NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-12-2014, 03:54 AM
Dave_Berg

Default OT: Coolest Home Runs You've Witnessed

Can't sleep so started thinking... What are the top 5 coolest/ dramatic home runs you've witnessed either in person or on TV. Radio and replays don't count. There's been a lot... Thompson, Fisk, Gibson... But just list YOUR 5 you saw live. Here are mine: I think....
1) Aaron 715
2) Reggie's monster 1971 All Star blast
3) Brett's Pine tar HR off Gossage
4) McWires 62
5) David Freese Game 6 2011 WS walk off
Old 07-12-2014, 04:38 AM
Bill Gregory

Kirk Gibson's homer for the Dodgers in the '88 World Series. I saw it live on the tv. He could barely walk up to the plate, but somehow he had just enough strength to golf the ball into the right field seats.

I saw Robin Yount hit #200 in person. He and Clemente have long been my favorite players, so seeing one of Robin's milestones was pretty special. He had one of the sweetest swings I've ever seen, and if he hadn't messed up his shoulder in 1983, he'd have ended up with a lot more than 251 homers in his career.

I was at County Stadium and saw Dale Sveum hit 3 home runs in one game on July 17, 1987. And he missed a 4th home run by about 5 feet on a bomb that was just foul down the right field line. I saw that game with both my folks, and my dad and I went nuts when we thought he'd hit #4.

I watched the game on September 25, 2001 when Jeromy Burnitz and Richie Sexson both hit 3 home runs for the Brewers. The Brewers stunk in 2001, but they were a lot of fun to watch, anyways. They hit 209 home runs, but only won 68 games. Burnitz and Sexson combined to hit 79 between them. And they hit some absolute tape measure shots, especially Sexson. It killed me when the Brewers traded him. He played three seasons in Milwaukee, hitting .274 with 119 home runs and 351 RBI in his three seasons there. Between 1999 and 2006, if you take out the 2004 season, when he only played 23 games due to two dislocated shoulder injuries, he hit 253 home runs in 7 seasons, or 26 home runs a season. And he was on a tear in 2004 when he got hurt. He'd only played in 23 games, and had 9 home runs. Sexson was 6'6" 205 pounds, and he had some of the sickest bat speed I've ever seen. The guy was a monster.

Sexson hits #200 off the scoreboard in Arizona

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:43 AM
Raymond Culpepper

Default Greg Zaun's Called Shot:

During the 1999 Hall-of-Fame Game on Induction Weekend.

Last edited by clydepepper; 07-12-2014 at 04:44 AM.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:45 AM
David McDonald

Been to a lot of ballgames at a lot of ballparks in my 64 years and have witnessed a lot of home runs. None have been particularly significant although I value the memories of having seen the likes of Mantle and Williams park one over the fence. Saw Norm Siebern hit an inside-the-park home run at Yankee Stadium on my eighth birthday in 1958. That was pretty cool. More to the topic of this thread I would say the greatest HR's I ever saw were on the old black-and-white, and they would be Mazeroski's walk-off (although that term hadn't been coined yet) against NYY in 1960 and Maris' #60 in 1961. The whole McGwire Bonds Sosa thing didn't have an iota of the drama of Maris' run at Ruth's record. It was like Lindbergh or the four minute mile. Major stuff, not a vaudeville show.

Siebern rounds third

Crosetti waves him home

Old 07-12-2014, 06:55 AM
Greg Mitchell

All live at stadium: Saw Jackie Jensen hit one at Fenway in 1957. Willie Mays' last HR, at Shea, in 1973. Chambliss winning pennant for Yanks in playoffs. Reggie's 3 dingers in the Series. Gary Carter's to win game in first game as Met, opening day '85. Dykstra to win playoff game in '86. Others.

Last edited by GregMitch34; 07-12-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:40 AM
octavio ranzola

Mike piazza right after 911 vs braves to win it ,,i was there,great night.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:54 AM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

1. Gibson in 88 via TV. Goosebumps lasted a week.
2. McGwire in 98 hitting the left pole on the Jacob's field scoreboard (in person). I swear that ball was still going up when it hit. Laser shot.
3. Griffey's #499 in Cleveland. His next at bat sadly was caught on the track.
4. Bo Jackson's leadoff All Star game bomb with President Reagan in the TV booth.
5. My 8 year old putting one over a short 170 sign in right center - priceless.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:14 AM
P@trick R.omolo

The first two that I thought of were Fisk and Dent.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:30 AM
Ben

Gibson 88 and McGwire 62 were huge - saw both on TV. I'll add Joe Carter in 92. He had played for Cleveland in the 80s, and he came to my school and signed autographs. Then left town and did that.

But for me the best one ever was Albert Belle in game 1 of the 95 divisional round against Boston. First playoff game in cleveland in 40 years, in extra innings, Indians down 1 in the 12th, two outs. Belle is dialed in, fouls one off, then hammers one over the fence. Ties the game, bedlam in the stands. Boston's manager immediately calls for the bat to be checked, and Belle gets up on the top step of the dugout, flexes and points to his bicep to show Boston where it came from.

Tribe wins in 13, and the bat is sawed in half after the game, and is clean. Just a wild crazy game - welcome back to playoff baseball cleveland.

One other that is memorable to me is Pujols off of Brad Lidge in 2005 or so. In Houston, ninth inning to tie the game. Hit it waaaaaaaay out, rattled around on the train tracks ( or whatever in Houston) behind the seats.was just huge.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:49 AM
qualitycards

I've seen many historic Home Runs live on tv like Aaron's 715th, Kirk Gibson's vs the A's, Chambliss vs the Royals and so on.

But in person, my favorite was in 1981 at Yankee Stadium, it was the end of Sept on a cold dreary night.
John Denny of the Indians struck our Reggie in the 1st inning. Then a couple innings later Reggie hits a titantic shot off of Denny and Reggie did a slow trot around the bases w/ Denny walking off the mound shouting at him.
Reggie touched home plate and went after Denny, both benches emptied and there was excitement in the Bronx w/ more cheers during the fight then the home Run.