NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-01-2011, 11:17 AM

Default Im new, I need Help Please

So this is my 1st ebay purchase and it all seems to be going a bit sour, i really need some help and advice please.

I found this Guy selling this item on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_2121wt_952

I contacted him and asked if he would be willing to ship to South Africa. I got no response. I contacted him 3 days later asking the same question and if he could give an estimate of the cost of shipping to South Africa, Again i got no response.

I then contact a friend in the US and asked if i could ship them something and then they reship to me in South AFrica, they agreed, I entered their shipping information and purchased a few boxes of the product for $17 a box.(5boxes)

Here is the ebay reciept:

Expedited Shipping : US $49.95
USPS Priority Mail Medium Flat Rate Box®
Estimated delivery: July 26 - July 27-sais it was posted 21/07/2011

I pay the total and he sends me a message :
Dear 1acid85,

its going to cost more than that to ship the cards to you i will need you to send more money for the s/h

- ksmithcards

I reply asking how much and if its not possible he can go ahead and ship to my USA address, he doesnt get back to me and just ships to the USA address.

So now the 26/27 passes and my friend recieves no parcel and again today she still has not received it, so I messaged him asking him whats going on:

Dear 1acid85,

not sure if i have them i will check i went to the post office and paid for the shipping there i was asking them what it would be to ship all the way to south africa and they said it would cost alot

- ksmithcards
Click "respond" to reply through Messages, or go to your email to reply

To: ksmithcards
Subject: Re: Where is my item?: 1acid85 sent a message about FLAT RATE BOX FILLED TO THE TOP W OLD WAX PACKS & SETS #220802819419
Sent Date: Aug-01-11 08:30:37 PDT

Dear ksmithcards,

Do you have a tracking number for the package? Maybe i can check where it is?

Thanks for the replys
Craig

- 1acid85

To: 1acid85
Subject: Re: Where is my item?: 1acid85 sent a message about FLAT RATE BOX FILLED TO THE TOP W OLD WAX PACKS & SETS #220802819419
Sent Date: Aug-01-11 08:27:12 PDT

Dear 1acid85,

on the boxes it says box number 1 of 5 and so on and they all have a packing slip saying they are for you to be forward to south africa it takes time but they were sent out over a week ago

- ksmithcards

Sent Date: Aug-01-11 08:22:10 PDT

Dear ksmithcards,

Can you check with the tracking number? I am unsure of what to do? Is there anyway you can help me? What day did u send it on? Can you think of any reason why it would take a week longer than estimated?

Thanks
Craig

- 1acid85

To: 1acid85
Sent Date: Aug-01-11 08:12:31 PDT

Dear 1acid85,

THEY WENT OUT LAST WEEK

- ksmithcards

Subject: Where is my item?: 1acid85 sent a message about FLAT RATE BOX FILLED TO THE TOP W OLD WAX PACKS & SETS #220802819419
Sent Date: Aug-01-11 05:48:15 PDT

Dear ksmithcards,

Hi there, My item has still yet to arriev with my Friend in the USA, could you possibly check the tracking number and tell me what the situation is please.

Thanks
Craig

- 1acid85

Am I being a bit paranoid or is this guy sounding a bit dodgy? Any advice on proceeding would be greatly aprecitaed, and like I say this is my 1st transaction and I am a very much a novice as far as cards and things are concereced although I have been trying to educate myself in the last few weeks, sorry about the spelling...

Craig
Old 08-01-2011, 11:19 AM

Sorry about this the last set of messages reads from bottom to top
Old 08-01-2011, 11:52 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I really understand very little of what you said.

How many different lots did you buy?
How much was shipping?
Did you purchase this from your eBay account or your friend's account?
How did you pay?
Old 08-01-2011, 12:01 PM

Ok,

i bought 5 lots
shipping on each lot to my friend in USA was 9.99$ total 49.95$
My own Ebay Acc
I used my mothers paypal acc(with her concent)

Should i be worried? The guy seems a bit stupid?
Old 08-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Dean

You'll need to read up on the eBay and PayPal rules. At some point you can file a claim for item not being received. If the seller used Priority Mail, which is what he was advertising, it should take 3 days tops to a US address. I'm not sure what impact having him ship to a non-verified address will have.

Beyond that, if you send two questions to someone and get ignored I'd suggest scratching them off the list of sellers you want to do business with. If they can't be bothered to answer chances are they will not be overly committed to a smooth deal.

Good luck with the transaction.

my eBay auctions
Old 08-01-2011, 02:00 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Buyer and seller both made mistakes here. Both are at fault.

Several things to address:

1.) If you purchased multiple lots, the seller should have combined shipping for you. $49.95 shipping is absolutely ridiculous unless he shipped 5 separate packages. If he shipped everything in 1 package, then you got screwed on shipping.

2.) For the seller to covered (seller protection), he should have shipped to the address that is provided by PayPal. So, if the payment was made from your mother's PayPal account, the seller should have shipped to that address. Is that the address you're expecting the package to go to?

3.) Either way, the seller should have provided a tracking number.

4.) If you do not get your packages, I’m not sure who PayPal would side with in this case. This is very difficult and I wouldn’t recommend doing it like this in the future. If the seller doesn’t ship to South Africa, then move on to the next item.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:05 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdrx View Post
You'll need to read up on the eBay and PayPal rules. At some point you can file a claim for item not being received. If the seller used Priority Mail, which is what he was advertising, it should take 3 days tops to a US address. I'm not sure what impact having him ship to a non-verified address will have.
That's what makes this a very difficult situation. Did the seller ship to the PayPal address, or did the seller ship to another address that the buyer provided? I'm not sure he can file a INR - he didn't pay. Payment came from a PayPal account that was not associated with his eBay account.

He can't PROVE payment for THIS purchase. If he tells PayPal that payment was made from another account, all the seller has to say is that was for a different purchase for different items. I'm not sure if the buyer is covered because the payment did not come from his PayPal account.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:25 PM

I sent him a bunch of msgs most of which he now replied to, he hasnt yet provided a tracking number but did say this :

He has now replied with this:

Dear 1acid85,

if they are not there by friday you will not need to file a claim i will grant you a full refund

- ksmithcards

BTW- I am very suspicoiuse why i did not get a discount on shipping as i did buy multiple lots... should I be hitting this guy with 1 start negative ratings?

Thanks
Old 08-01-2011, 03:16 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1acid View Post
BTW- I am very suspicoiuse why i did not get a discount on shipping as i did buy multiple lots... should I be hitting this guy with 1 start negative ratings?
It depends on how the payment was sent. If it was sent as 5 spearate payments, he is supposed to send 5 separate packages, each with delivery confirmation - if he wants the eBay seller protection.

If one payment was sent for all 5 items, then he should have combined the shipping for you.

Just wait until you get the packages and look at the postage amount (how much it cost him to ship) on the package(s).

If there is a significant difference, email him about the situation. He may refund you some of the shipping cost. If not, ding him!
Old 08-01-2011, 06:34 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

It sounds like you guys confused the sh!t out of each other... I wouldn't necessarily blame you or the seller for this mess. Those kinds of lots can create a bit of a mess just staying in the US, but once the South Africa thing came into play, it seems as though it made an even bigger mess. Not to mention different paypal accounts, addresses,, relays in shipping, so on and so on...

As long as he refunds you, I probably wouldn't blast him with negatives.. It sound like he's confused, you're confused, hell, even we're a bit confused. I'd probably give him a pass for the way things went, so long as tries to make it right.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:15 PM
Dean

The seller's ad says:

Quote:
SO WHAT I AM DOING IS
TAKING ALL THE CARDS AND PUTTING THEM INTO
USPS MEDIUM FLAT RATE BOXES
$$ EVERY BOX WILL HAVE
WAX PACKS,SETS,AND ROOKIE CARDS $$
AND SELLING THEM FOR $29.00 EACH
PLUS $9.99 FOR THE COST OF THE S/H
Seems reasonable to think that buyer will be paying shipping for each lot, unless some special arrangement is made with seller to pack multiple lots into larger packages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
It sounds like you guys confused the sh!t out of each other... I wouldn't necessarily blame you or the seller for this mess. Those kinds of lots can create a bit of a mess just staying in the US, but once the South Africa thing came into play, it seems as though it made an even bigger mess. Not to mention different paypal accounts, addresses,, relays in shipping, so on and so on...

As long as he refunds you, I probably wouldn't blast him with negatives.. It sound like he's confused, you're confused, hell, even we're a bit confused. I'd probably give him a pass for the way things went, so long as tries to make it right.
+1 on the confusion, and I agree, if the seller makes this right I wouldn't blast him with a negative.

my eBay auctions
Old 08-01-2011, 08:18 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdrx View Post
if the seller makes this right I wouldn't blast him with a negative.
I really don't think you could leave him a negative anyway. You could, but he could get it removed by filing a NPB - which he has every right to do. I know the item was paid for, but technically YOU didn't pay for the item as far as eBay/PayPal are concerned. In other words, there is no record of payment from your eBay/PayPal account. Heck, you can't even get eBay's buyer protection. Hopefully the package(s) will show up and everything will work out.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:12 PM

Well, since he paid through PayPal, as far as eBay and PayPal are concerned he did pay. They do not know this right now, (because he used a different account) but from past experience, if he were to call them up and show the proof of payment through the other PayPal account they will accept that.

If a seller ships to an unregistered PayPal address that is only the advantage to the buyer. It almost guarantees a buyer's success in a case. That's why you'll find that some sellers will not ship to unregistered addresses.

If you don't receive the items, there's nothing to worry about. Simply go to the other PayPal account and file a claim through PayPal for item not received. Both PayPal and eBay claims are equally effective. If you didn't pay with a credit card, make sure to file a claim before 45 days are up. If you used a credit card, chargebacks will work 99% of the time.

Last edited by Brendan; 08-04-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:28 AM

Ok well he messaged me last night to say that the packages were returned to him- He even added" Im glad I got them back becuase I had forgot to pay for tracking" IM like WTF- I payd for the tracking.... Anyways I have now asked him to ship directly to me, he has not gotten back to me...
Old 08-05-2011, 09:00 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
Well, since he paid through PayPal, as far as eBay and PayPal are concerned he did pay.
Ummm, no, as far as eBay and PayPal are concerned he DIDN'T pay. There is no record of payment coming from HIM. The payment came from SOMEBODY ELSE'S PAYPAL ACCOUNT.

He cannot file an INR because the payment wasn't made from his PayPal account.

What is so difficult to understand about that?

Edited to add: You can't pay for eBay purchases from a PayPal account that isn't yours. By your logic, if I am outbid on an item at the last second I can just send PayPal for the item anyway (although I didn't win) pretending to be the buyer? Yeah, I think I'll try that one and see how far I get.

The payment has to come from the winning bidder's account. In the OP's case, all the seller has to say is that the payment from ther other person was for a totally different purchase and there is no proof otherwise.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 08-05-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:18 AM

Sounds like it may be time to cut your losses (ie. time wasted) and just ask for him to refund your money. These "grab bag" type auctions where you get a box of undisclosed stuff are usually ripoffs to begin with, so consider it a lesson learned. I'd stay away from these types of auctions, as you'll never get full value on your dollar.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Ummm, no, as far as eBay and PayPal are concerned he DIDN'T pay. There is no record of payment coming from HIM. The payment came from SOMEBODY ELSE'S PAYPAL ACCOUNT.

He cannot file an INR because the payment wasn't made from his PayPal account.

What is so difficult to understand about that?

Edited to add: You can't pay for eBay purchases from a PayPal account that isn't yours. By your logic, if I am outbid on an item at the last second I can just send PayPal for the item anyway (although I didn't win) pretending to be the buyer? Yeah, I think I'll try that one and see how far I get.

The payment has to come from the winning bidder's account. In the OP's case, all the seller has to say is that the payment from ther other person was for a totally different purchase and there is no proof otherwise.
Actually, you are incorrect. This issue has happened to me before. I simply called up PayPal and told them the situation. You either pay through your PayPal account or show proof of payment. The other PayPal account was proof of payment. That's good enough for an eBay case. To make it easier, you might as well just file a PayPal case instead. Even if the seller says it's for a totally different purchase, unless he sends the item for that purchase you can't lose.

Any form of payment will probably work. If he sent a check and photocopied it, they would consider that proof of payment. If he sent cash with tracking and signature confirmation, they would probably accept that too.

Last edited by Brendan; 08-05-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:18 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Here's the situation. He lives in South Africa and bought the cards with HIS eBay account. The cards were paid for from his MOM's PayPal account (who also lives in South Africa). He asked the cards to be shipped to a Massachusetts address. He's screwed!

You cannot pay for an eBay transaction from a PayPal account that doesn't belong to you and be protected by eBay. You couldn't be more wrong on this.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Here's the situation. He lives in South Africa and bought the cards with HIS eBay account. The cards were paid for from his MOM's PayPal account (who also lives in South Africa). He asked the cards to be shipped to a Massachusetts address. He's screwed!

You cannot pay for an eBay transaction from a PayPal account that doesn't belong to you and be protected by eBay. You couldn't be more wrong on this.
No he isn't. I don't know where you have gotten your knowledge of eBay and PayPal, but it is very flawed.

He can file a PayPal case under that PayPal account! How could he be screwed? He can use that as proof of payment! How could he be screwed? Do you want me to call PayPal up and see what they say?

The whole point of this thread is to help 1acid out. What 1acid needs to do is file a case under his mother's PayPal account. Unless an item is sent to that address, he will win the INR case. If for some reason he can't open up a case through his mother's PayPal account, he can go to plan B. That would calling up eBay and showing proof of payment through the other PayPal account. He would probably have to confirm some of the information on both accounts, so he would need to have that printed out/written down.

So 1acid can

A. Do what I just said
B. Consider himself screwed and lose his money

A great forum for these issues is aspkin.com/forums. It's mainly for people having eBay and PayPal issues (suspended accounts, selling limits, etc.). Most people there sell on eBay as their main job, so they know just about anything there is to know about PayPal and eBay. People over there would know exactly what to do.

Last edited by Brendan; 08-05-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:43 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
He can file a PayPal case under that PayPal account!
No, he can't file a PayPal case under that PayPal account because it's NOT HIS account. What is so difficult to comprehend about that? It would be like you filing a PayPal case under my account. You wouldn't get very far.

His mom can file a PayPal case, but I really don't think she would win because she paid for an eBay purchase that wasn't hers.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
No, he can't file a PayPal case under that PayPal account because it's NOT HIS account. What is so difficult to comprehend about that? It would be like you filing a PayPal case under my account. You wouldn't get very far.

His mom can file a PayPal case, but I really don't think she would win because she paid for an eBay purchase that wasn't hers.
It doesn't matter if it is not his account. It makes it more complicated, but you have just as great a chance of winning.

Even if the seller claims that she bought tulips from him, if he doesn't send her anything there's no way you can lose. (unless PayPal suspects fraud on your part- e.g. she files a PayPal claim for every single payment) If he sends tulips, an important looking letter from your so called lawyer will usually scare someone enough to receive the cards overnight.

In the Paypal world, buyer > seller. Unless the case is obvious, buyer/sender will almost always win. If for some reason the PayPal case doesn't work out, just file a chargeback with your credit card.

This will be my last post here. Good luck on getting your money back.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:47 AM

Ok thanks for everyones input: Here is what has happened:

The seller contacted me, he refused to entertain the idea of resending my stuff either to my friend or to me directly. He kept telling me I owed him the money for the shipping which was returned to him.I filed a claim with Ebay, then tried Paypal but Paypal said Ebay had already started the process. He then said he would issue a full refund If I would leave 5* feedback. I told him he must issue the refund then I would leave the feedback just to get this mess sorted out. (Although I am not sure this person is not a scammer) Anyways after about 5 more emails, he finally issued the refund and I went and left the 5* feedback.

Full Refund Issued, Case closed, not allot of fun, but I was prtoected by Ebay buyer protection even though it was not my paypal acc.

Thanks again for all the information guys, have a good 1

peace from Africa