NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-27-2017, 09:33 PM
Dustin Bellinger

Default Brian Powell's Book - Personal Recommendation

I am sure many of you have seen fellow board member Brian Powell (brian1961) make references to the book he has written on vintage regional and food issue sets. (Never Cheaper By the Dozen) Not long ago one of those mentions piqued my interest and I sent Brian a pm to inquire more about his book. He told me a bit more about it and I decided to give it a read and greatly enjoyed it. Brian was also kind enough to answer a number of follow up questions that I had about the cards, events, and people featured in the book.

As someone that did not grow collecting during the 50s-70s the book contained lots of good information about the individual sets, some of which I knew very little about. What made the book entertaining for me though was the stories of the individual collectors and the lengths they went though to acquire that special card or complete a set. My favorite story involves a young Dodger fan going to great lengths to acquire a Morrell Meats Sandy Koufax.

Full disclosure: After Brian was kind enough to share his knowledge and experience to answer the additional questions I had for him I asked if he would be OK with me posting this endorsement. Brian have me permission to make this post but did not solicit it. Trying to get information about non-mainstream cards can be like pulling teeth so I am happy to try to help out someone that I have found that is graciously willing to share.

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.

Last edited by Shoebox; 04-05-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:24 AM
Mark Rios

Absolutely endorse his book, as well!!!!
Great read and incredible eye to detail.

Kudos to you Brian.
And thank you.

- Mark
Old 03-28-2017, 05:48 AM
Chris

Agreed 100%. This book is terrific and provides an incredibly interesting perspective on these cards. I got a copy and absolutely love it. Brian is a pal of mine, and I know the effort he put in to getting this to the market, and, at least in my opinion, it was well worth it.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:28 AM
Ben North

I bought a copy about 6-8 months ago and also highly recommend it.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:37 PM
D@ve Berk

I concur with the above sentiments. Brian is a stand up guy and a great author. I have not made it through the entire book yet but it is very detailed, informative, and entertaining. Thumbs up.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:29 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

I also wanted to echo the previous sentiments. I bought Brian's book a few months ago, and there is a ton of great information included.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:38 PM

I am overwhelmed by all of your kind responses. I'm very moved. Thank you.

As I have told some of you, now that I cannot afford "the good stuff", and am "out of the game", I feel free to tell my fellow collectors everything I know about these great cards, coins, et al (pun intended!).

Numerous hobby legends granted me priceless interviews, and some of them are now sadly deceased. I wanted to bring as many reputable hobby names into my book, to let their voices speak. I'm a nobody, but I know a good story when I hear it. So, when Larry Fritsch, Lionel Carter, Rob Lifson, Bill Zimpleman, Jack Urban, Mr. Mint Alan Rosen, Clay Hill, George Husby, Doak Ewing, Mark Hellman, James Cumpton, and several others talked to me, they shared what they knew and told some riveting sea stories that were amazing. They also gave me some great stories involving other hobby legends, such as Buck Barker, George Lyons, and Bob Solon. The stories conspired to make these once "free prizes" come alive again, as well as the boys and men who ravenously pursued them.

Probably my favorite source was a retired history teacher who has a photographic memory. He grew up in Baltimore as a baseball and baseball card-lovin' youngin', the only child in his family. He fell in love with the Esskay Franks Baltimore Orioles. I sent him a TEN-page history test on his adventures collecting those beautiful cards. He took the test seriously and gave me a simply marvelous and very delightful personal portrayal of his life during those two years Esskay issued them. He was just 10-11 years old, and remembered those events as if they were yesterday.

Why is that card so special?

Why are they so hard to come by?

Why is that item worth so much?

What was it like to collect them back in the day, and during the burgeoning years of the adult card hobby?

These were among the questions I tried to address.

Well, my friends, gotta take care of some business, and head to work for the rest of the day. Thanks again for the swell comments. You've made me very happy.

---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 03-30-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:43 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
I am overwhelmed by all of your kind responses. I'm very moved. Thank you.

As I have told some of you, now that I cannot afford "the good stuff", and am "out of the game", I feel free to tell my fellow collectors everything I know about these great cards, coins, et al (pun intended!).

Numerous hobby legends granted me priceless interviews, and some of them are now sadly deceased. I wanted to bring as many reputable hobby names into my book, to let their voices speak. I'm a nobody, but I know a good story when I hear it. So, when Larry Fritsch, Lionel Carter, Rob Lifson, Bill Zimpleman, Jack Urban, Mr. Mint Alan Rosen, Clay Hill, George Husby, Doak Ewing, Mark Hellman, James Cumpton, and several others talked to me, they shared what they knew and told some riveting sea stories that were amazing. They also gave me some great stories involving other hobby legends, such as Buck Barker, George Lyons, and Bob Solon. The stories conspired to make these once "free prizes" come alive again, as well as the boys and men who ravenously pursued them.

Probably my favorite source was a retired history teacher who has a photographic memory. He grew up in Baltimore as a baseball and baseball card-lovin' youngin', the only child in his family. He fell in love with the Esskay Franks Baltimore Orioles. I sent him a TEN-page history test on his adventures collecting those beautiful cards. He took the test seriously and gave me a simply marvelous and very delightful personal portrayal of his life during those two years Esskay issued them. He was just 10-11 years old, and remembered those events as if they were yesterday.

Why is that card so special?

Why are they so hard to come by?

Why is that item worth so much?

What was it like to collect them back in the day, and during the burgeoning years of the adult card hobby?

These were among the questions I tried to address.

Well, my friends, gotta take care of some business, and head to work for the rest of the day. Thanks again for the swell comments. You've made me very happy.

---Brian Powell

Hey Brian- I am intrigued. Where can I get a copy of your book?

Thanks,
Raymond

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 03-30-2017, 07:54 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post

Thanks,
Raymond

Raymond I highly recommend you buy the book, it is great.

Gotta add this though because it is so funny/crazy you can't even make it up. When I contacted Brian about buying a copy of his book he told me how to google search for the information on how to buy it. That seems very normal till you search and what you find is his address to send a check or money order to.LOL
Old 03-30-2017, 08:01 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post

Thanks,
Raymond

Hi Raymond,

Here is the press release that was issued with the book, which includes Brian's address for purposes of ordering it:
http://www.sportscollectorsdigest.co...now-available/

It's well worth it.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:05 PM

Default Brian's book

I just wanted to add my own recommendation for this book. I bought it a little over a year ago, and I've been reading it constantly.
I grew up at the tail end of the period covered, and have great memories of pulling cards out of Frosted Flakes and Danish Go-Rounds, and buying Milk Duds and Bazooka Gum to add cards to my collection.
Since buying this book, I have added examples of many of the sets Brian talks about. I have obtained some Shirriff hockey coins, and my first Beehive photo is on it's way from the Great White North.
I was also the winner of the two different Roberto Clemente Dexter Press (Coca Cola) Premiums in Al's latest LOTG auction.
Prior to the book, I was lucky enough to get a Home Run Derby card from Chris (bestdj777), right here on Net54.
I can't recommend this book enough for anyone with an interest in baseball and baseball cards from the 50's to the 70's.

Completed - 1967 Topps Baseball, 1969 Greiner Tires Pirates, 1964 Topps Giants

Working on - 1967 Topps Test Stickers - Pirates 31/33 just need the 2 Clemente’s

Also looking for a 1970's Spalding Advisory Staff photo of Richie Hebner.

Last edited by blackandgold; 04-20-2017 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Forgot Roberto
Old 05-03-2017, 06:27 AM

Brian,

I just received my copy of the book. Bravo, well done.

Z
Old 06-28-2017, 12:23 PM

Default If you own NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN, do the bookmarks show on your computer screen?

When I was at my brother-in-law's home recently, he had my book up on his computer screen. I was horrified to see the bookmarks did not automatically show on his screen. The bookmarks are important, in that they allow you to click on any chapter or entity of the book you wish to see---immediately. When he adjusted his computer screen settings, the bookmarks appeared.

So, as a way of reaching out to any of my potentially frustrated customers, if the bookmarks are not appearing on your screen at the same time as the book, please adjust your settings. Your computer may not use the terminology "Bookmarks", so try a listed term that's akin to it.

I sincerely apologize for any frustration I may have caused any of my customers.

Have a swell day. ---Brian Powell
Old 06-29-2021, 05:14 AM
Chris

Still loving this book. Thanks Brian for a great vacation read.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57E5F89C-F323-425B-9884-4C054F512A83.jpg (18.6 KB, 138 views)
Old 06-29-2021, 03:49 PM

Many, many thanks, Chris. It makes me so happy you're enjoying it. Happy vacation to you and your family. --- Brian Powell
Old 06-29-2021, 04:34 PM
Andrew

I see that it's available as part of my Kindle Unlimited package, but based on these reviews I am happy to buy it to support a fellow member.