NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-09-2003, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Default Yankees-collector!! update

Posted By: Kenny Cole

A few months ago, about the same time as the thread about Ohiotarheelsfan, there was also a thread about Yankees-collector!! and the fake cards he was selling on eBay. I filed a fraud complaint against him, as did several other people.

Last night, the perpetrator was arrested by the local authorities. It is my understanding that his computers were seized and that he confessed. He is being charged with theft by deception and impersonating an individual (he is alleged to have stolen his brother-in-law's eBay identity while perpetrating his fraud). I'm hoping the feds will add to his current problems by filing a few mail and/or bank fraud complaints against him.

I don't know if any of the people he scammed will ever get their money back, but I don't think he'll be stealing any identities or scamming people on eBay for a while. One scumbag down, many to go!

Old 10-09-2003, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

Fantastic News!!!!!!!!

Old 10-09-2003, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

Hopefully David Schnitzer (DrBond02 and Harleyman714) and Angela McGuire (Ohiotarheelsfan) will be next.

Old 10-09-2003, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Hopefully with eveidence that ebay was informed but did nothing to stop these people that one day Ebay will be held accountable and really clear up the garbage like this.

Old 10-09-2003, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

As much as I hate most lawsuits it is great news to hear about scammers getting their dues. In that same thinking I feel Ebay needs a BIG fat class-action lawsuit about aiding these scumbags. I have no doubt that it could be proven in court that, by their inactions, they helped perpetrate the fraud. When as many folks, like us, have confirming emails from ebay about the scams, they could not say they "did not know".....regards all

Old 10-09-2003, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob M (ramram)

Unfortunately, as indicated by past results, this guy will probably be found guilty and NAILED with a $100 fine and two weeks of probation. Meanwhile, the public will be responsible for thousands of dollars in legal costs. But, hey, look at the bright side...this guy may not be able to vote anymore.

Old 10-09-2003, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenny Cole

He may get a little worse than a $100 fine and probation because he was evidently out on parole from some sort of previous felony conviction when he decided to add fraud and identity theft to his resume. Judges and prosecutors often don't look as favorably upon guys with priors as they do upon first time offenders.

I have no idea what New York's sentencing guidelines are for two or three time losers, but I don't think it is beyond the realm of possibility that he'll get a little bit of time to do. I hope so anyway.

Old 10-09-2003, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

From first hand knowledge judges tend to frown upon people that haven't learned their lessons from probation. As a first time offense, most smaller white collar crimes, and non-aggravated offenses, will get probation. Once on probation there is little hope for getting bonded out or just a slap on the wrist for any offense.....regards all

Old 10-09-2003, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Polin

I too am a victim of this scumbag. To date I have been refunded about 50% of what he stole, but am still out the most of anyone. If he makes bail in New York we plan on arresting him the moment he get out of jail and extraditing him to New Jersey. Plus the federal mail & bank fraud cases are looming. This guy is really screwed. It's been great working with you on this Kenny. Anyone else out there that was defrauded by yankees-collector!! please post and we'll get you on board. I can't wait to testify.

Old 10-10-2003, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David

i have mentioned this before that the only way to really get rid of these scammers is for ebay to set up a service like they have for autographs where cards can be submitted for review online by sgc, psa and bgs. if the card is then found to be fake the listing is pulled and all the sellers other auctions are then also reviewed and action taken. this type of service could easily get rid of most of the garbage in the vintage sections

Old 10-10-2003, 08:23 AM
Administrator

that would be adding more "accountability" to ebay, which they DO NOT want ("...we're just a big on-line flea-market...we ain't responsible for what you all buy and sell..."). In fact, I bet they are kicking themselves for doing the autograph validation thing - it will bite them if they ever end up in court over things like the Yakees-Collector!! scam.

Old 10-10-2003, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

I think that having an outside group review a picture of a card is problematic, though many fakes or scams are obvious at mere sight. Realize that many scams are simply stolen images of genuine cards and PSA or whoever would say "Looks good to me." Also, as an 'authenticator', you had better have lots of insurance if you plan on removing a seller's lots by just looking at some pictures.

I beleive there should be policing (including by sites like this, which does policing one thousand times better than any grading company or hobby publication or big auction house), but in the end the collectors should educate themselves. If a collector doesn't know the difference between PRO an PSA, NASA and SGC, that's his personal issue not anyone else's.

One reason that I am setting up my resources site (something should be up in about a week), is so there is a central location for useful information. The other is so there are no more excuses for bidders who pay $200 for a 'paper stock cutout with partial ad on back' Joe Jackson.

Old 10-10-2003, 01:22 PM
Administrator

This is why it will be unofficially be called the "Don't Blame Me" web page.

Old 10-10-2003, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Or is it the "I told you so" site. I forget.

Old 10-10-2003, 01:42 PM
Administrator

I have already predicted to a fiend that, after setting up the site, my first inquiry will be "I have a 1909 T206 Honus Wagner and on the back it says that it sold for $XXX in 1996. Is this an original?"

Old 10-10-2003, 04:03 PM
Administrator

"We now take a short break from David's string of posts....soft drinks and popcorn can be purchased in the lobby...."

Old 10-11-2003, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Newcomb

What did your fiend have to say about it? Was he lucid or did he just drool?

(Sorry, it's the English professor in me coming out)