NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

View Poll Results: You have $20k in post-war superstars. Strictly from a financial viewpoint you should:
Hold on to them - the cards are a better option than most investments 16 39.02%
Cash them in and go with a traditional investment 22 53.66%
Other (but you can't sell them and buy more cards!) 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2011, 06:33 AM
Dean

Default Baseball Card Investment/Finance Question

Situation: You have a stack of post-war Topps superstars cards with market value of approx $20,000. You have no desire to keep these cards. They are basically an investment at this point. You don't need the cash in the short term.

Questions: Do you keep them, thinking they have a good chance to outperform many investment options and are relatively risk free? Or do you sell them now and put the cash in the investment option of your choice given your longer term needs? Note, there is no option to sell them and buy more cards. That would be too easy.

my eBay auctions
Old 08-02-2011, 06:37 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

Is the approx. of $20k as a lot or selling them off one at a time?
Drew
Old 08-02-2011, 06:38 AM
Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostdone View Post
Is the approx. of $20k as a lot or selling them off one at a time?
Drew
One at a time. Good question.

my eBay auctions
Old 08-02-2011, 06:43 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdrx View Post
One at a time. Good question.
I think you would have to take in to consideration the time investment as well then. But now or later it still will take a huge chunk of time unless you just have two 52 Topps Mantles to sell
Old 08-02-2011, 06:49 AM
Steve Birmingham

Just as it would be for stocks, it would depend on exactly which cards. Some have probably peaked, and will have fairly modest appreciation over say the next 10 years. Others will continue to do better, and a few others will decrease a bit.

And being collectibles, the condition matters as well. is the 55 Clemente g-vg, or a solid ex or better?

And how long term are you considering? If you want to maximize returns over the next year, selling and investing in something else is risky, but more likely to bring bigger returns.

Steve B
Old 08-02-2011, 09:48 AM
Doug C.

Since the presented situation says I don't need the cash, I would just hold onto them. That's based on the guess that I must have been in pretty good shape financially to begin with if I had an extra $20k to spend on baseball cards.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:43 AM
Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Since the presented situation says I don't need the cash, I would just hold onto them. That's based on the guess that I must have been in pretty good shape financially to begin with if I had an extra $20k to spend on baseball cards.
Well, you probably spent way less than $20k back 25 or 30 years...But capital gains are an entirely different topic.

This is what I have been doing with my cards - just holding on to them because I have no real reason to sell them. It's also the crux of this thread: Will they outperform the market over the next 10+ years? steve b made an excellent point in that the details matter. Which cards, in what condition, and what investments will you make if you sell the cards?

I guess the question should be more about the baseball card market and less about comparison vs other investments. Baseball card sales track with the economy, I suppose, but beyond that what can we expect? I would think that baby boomers have created some of the strong demand that fuels card value, as they reached middle age and beyond with disposable income and memories of Willie, Mickey and the Duke in their heads. But when those boomers start to disappear, and families sell off collections, we may see more supply than demand for post-war Topps superstars.

my eBay auctions

Last edited by xdrx; 08-02-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:26 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Personally, I don't think cards will hold up with the market. Sure, the value in dollars shouldn't drop, but the value of those dollars probably will, especially with baseball cards being a primarily American investment, with little to no international value.. If, and this is a big IF, you can find something that's guaranteed to increase in value, or at the very least hold it's value exponentially with inflation, then I say go ahead and move 'em...

Last edited by novakjr; 08-02-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:06 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default I am with Steve

I am with Steve in my thinking of this one. I would look at the big cards in the group and see what I thought their value was today vs where it might go....ie nicer examples should do better over time, given the nature of collectibles and discretionary income to start with. Then make a decision and move on. I will have to say though, if everything were exactly equal investment-wise, I would rather look at cards than a bank account.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:01 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I am with Steve in my thinking of this one. I would look at the big cards in the group and see what I thought their value was today vs where it might go....ie nicer examples should do better over time, given the nature of collectibles and discretionary income to start with. Then make a decision and move on. I will have to say though, if everything were exactly equal investment-wise, I would rather look at cards than a bank account.
Agreed. If completely equal, I'd rather look at the cards, all day, any day..
Old 08-03-2011, 06:32 PM
Dean

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. Lots of good points being made. Poll results show almost 2:1 in favor of selling cards, which I was a little surprised by, but I guess collectors like to have more cards in circulation.

my eBay auctions
Old 08-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Dean

Any different thoughts after watching the market today? Yikes

my eBay auctions
Old 08-04-2011, 06:26 PM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdrx View Post
Any different thoughts after watching the market today? Yikes
After the hit my retirement fund just took I think I want to change my vote from hold onto my cards to cash out what's left of my IRA and buy more cards instead...
Old 08-05-2011, 10:33 AM

Default Sell Vs Investment

Funny, Doug. I am sure a lot of us feel the same way about taking a hit on retirement accounts. Taking retirement dollars and investing in cards is known as the Leon strategy. However, I don't think I will ever have the knowledge he & others have about cards.

I think the original question has many facets to it. As previous posters said, it really depends upon what cards you have as well as what you are going to invest in. I feel most high grade HOF'ers and other high end cards are a great "investment" right now and will do well in the long run. Commons and other cards, I am not as sure about. Conversely, there are other traditional investments I wouldn't dare to plunk a dollar in to in today's market. Interesting question.

Zach Wheat
Old 08-05-2011, 11:38 AM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Wheat View Post
Funny, Doug. I am sure a lot of us feel the same way about taking a hit on retirement accounts. Taking retirement dollars and investing in cards is known as the Leon strategy. However, I don't think I will ever have the knowledge he & others have about cards.

I think the original question has many facets to it. As previous posters said, it really depends upon what cards you have as well as what you are going to invest in. I feel most high grade HOF'ers and other high end cards are a great "investment" right now and will do well in the long run. Commons and other cards, I am not as sure about. Conversely, there are other traditional investments I wouldn't dare to plunk a dollar in to in today's market. Interesting question.

Zach Wheat
Maybe we can get Leon to start the first vintage baseball card ETF. We can all just pool our retirement savings into it and let him invest our money in vintage cards. He could post scans in the pickup threads so we can keep an eye on our portfolios. Sounds like it would be more fun (and probably more profitable right now) than regular mutual funds.