NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-26-2011, 06:42 PM
George

Default New Member Back in Hobby after 20 years

Hi Guys, I didn't see an intro thread so I'll start with this.

First, I am a lifelong die-hard Boston Red Sox fan. I was at the 7th game of the 1975 world series, and at the 1st game of the 2004 world series. I started collecting baseball cards in 1967, another legendary year for the Sox. When I was a kid, Yaz was God. You could literally trade a Yaz in the schoolyard for hundreds of cards.

In the late eighties with most of my original cards destroyed from "Shooting" them against a granite wall in the schoolyard at recess, I started to collect the 67 set again. I was doing pretty well with many fine examples of 6th and 7th series cards. At one point with the set near completion I had to sell portions of it for graduate school, and I think I got taken pretty bad but I had no choice at the time.

Grading and the internet did not exist and this was 1990-91. I also collected 68-69-70 but those in total are not in the fine condition of my 67's.

I have many fundamental questions about the hobby as it exists today. I am going to start working with trying to get my 7th series cards graded, see how that turns out and then upgrade to what is satisfactory to me. I believe many of my 7th series cards are mint, but who knows.

I have had them in 4 screw non recessed holders for the last 20 years. I recently randomly took some of them out to examine them and they slid right out, and were not at all damaged by storing them in this method for so long. Contrary to some horror stories that I have read, (cards sticking and being ruined) probably started by the people that produce other kinds of storage products. Can one believe anything that one reads in this hobby in 2011? That's why I'm here...to get straight advice and learn...and contribute when I can.

I'll post my questions in another thread.

Happy to be here.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:54 PM
FredYoung

Welcome back to the hobby George! I am a big Red Sox fan from RI--watching the Sox & Bruins as I type!
Old 04-26-2011, 07:03 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default welcome

Welcome to the forum George. As for the cards sticking to screw downs, I have cards today that are stuck to them and will not come out without greatly damaging the cards. I don't make other holders either . It does happen. If I were you I would consider putting them in top loaders....but then too, if nothing as happened to them for this long it might be good to leave well enough alone. I do like having my raw cards in penny sleeves and top loaders. They are just easy to handle that way. take care and good luck in the quest....
Old 04-26-2011, 07:14 PM
George

Default re

Thanks for letting me know that about the screw downs Leon. Maybe I lucked out. I have been worried for some time now as my most expensive cards are in them. One thing that may have helped is they have been away from humidity for that entire time.

I do think am going to be getting them graded however.

They look so damn good though in the 4 screws slabs I have. Well more thinking to do.

Thanks
Old 04-26-2011, 08:18 PM
Patrick N.

Default Screw downs

If you are going to use screw downs make sure they are in a sleeve too and that you don't screw the screws too hard...I think the magnetic touch ones that are somewhat new are pretty good for cards.

As for the '67s (great set btw) how is the centering on the cards?
Old 04-26-2011, 10:39 PM
Travis W.

I've heard the same horror stories as you about the 4-screws George. Though I have never actually seen the sticking phenomenon in person I have no doubt it happens. The environment they are stored in has a LOT to do with it. Clean, dry, and cool is best. I think humidity is the main killer.

Glad to have you back in the hobby! Hopefully some of the fine folks here will be able to help you with some of your current and future collecting projects! They've been a big help to me. I'm pretty new to the hobby and I'm hopelessly hooked after completing my first project, lol. Best of luck on yours!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:40 AM
David (30%) Hall

Welcome to the Jungle George...good place.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:52 PM
Lance

And I thought my near decade out of collectiing was a long time
Old 04-27-2011, 09:18 PM
Larry

Hi, George, glad to have you back.

With regard to the screwdowns, I've used lucite for 20 years and never had a problem so long as I've also used plastic sleeves inside the screwdown and only tightened the screws finger-tip tight with the screwdriver--no need at all to really crank on them, they aren't getting away!

Happy collecting!

Larry