NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-26-2014, 12:08 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Default Isnt this always the 'counteroffer' ramblng

When buying a card or making an offer..especially on an internet site like net54 (seller of cards are able to post cards on other internet sites if already on net54..this isn't a private showing at a house) i am always aware that any offer i make on a card has to be high enough net to the seller that it wouldn't be worth their time to list on ebay after fees..

i always assume its not a firesale and they don't have to sell immediately, unless they state otherwise....

thus, the counter offer to any buyer offer is whatever the seller thinks can get on ebay, no?.....am i the only one that thinks that?

yes i know there is always gray area about what a card may go for..but for graded cards i would think the ultimate counter offer for market price is

"ill list on ebay"

or if not really want to sell at market price and/or want more than they would get on ebay

"ill keep it"

There are some seller prices i wish they would just sell it on ebay...so those sellers really don't ever counter with 'ill list on ebay' thus if they cant counter with that , then they really not trying to sell the card at market price ever.. (exceptions for easy sale, rarity with little price history, time delay etc, private collection etc)

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 12-26-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:25 PM
Al Richter

Default Countering

What more can be said....
Old 12-26-2014, 12:36 PM
Chris

I take it from your post that you believe that a seller on Net54 should either pass along all of the savings from not selling it on another auction platform (eBay or one of the auction houses) to the buyer or stick to the traditional auction house?

I don't think I necessarily agree. If someone lists a card on here, I don't expect to necessarily get it at a discount to what I would pay elsewhere. Sure, if the piece is not uncommon, a seller may willing to pass along part of the savings to encourage buyers on this forum, but that is his/her decision. But, if it is something I want, I get enough of a benefit from buying from here versus another forum (i.e., I don't have to question 1) the authenticity of autographs from the sellers here or 2) whether a card has been trimmed, etc.), that there is usually enough of an incentive to buy through here.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:41 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
I take it from your post that you believe that a seller on Net54 should either pass along all of the savings from not selling it on another auction platform (eBay or one of the auction houses) to the buyer or stick to the traditional auction house?

I don't think I necessarily agree. If someone lists a card on here, I don't expect to necessarily get it at a discount to what I would pay elsewhere. Sure, if the piece is not uncommon, a seller may willing to pass along part of the savings to encourage buyers on this forum, but that is his/her decision. But, if it is something I want, I get enough of a benefit from buying from here versus another forum (i.e., I don't have to question 1) the authenticity of autographs from the sellers here or 2) whether a card has been trimmed, etc.), that there is usually enough of an incentive to buy through here.
im actually a seller here a lot....I think savings should be passed to the buyer and a bigger net should be given to the seller for not being on ebay.... if a sale is done right..

I think seller or buyer, basically you have to assume the seller can always list on ebay if feels its worth it versus taking an offer he is unconfortable with.......ebay always an elephant in the room ..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 12-26-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:17 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

If only Ebay was like the AH's. Charge the buyers a 10% BP(buyer premium), thus putting the shoe on the other foot. The seller has no fees and BP is lower than a AH. (most near 18-20%) i think.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:56 PM
Tom Boblitt

You can do all the cipherng about 'net to seller' you want to but most people offer a card at a price they want or will entertain a best offer if it's advertised that way. Either buy it at that price or make an offer. Some people don't live in the net to seller world you do. It makes sense but things are not always buttoned up so nicely. If you like the card and the price, it works. If not, move on to another offer or another card. You will never have everyone fall into the same category on selling on the BST versus ebay......

Last edited by autograf; 12-26-2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:26 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I hate that nickel and dime crap negotiating. If you have to sweat a fee out of a seller you really should not be buying cards or any other luxury goods. Worst of all is the buyer who wants a 3% discount for a check instead of PayPal. Yeah, but I want my hourly rate plus mileage for taking the paper to the bank. When I run across a buyer like that I just pass on the deal. Life is too short

Bottom line: don't be a schnorrer (yiddish: chiseler or cheapskate) about the hobby and people will respond favorably. Negotiate every deal like it was paid for in blood and no one will want to deal with you.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-27-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:28 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I hate that nickel and dime crap negotiating. If you have to sweat a fee out of a seller you really should not be buying cards or any other luxury goods. Worst of all is the buyer who wants a 3% discount for a check instead of PayPal. Yeah, but I want my hourly rate plus mileage for taking the paper to the bank. When I run across a buyer like that I just pass on the deal. Life is too short

Bottom line: don't be a schnorrer (yiddish: chiseler or cheapskate) about the hobby and people will respond favorably. Negotiate every deal like it was paid for in blood and no one will want to deal with you.
Well said; I'm typically a buyer and I would want to buy again from reputable dealers so I purchase the item outright or offer what I believe the item is worth; typically no more, no less. Of course I'm in it for a hobby, not life and death.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:09 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:

I just use 'net to seller' language so you don't see 100 payal 90, paypal friends, 90 money order etc...sellers are the ones that sweat the 3 % so I use the net to seller language whether im the buyer or the seller so theres no problems or misunderstandings....that's all I mean when say net to seller..not trying to be cute or underhanded...
Old 12-28-2014, 11:11 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by autograf View Post
You can do all the cipherng about 'net to seller' you want to but most people offer a card at a price they want or will entertain a best offer if it's advertised that way. Either buy it at that price or make an offer. Some people don't live in the net to seller world you do. It makes sense but things are not always buttoned up so nicely. If you like the card and the price, it works. If not, move on to another offer or another card. You will never have everyone fall into the same category on selling on the BST versus ebay......

no cyphering either way..go look at all the seller posts...they ask for differnet amounts of money depending how they are paid most of the time....most people take different amounts of money depending on how its paid in b/s/t or do most take the same price no matter how its paid? no need to talk about ciphering ..
Old 12-28-2014, 11:29 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

. i am always aware that any offer i make on a card has to be high enough net to the seller that it wouldn't be worth their time to list on ebay after fees..

Who decides what their time is worth?

I've noticed an awful lot of gripes for a "hobby' that is supposed to be " fun and enjoyable ".

BTW what figure did you use for my 'time" when you offered $100 for my n9 display of 40 cards?

Just curious

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 12-28-2014, 11:38 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
. i am always aware that any offer i make on a card has to be high enough net to the seller that it wouldn't be worth their time to list on ebay after fees..

Who decides what their time is worth?

I've noticed an awful lot of gripes for a "hobby' that is supposed to be " fun and enjoyable ".

BTW what figure did you use for my 'time" when you offered $100 for my n9 display of 40 cards?

Just curious

no one is paid for their time.....like you said..card buying and selling is fun and enjoyable and a hobby..stop griping.....ive paid about $10,000 this month on cards so I think my offers have been worth the time a few peoples time, including several members of net54...

nice to make a gripe about one lone offer about cards that you asked the forum for any offers ..I thnk $600 or so was a bit high? ..was listed a long time....sorry to make an offer when you were asking for any offer..........and you did say 'it has to go' and asked for any offers....now you complain if an offer is too low? I really think its in poor taste to talk about one offer to you and post on the board...anyone can post one offer they don't like and post it...people don't post offers that they should of taken and end up taking less...never seen anyone post that ..

update: looks like its now listed at $350....been listed since January of 2014 (about a year).......been updating that thread about 30 times. (you have had time to update it for a year)....nice to complain about first offer and then complain about griping for a hobby that's fun....

"Size is 18x26, definitely was a period creation and I think it is a mahogany or cherry frame? This has been one of my favorite pieces, but moving and it has to go. I have never open the the frame to see how the card are adhered. Also, very curious why the last card is backwards and ISNT an N9 says "American Eagle Company detroit, MI similar to n309?

looking for $350/bo"

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 12-28-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:57 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

One thing I try never to forget is that a transaction takes place between two willing people, and willingness doesn't necessarily boil down to finances. More important to me when it comes to hobby dealings, is my sanity. I simply will not deal with buyers or sellers or traders who are annoying, rude, obnoxious, cheap, overly demanding, whiny, etc. (not saying you are that way, just listing my negative criteria). If a person comes across that way before the transaction is consummated, I cut it off there. When I make a deal with someone like that, the one deal is the last one we do. When I see someone behaving like a troll elsewhere I refuse to deal with them when approached. I'd rather forego the income than deal with the nonsense. Besides, the item will sell elsewhere anyway. Another thing I try to bear in mind is that there are many other people out there who I haven't dealt with but who are reading these posts and might be taking their cues from them. Wouldn't want my whining and obnoxiousness to turn them off from dealing with me.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-28-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:23 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
One thing I try never to forget is that a transaction takes place between two willing people, and willingness doesn't necessarily boil down to finances. More important to me when it comes to hobby dealings, is my sanity. I simply will not deal with buyers or sellers or traders who are annoying, rude, obnoxious, cheap, overly demanding, whiny, etc. (not saying you are that way, just listing my negative criteria). If a person comes across that way before the transaction is consummated, I cut it off there. When I make a deal with someone like that, the one deal is the last one we do. When I see someone behaving like a troll elsewhere I refuse to deal with them when approached. I'd rather forego the income than deal with the nonsense. Besides, the item will sell elsewhere anyway. Another thing I try to bear in mind is that there are many other people out there who I haven't dealt with but who are reading these posts and might be taking their cues from them. Wouldn't want my whining and obnoxiousness to turn them off from dealing with me.

I hear ya.....if you see my first post..i just saying that ebay is the elephant in the room so WHEN I make an offer to someone I am aware they can always sell on ebay which should be beneficial to a seller when an offer is made...

when you say 'the item will sell elsewhere anyway' that means you really are paying attention to the money actually, what if it wont sell? I assuming from the post you would be in the 'just keep it category' so the fact it will or wont sell really wouldn't matter to you....

there are listings on ebay for years based on some sellers not taking a reasonable offer because they not like the buyer...(not saying you are that way)

I don't think this thread talks about anyone being hard to deal with..just talks about the fact that ebay is always present......no right or wrong way...

in other sales transactions ebay just isn't the ultimate counteroffer....lots of b/s/t trade posts then end with 'off to ebay' ...i am assuming the seller didn't think the offers that came in on net54 would beat ebay...thus the ultimate counteroffer...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 12-28-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:58 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Earlier this year I consigned and sold a card through an AH - it went for several thousand. More recently that card has appeared both here and ebay simultaneously - it is less expensive here by a couple of hundred and I can only assume the difference is in ebay fees, etc.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:02 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

For me, I just take them as they come. If someone says they want more for whatever reason, that is their business. All that really matters to me is, after it's all said and done, am I happy? I go by the motto that a good deal is when the buyer and seller are both happy. If it's not good for both then it's not a good deal. If it is good, then I don't really care of the other circumstances. If they want 3% more for taking paypal, and I want to pay that way, I just put it into the equation to see if it's good for me. As for making low offers, I make them sometimes. I don't make $75 offers on $500 cards but I do offer 50% or close to it, sometimes. Just be polite and communicate well and most issues take care of themselves, one way or another.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:05 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Just be polite and communicate well

Some people would rather throw money at the problem, than identify it.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 12-29-2014, 10:12 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
For me, I just take them as they come. If someone says they want more for whatever reason, that is their business. All that really matters to me is, after it's all said and done, am I happy? I go by the motto that a good deal is when the buyer and seller are both happy. If it's not good for both then it's not a good deal. If it is good, then I don't really care of the other circumstances. If they want 3% more for taking paypal, and I want to pay that way, I just put it into the equation to see if it's good for me. As for making low offers, I make them sometimes. I don't make $75 offers on $500 cards but I do offer 50% or close to it, sometimes. Just be polite and communicate well and most issues take care of themselves, one way or another.
Great post Leon. Can we make this a sticky at the top of the BST threads so people will know how to deal with each other.

Jeff
Old 12-29-2014, 02:21 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
Great post Leon. Can we make this a sticky at the top of the BST threads so people will know how to deal with each other.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff. Unlike other forums we make sticky threads for only really special issues. It was a rather good post though . Take care my friend
Old 12-29-2014, 03:20 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Thanks Jeff. Unlike other forums we make sticky threads for only really special issues. It was a rather good post though . Take care my friend
Actually, I was being a little bit tongue in cheek when I wrote it...I guess I should have used a emoticon to convey that . Happy New Year to you and your family.

Jeff