NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-18-2006, 04:54 AM
Administrator

Default Appreciates B/S/T feature

Posted By: Bill Stone

One of the nicest features of this forum is the B/S/T Index. It has been a wonderful resource for me in fulfilling my want lists and everyone I have have dealt with has been most helpful and accomodating. I hope my fellow collectors will continue to use this as a way to buy/sell/or trade cards. Thank you.

Old 01-18-2006, 06:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I have to agree with you. The number of good posts in those areas of this forum exceed some other chat boards total posts. Also, keep in mind, that I delete a LOT of the threads when the item is sold. I also want to hear, private email please, of anyone not acting with integrity in those areas. This isn't ebay and my moderators and myself don't police that area too much....but it is a free "priviledge". Again, think of it as your drivers license with no fees. Hard to mess up but you can.. Remember it is total "caveat emptor"- buyer beware, in those areas..One last thing too. If you covertly advertise something in this main forum for sale it will be deleted unless there is an extraordinary circumstance......best regards and keep those deals coming....moderator dude

Old 01-18-2006, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Kasel

Gotta agree...the BST beats the H-E-L-L outta Ebay. I haven't won a card on ebay in months (God knows I've tried), but the BST has provided me with some great ones recently. Every experience on the BST for me has been flawless!

Thanks everyone. Happy Collecting!

Bill

Old 01-18-2006, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Absolutely agree, Bill! The B/S/T thread and subsequent card offers which flowed from my contacts on it, have provided me with most of my cards in the last 6 or 7 months as bidding on ebay has become squirrely to say the least.

Old 01-18-2006, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

I agree!!!
My last ten cards or so have come from BST with
great collegiality.
And some great deals!
best,
barry

Old 01-18-2006, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

The B/S/T is great, except for people using it to advertise their Ebay auctions. Most of us spend plenty of time searching Ebay and will find anything out there (or at least in the pre-30 & 1930-40 baseball card section).

Old 01-18-2006, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: scott ingold

Great feature. I have sold as many cards in the past month through the BST as Ebay. Also every seller i've dealt with has been completly honest and forthright.......something i cannot say about the bay.

Old 01-18-2006, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I have sold on BST successfully but one gripe I have is people ask for scans for a $50 card. That is just too much of a nuisance. If it's an SGC-30 and it's priced at $55, take a chance. It will probably work out fine.

Old 01-19-2006, 06:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: RayB

I have bought and sold cards through the B/S/T Forums and have had nothing but wonderful contact.
You really have to be ready to pull the trigger when things get listed here. Quality cards from quality individuals usually don't last very long.
Thank you to all I have transacted with thus far.

I would also encourage any sellers to post their emails right in the thread for easier and quicker contact.
RayB

Old 01-19-2006, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

I agree - the b/s/t thread is a great resource. However, Ive got to disagree with Barry somewhat. I think it is reasonable to ask for a scan of any card - particularly for those of us w/o unlimited budgets. As we all know, there can be big differences b/t two similarly graded lower grade cards. Plus, where do you draw the line - a $50 card, $100, $200? The best way to avoid the nuisance of having to send out numerous scans is to post a scan of the card with your initial listing - I wish more sellers did this.

Old 01-19-2006, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Josh- I appreciate what you are saying but I am computer illiterate and have to impose on my wife's free time to do scans for me, that's why it's a bit more of a sensitive issue. Not saying I am right, just my own personal thing.

Old 01-19-2006, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Say no more.

Old 01-19-2006, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

I see Barry's point and would buy from Barry in a heartbeat sight unseen...I have done this from a number of BST people (Rhett, Scott B., Tbob, etc.) that I know or have dealt with before. Some people I have to request scans from because I do not know them, even when it is a graded card, we all know the different grades cards get and a card can be a SGC 20/30 with slight back damage and a great front which would disqualify it from my collection. Some people just feel more comfortable seeing a scan.

Joshua

Old 01-19-2006, 09:55 AM
Administrator

I appreciate what both Joshes are saying. I try to make up for my ineptitude by giving detailed descriptions if they are needed.

Old 01-20-2006, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

I have had many excellent B/S/T experiences. Here are some of my seller complaints, however:

1. If you are going to post a card for sale, post your e-mail.

2. If you are going to post a card for sale, respond to e-mails and posts in a timely fashion. (Hint: Someone makes a "buy" offer 10 minutes after you post the card for sale -- Responding 12 hours later or more hardly qualifies as "timely".)

2b. Not responding in a timely manner makes me suspect that you are dishonest and considering other offers (rather than "first come - first served") or else, you are inept. Neither one is a characteristic that inspires confidence in me as a buyer.

3. Post scans for anything "of value". An excellent scanner costs $100. Hosting your images is free. There are dozens of members who post here who would glady advise you and walk you through how to do this.

4. List a price. If you're not sure what it is worth, sell it on eBay.

5. List the payment methods that you will take.

6. When the card is sold, update your post.

Okay, I feel better now.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 01-20-2006, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad Green

I would like to add one thing to what David said above about email addresses. Some people (me included) do not like writing out our email address in the thread. I am worried that someone is going to search the net and find my email address in that thread and use it to send me spam mail. I get enough spam mail and don't need any more. So, with that said, most people include a link to their email address with their name that appears above their net54 login name in a given thread. To send the person an email, simply click on their name and your email software (Outlook, Outlook Express, etc) will initiate an email to that person. So, before you get upset that the seller/buyer has not posted their email address, please look a little more closely. I'm not saying that everybody posts their email address in this fashion, but I think most people do.

Old 01-20-2006, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

is the fact that the sellers and buyers on the BST thread are members of this forum. It makes the experience of transacting more pleasant and safer.

Old 01-20-2006, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Thanks for admitting the 'ineptitude' re: scans, Barry.
I'm in the same boat,having to get my wife to do it when
she has a few spare minutes.
We did finally buy a scanner (pretty fancy one) which i'm
still staring at.
This 'ineptitude' once again corroborates our dinosaur status----in a different sort of way.

thank goodness, this board is generally pretty tolerant
and forgiving.

best,
barry

Old 01-20-2006, 03:17 PM
Administrator

I can remember using a slide rule in my high school chemistry class. That is more my kind of technology. I also look for the abacus to make a big return.

Old 01-20-2006, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

I think it has something to do with the name "barry"...the rest of us dinosaurs have figured out how to scan. I too remember learning how to use a slide rule in chemistry class, my kids are astounded that I know how to use it. Does anybody collect antique slide rules?

Old 01-20-2006, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

lol. Maybe a slightly updated dinosaur? I tell kids that when I was in high school, we had to ask the teacher if we could use calculators on a test. And that the answer was often no. And that the reason for saying no was that there were (ready?) not enought outlets for everyone. haha. Their jaws just drop to think you had to plug in your calculator.

I am clueless on scanning, uploading, etc. Too much beyond Copy-Paste leaves me in the dust. I have to figure it out though, if for no other reason than being able to use the Pick-Up Threads without having my scan disappear in one week. I've tried imageshack twice now with no luck. The site must know it's me somehow.

Joann

Old 01-20-2006, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: martin dalziel

not slide rules, but for some reason for a while there i was accumulating logrithm tables. I guess that puts me in the dinosaur category too.

Old 01-20-2006, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

slide rules are a serious collectible

http://cgi.ebay.com/Analon-Engineering-Science-Analysis-Slide-Rule_W0QQitemZ6243439708QQcategoryZ414QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem

There was also one that had a bid over $2200 but did not meet reserve.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 01-20-2006, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BcD

1) BST is great except for one thing. When people write:

"19o8 E-102 Cobb in SGC 96 holder on e-bay now" I roll my eyes.
ALL of us will see it and even if th card is a marginal one in desirability a LINK would always be nice!

2) Barry-with you,buying sight unseen would be no problem.Lord knowns I know that after stuff I have been through with you over 10 years or so but for most people a scan is always the selling point.Could Mrs. Sloate show ole BS how to use the thing ? LOL

Old 01-20-2006, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

BcD, on one hand it sounds like you are complaining that people post their card is on ebay...but on the other hand you are complaining they don't post links to their auction on ebay.

Old 01-20-2006, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

you post cards in the B/S/T thread which are selling on ebay:
1) To make sure 54ers are aware and can have a crack at them;
2) The selfish reason- example, last night I posted 10 nice 1911 Zeenuts on ebay and when they finally appeared, there were 4 or 5 pages of T206s, etc. on top of them, driving them out of sight. Oh well, at least I didn't accidentally pick "dump day" and have had 35 pages of Wheat's inventory on top of me!
Oh by the way, I did post a link to all the cards in the thread...

Old 01-20-2006, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BcD

cmoking
(Login cmoking) huh?

no,I realize people are going to post an ad for e-bay anyway so the least they could do is post a link if they are going to do it. I just don't like the references to e-bay either way~

Old 01-20-2006, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Don't both the Barrys who don't know how to scan have Ph.D.s?

I understand completely. My wife had to help me with it for several months.
JimB, Ph.D.

Old 01-20-2006, 11:57 PM
Administrator

As I promised you will get my first scans, Jim!

Looks like it going to take a while though.

These PhD's we got weren't real practical, were they?!

all the best,

barry

Old 01-21-2006, 02:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

My dad's a retired engineering professor, and he said he knew he was old when a student pointed at the thing on his desk (a slide rule) and asked what it was. He's not sentimental, but still has his slide rule from when he was a student. I've seen it many times since I was a kid, but have no clue how it works.

Old 01-21-2006, 07:05 AM
Administrator

My wife could show me how to scan but I think I have a fear of technology. Some people are afraid of heights, I have a fear of anything with moving parts or complicated directions. It's an anxiety issue more than anything.

Old 01-21-2006, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

I still use a 20" 1932 Keuffel & Esser model that my dad gave to me when I went to MIT. It is reversable and has 7 scales - works great and scares the hell out of some clients. The scales are logarithmic( for those of you on the west coast think Richter Scale) you simply slide the scale and add to multiply and subtract to divide. No bugs or virus to worry about nice mahogany base - termite proof. Also still use 1933 Burington Handbook of Mathematical Tables and Formulas and must confess at least 1 of the six computers that we have at home.