with Jordan's RC, Ewing's RC, Barkley's, etc... there are SO many high-graded cards out there, plenty of 8s, 9s, and even 10s, that there's honestly not much of a chase, just a need for deep pockets.
Do you all see this set retaining or growing its value long term? It would be a unicorn in the junk wax era if so.
Thoughts?
Old 12-01-2023, 02:37 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Well, given that most of the big rookies are on earlier Star cards that PSA now grades, I do not think I would pursue the Fleer set now, except if I could get it cheap. Better to allocate the funds to the Star rookies. Unless you like the set and just want to go for it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-01-2023 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-01-2023, 07:32 PM
Mike P.ap

Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampertb View Post
Wanting to know the opinions of others here.
The big '86-'87 Fleer Basketball set, with Jordan's RC, Ewing's RC, Barkley's, etc... there are SO many high-graded cards out there, plenty of 8s, 9s, and even 10s, that there's honestly not much of a chase, just a need for deep pockets.
Do you all see this set retaining or growing its value long term? It would be a unicorn in the junk wax era if so.
Thoughts?
It is a classic set. If you can find pack fresh cards that you know are real, this set is a fun venture.

There have been some dealers quietly buying these lately. Commons and stars alike. Just fyi.
Old 12-02-2023, 10:52 AM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Well, given that most of the big rookies are on earlier Star cards that PSA now grades, I do not think I would pursue the Fleer set now, except if I could get it cheap. Better to allocate the funds to the Star rookies. Unless you like the set and just want to go for it.
Usually I would agree with this, but aren’t the Star cards rife with issues? I’ve never collected them, but if I remember correctly there were all types of concerns with not only fakes but cards that were made over various years for one set (e.g. the 84 MJ XRC could’ve been printed in 84 or 93). I could have this completely wrong but I thought that was the main concern with them and why 86-87 Fleer was so much more popular. Also, imo there are way too many subsets to keep up with, there must be 20+ different Jordan cards made over that 2 or 3 year period… just seems to water the cards down, albeit the 84 MJ will always be chased.
Old 12-02-2023, 12:01 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
This is exactly how I feel about the 86s, I think the growth is going to be in Star issues and 86 will continue to slowly drop.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 12-02-2023, 12:09 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniehatesjazz View Post
Usually I would agree with this, but aren’t the Star cards rife with issues? I’ve never collected them, but if I remember correctly there were all types of concerns with not only fakes but cards that were made over various years for one set (e.g. the 84 MJ XRC could’ve been printed in 84 or 93). I could have this completely wrong but I thought that was the main concern with them and why 86-87 Fleer was so much more popular. Also, imo there are way too many subsets to keep up with, there must be 20+ different Jordan cards made over that 2 or 3 year period… just seems to water the cards down, albeit the 84 MJ will always be chased.
Complete hobby myth and easily avoided. Yes some Shop at Home sales sold misdated new issues. The reprint myth you cite is easily disproved and there are libraries of good info to explain this. Other than third party counterfeit cards, there is zero proof the original designs were reprinted by Star. I deem this nonsense that heavy investors in 86 Jordan’s put out to protect their 3rd year cards.

I can’t stand Geoff Wilson, but this interview has a good expert on the subject - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7CpI1qiRvo&t=1774s

Simply put, reproduction of the Star cards without a vast difference as a completely new issue was made up and the major graders looked like a joke buying in. They are just now correcting that inept mistake.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 12-02-2023 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-02-2023, 03:21 PM
Richard

The discrepancy reminds me of 2 other "rookie cards" from big, national issues, neither of which was actually the player's true rookie card.

Option #1) The 1938 Goudey cards were Joe DiMaggio's first cards in a major national set. They are, however, currently worth less than the 1934 Zeenuts Pacific Coast League cards and the 1936 Canadian World Wide Gum card, both of which obviously predate the Goudey.

Option #2) Mickey Mantle's true rookie was the '51 Bowman, which was in fact a national issue. However, that card doesn't come close in equitable value to the '52 Topps Mantle card. Chicken or the egg... this might be due to the overall popularity of the '52 Topps set, or conversely the '52 Topps set might owe so much of its popularity to this particular Mantle card's iconicity.

Regardless, same situation as the Jordan '86 Fleer vs. earlier Star rookie. Option #1 is LESS valuable, while Option #2 remains MORE valuable.

Which do you think the '86 Fleer Jordan more closely resembles... and more importantly WILL resemble moving forward? This is obviously a large part of predicting the '86 Fleer Basketball Set's investment value, but not the whole picture.
Old 12-02-2023, 07:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

People have been waiting forever for Star Basketball to go to the moon and for the pseudo rookies in 86 Fleer to collapse. Not happening even with PSA now grading them. One problem is that the centering on some issues like the 101 Jordan sucks so many pristine cards are going to grade no higher than PSA 7. That said, if you want to debunk the myths, basketballgold.com is a nice site.

The 86 Jordan is here to stay. That said, I would not presume to predict the overall market. Anyone who so presumes is just guessing.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-02-2023 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-02-2023, 07:19 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The 86 cards have been volatile over the last few years. I would not expect them to regain the values they had during the pandemic, in real dollars. Then again, my preference at the moment is to put the money into first-rate basketball photos. More bang for the buck right now.

Or not...
Old 12-03-2023, 08:13 AM
Joe D
Joe Do.oley

Quote:
The 86 cards have been volatile over the last few years. I would not expect them to regain the values they had during the pandemic, in real dollars. Then again, my preference at the moment is to put the money into first-rate basketball photos. More bang for the buck right now.
Exactly.
Old 12-05-2023, 10:49 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I guess the question is whether you'd rather have a run of the mill card or a work of art:

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-05-2023 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-06-2023, 08:27 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
I guess the question is whether you'd rather have a run of the mill card or a work of art
I sure do miss when I was getting amazing ones for less (sometimes much less) than 30-40 dollars just 5-6 years ago.

Old 12-06-2023, 05:55 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Me too, but that ship has sailed. The only question is whether it is time to cash in.

Or not...
Old 12-07-2023, 10:20 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
I sure do miss when I was getting amazing ones for less (sometimes much less) than 30-40 dollars just 5-6 years ago.
I don't know that there's any upside, but you can still get amazing Type 1 press photos of actors, musicians, and other notable people for as little as $10.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-07-2023 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-07-2023, 10:30 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

I guess the question to you is, is it worth it to you?

Is this going to be a PC set or do you intend to turn it around?

Really matters not what others here think, if you want to do it, just do it!

Cheers,

Butch

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 12-29-2023, 07:48 PM

Surely seems to be an iconic set that currently holds lots of interest and it could certainly increase bit by bit in value over the upcoming years.
Old 01-09-2024, 12:22 PM
Al Stein

I can't really say whether Fleer will fall out of favor. Personally, I like the set. The rectangles give the cards a Prairie-style look, very artsy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 86-7F 36 Gervin NMM.jpg (72.0 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 86-7F 68 Malone NMM.jpg (63.2 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 86-7F 57 Jordan EX.jpg (81.2 KB, 64 views)
Old 01-12-2024, 01:48 PM
Richard

Default Decided to Sell

I have decided to sell what I already accumulated of this set (60%). It is in the BST 1980 & Newer forum.