NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-11-2003, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Default Confessions of a first time Yankee rooter

Posted By: TBob

My name is Bob and I am rooting for the Yankees. Hello, Bob. I have always been a Yankee hater and watched as the Evil Empire payrolled their way to victory in the 90's and as a little kid watched their stars roll up a staggering amount of championships. I have always empathized with the Red Sox as the perennial snake bitten unlucky underdogs, much as my ancestors rooted for the Dodgers but not this year.
Manny's Cadillac home run trots and hot dog antics (there's not enough mustard in the world to spread on him), Derek Lowe grabbing his crotch and gesturing to the heartbroken A's dugout after giving the old Italian gesture for F.U., Trot Nixon droning on about how Jesus Christ swung and hit the home run not him, ad nauseum, as if He really cared who won a baseball game, Pedro Martinez bragging that if Babe Ruth were alive today he would hit the fat b$@#&%$ in the "ass". These guys comprise the most classless team in the majors. I hope the Yankees kick their collective butts all over the place.
I know I will be rooting for the Cubbies if they make it to the W.S. against either the Red Sox or Yanks, but for now, I am a Yankee rooter.
There, felt better to get that confession off my chest.

Old 10-11-2003, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd (nolemmings)

Can I get another witness? Babe Ruth would have kicked Pedro's arse, taken the mound and/or stuck one in his ear (that's right Peter-you'd have to stand in the box yourself). Manny would not have had another official AB the rest of the game--nothing but HBPs.

It really is amazing how these guys talk and act, like they're America's darlings and they're so flippin good. They haven't seen a series in 17 years, nor have they won anything of importance.
Words truly fail me when it comes to describing how much I hate the Red Sox. The only team remotely as offensive to me is the Celtics.

Anyway---Go Yanks, take 'em down.

Old 10-11-2003, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

Todd I'm guessing you are from West of the Conn. River. I agree w/Bob that there are some major a-holes on this team as well as some god squaders, but I can not get it out of my blood I want the red sox to win, but expect the opposite. It's very sad and stressfull.

Old 10-11-2003, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Cornell

Bob-

Nicely reasoned argument, but we're talking about the Yankees. Evil cannot stand.

Old 10-11-2003, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Derek Jeter? Bernie Williams? Evil? Sorry, but these guys are what's good about baseball. They play hard every night, appreciate the fans, and have FUN playing the game. Yankee hater or not, these are the good guys. Be well Brian

PS If you take George out of the equation, Why do you hate the Yankees?

Old 10-11-2003, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Cornell

Our existence as Red Sox fans is predicated on the Red Sox winning (rarely, I know) and the Yankees losing (not nearly enough). You can't have one w/o the other.

I begrudgingly can stand most Yankees personnel (Clemens, O'Neill, Boggs, Zimmer & several others excepted); it's the Yankees entity I cannot stand.

Bill

Old 10-11-2003, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Sorry Bill
I didn't realize you were a tortured Sox fan. I'll give you a little slack. I just enjoy watching a team consistently step up and make the key plays to win games. Be well Brian

Old 10-11-2003, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: murcerfan

......and the Yankees already won the 2003 American League East pennant. The Sox should not even be playing.

Old 10-12-2003, 01:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

My questrion is what do the A's do during the series that invokes these fine upstanding players to throw these gestures at there dugout once they have beaten them. A J Pierzynski did the same thing last year, amybe the A's get everything they get.

As for the Yanks until they put there payroll in line with the rest of the league they will continue to be the "EVIL EMPIRE".

It's kind of like me competeing with Jay Miller in a OJ contest, I have 5, 3 nice ones and 2 trimmed ones, with very little resources (unless you count my credit cards). Whereas Jay seems to have the cream of the crop and his garbage is better than most of what I have. Jay's Evil OJ Empire

Go Twins, even if they are done.

Old 10-12-2003, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob D

...and I'm rooting for the Red Sox.

No defense of Manny. He's on another planet. Although Soriano has more that once done similar styliing after a HR.

Derick Lowe did NOT make an obscene gesture. A couple of crybaby A's, most noticably Tejada, whom I could easily lip read was mouthing most of the 7 naughty words after striking out, may have thought he did but that was probably sour grapes.

Trot Nixon made no such prounouncements on Jesus. All he said was that he thanked the lord for allowing him to do his best. No one on the Red Sox is claiming God has any rooting interest in the Red Sox. That should be obvious

Pedro might be a A@#$%%, just like Roger. That's probably what gives him an edge.

To be honest I have very little knowledge about the charactor of any of these players. A couple (Wakefield for instance) are known for doing good work in the community, but who knows?

I'd love Cobb, Ruth, Rose, Joe Jackson etc. on my team. But I'm not sure if I'd want any of them marrying my sister.

The Sox area pretty good, but flawed team, who've played well and had a knack for bouncing back from some pretty tough losses.

Even if I weren't a fan they would be an improvement over more of the Yankees in the W/S.

thanks

Bob

Old 10-12-2003, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Derick Lowe did NOT make an obscene gesture. A couple of crybaby A's, most noticably Tejada, whom I could easily lip read was mouthing most of the 7 naughty words after striking out, may have thought he did but that was probably sour grapes.>

Reporters at the game from both Boston and New York confirmed that Lowe grabbed his crotch and also made the Italian "F.U." sign to the A's dugout. Lowe later admitted he did these things and apologized for them, saying he was wrong to do them.

Trot Nixon made no such prounouncements on Jesus.>

On a post-game interview on television I heard and saw him say that it was Jesus Christ who swung the bat, not him. This was not 2nd hand, I saw and heard him say it, as did other friends of mine who couldn't believe it either.

Just today Pedro "The Punk" Martinez went intentionally head hunting on Garcia and made a gesture toward the Yankees dugout pointing to his head and smirking. Later when a scuffle broke out, The Punk threw 72 year old Don Zimmer to the ground and injured him. What courage! I guess there were no women or children around for him to hit. Ramirez later takes offense at a fast ball thrown by Clemens that didn't even come near to him, it was over the plate according to all 3 announcers and the replay confirmed it. "Mental case" Manny stalks toward the mound carrying his bat at Clemens. And then, to top it all off, a Boston Red Sox groundskeeper starts a fight in the Yankee bullpen.
These are not the Bosox of Williams or Lonborg or Yaz or Fisk or Rice or Lynn or Tiant or Lee. They are punks, jerks and hot dogs, granted with a few notable exceptions. I used to feel sorry for them because of The Curse. Now I hope it never ends.

Old 10-12-2003, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Hey Tbob thanks for the compliment.

I think what Dereck said was that he was not making an obscene gesture just his normal celebrating (he made the same gesture when he pitched a no hitter). He did say he was sorry if he offended anymone. That's quite a bit different from admiting that he gave the FU sign purposely. See the article below.

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/redSox.bg?articleid=126

I too saw the interview with Trott Nixon on NESN (unless we saw different interview). Although I don't have a transcript. I'm pretty sure that Trott was giving Jesus credit for calming him down and allowing him to do his best. He did not claim that Jesus made the swing. I'm pretty sure of this as it has always been anonnying to me when someone claims that Jesus take sides in a game. As a season ticket holder for 5+ years, I'd say Trot and Derek are two of the more decent guys on the team.

Is Pedro a jerk for hitting a batter - Yes. I think the only modern picther who is as big a jerk is Clemens. Just ask Mike Piazza.

Zim went after Pedro, he (Zim) overreacted, Pedro certainly started everything but he did not go after Zim. It was the other way around.

Can't disagree with you on Manny.

No comment on the Fenway groundskeeper. I think they are still sorting out what happened there.

There's no curse, just a continuous lack of good starting pitching.

Old 10-12-2003, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: RobertS

You are correct on the NESN one. On Fox, however, he said Jesus swung the bat. The redsox.com message board set this matter straight a few days ago.

Hope that helps...

Of course, other MLB message boards then began receiving posts asking when Jesus was going to be a free agent, how well he played the outfield, was he also responsible everytime Nixon swung and missed, etc., etc. And, of course, tons of folks then began yelling and screaming about blasphemy in response.

Everyone on the MLB boards should calm WAY down (they make our board seem very tame).

Old 10-12-2003, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

...not sure the Cubs can beat the Yankees...

Evil empire, yes, but it's pretty hard not to like Jeter's hitting, fielding, intelligence beyond the call of baseball (if there be such)...

Old 10-13-2003, 04:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: BobD

Robert S, thanks for the clrification.

BTW, the anonymous post was me.

thanks

Bob

Old 10-13-2003, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I saw the altercations on Fox television, but didn't interpret them anwhere near how you did, nor did any of the analysts I heard discussing it on the radio this morning. If I was a 72-yr old slob I would not be charging at someone younger and stronger - it was admirable that Pedro, instead of hitting him right in the nose, pushed him away forcefully. I'm also not surprised that Zimmer fell on his face.

I think the proper response to Pedro's action was exactly what Clemens did - a high hard one, just a touch inside, to the most volatile player on the opposition's team. Clemens had to do what he did, regardless of warnings he had gotten from the umpires - I'm just surprised it wasn't a few more inches inside (maybe it was meant to be).

Perhaps Pedro is a punk as you think, and Clemens is a pompous ass, as I believe - I just hope we get to see the two of them pitch again in this series.

On a lighter note, a Red Sox fan called in to the radio today and was getting all excited discussing the rivalry when the radio guy interrupted and said "a hammer and a nail is not a rivaly...a dog and a fire hydrant is not a rivalry..".

Old 10-13-2003, 12:09 PM
Administrator

I was at the college football game yesterday and missed the actual incident between Pedro and Zim, just seeing the clip when I got home and then watching the end of the game live. Zim DID charge Martinez and my dislike for Pedro the Punk colored what I thought had happened. Having watched the entire incident now, I see Zim was not entirely blameless. Martinez incited Zim but Zim shouldn't have gone off half-cocked. What you must remember is that Zimmer was once in a coma for almost 2 weeks and lost his speech for 6 weeks when he was beaned in a major league game. He has a metal plate in his head. The thought of someone bragging about being a head hunter set him off. I think we can all understand that, especially when you factor in his age and his affection for his players. Pedro is a punk but the Gerbil (as Bill lee used to call him) must carry some of the blame in this incident also for his over-reaction.
BTW, is it just me or does it seem that the American League playoff teams are much better than the National League teams? If you eliminate Prior and Wood, the NL teams seem colorless and very average. I will admit I am a lifelong Twins and AL fan, but still, watching the Cubs and Marlins play is like watching paint dry if Woods or Prior are not pitching.

Old 10-13-2003, 12:18 PM
Administrator

was uncalled for, and I can understand Zimmer getting upset. I was sort of playing devil's advocate, as I am not a big fan of Pedro's past behavior;however, it became a "lose/lose" situation for Pedro once Zimmer attacked - nothing Pedro could do could keep him from looking bad.

Old 10-13-2003, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brueso

I can understand Zim being livid at Pedro for gesturing like he intended to bean someone, but coaches are supposed to CALM players down, not get on the field and throw a punch at them. I like Zim, but I DON'T think Pedro was under some kind of duty to run away from him when Zim charged at him throwing a punch just because Zim is 72 years old. He pushed him away and Zim lost his footing. Zim's a tough old bird- he knows once he jumps in the ring and throws a punch, it's "Anything Can Happen" Day.

I think that whole game yesterday demonstrated how everyone on both teams is going INSANE from the pressure! But it's been fun to watch (particularly since my Mariners didn't even make it to the post, so I don't have the emotional involvement I would otherwise). I hope Boston wins out over the Yanks- how could anyone not want to see a Boston Cubs World Series? But I'm not sure Boston has enough tricks left in their toolbox to take two more games before Pedro can pitch again. In any case, I want the Cubs to be the final winners, so who knows.

Old 10-13-2003, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

I don't care if it's cute, lovable Don Zimmer, if a coach goes onto the field in order to punch a player he should be given a long suspension. If a NFL or NBA coach did the same they would be banned from the game for a long time.

Old 10-13-2003, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Go Yankees! Go Zimmer! Go Cubs! Go Marlins!

I don't disagree with David that Zim was wrong to go after Pedro, but I don't blame him for trying. But I'm biased, I don't like Pedro or Manny so seeing them get there Butts whipped would have been fine with me. While Clemens can also be a jerk, I thought he stayed in control, and pitched some incredible baseball.

How about Josh Beckett? I've always liked this guy, but what a dominating performance, and the game isn't even over yet. be well Brian

Old 10-14-2003, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

Thank you Princess LEEla

Old 10-14-2003, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

After Sosa's overreaction to Beckett's high, hard one, Beckett was not only unintimidated, but defiant.

He made seven total pitches after that, one of them hitting triple-digits on the JUGS gun and two others missing by only one mile per hour. All other Cub batters after that got fastballs from "only" 92 to 96 miles per hour.

The next time Sosa came up, his fastballs were from 94 to 98 miles per hour! Beckett was playing with Sammy! I loved it!

Old 10-14-2003, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Beckett was rated #1 and Prior #2. he is a heckuva pitcher and hopefully the Marlins will be able to hold on to him for a while. Can you imagine the bidding which would have ensued for he and Johann Santana had Bud Seligslug gotten his way and contracted the Marlins and Twins?

Old 10-14-2003, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scrarecrow

Does anyone remember Zimmers exact words when Clemens beamed Piazza? I think is was "that's just the way the game is played." or something alomg those lines. Torre said "that the ball got away from Roger and that it wasn't intentional." However, when Pedro hits Garcia, Torre said that Pedro has great control and he knew exactly what he was doing. It's too bad the both of them can't remember what they once said when they were the victims or maybe it's the bad taste of Crow that makes them forget. Still it's no excuse for what Pedro did. What do you think Piazza was thinking watching this mess unfold?

Old 10-14-2003, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Although I'm a Red Sox fan, I cringed in embarrassment when Ramirez slowly walked to 1st base after hitting the homer against the A's. Then he has the nerve to get upset at Clemens for throwing a high hard one that was barely if at all inside - Bob Gibson would have given him one in the ear if he had shown him up the way he did the Oakland pitcher. And after all that, Ramirez still backed off in fear at every succeeding Clemens pitch, not even coming close to reaching pitches waist-level on the outside corner. Ramirez needs tee-ball.

Old 10-14-2003, 02:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

<What do you think Piazza was thinking watching this mess unfold?>

I'm sure he was thinking he'd rather be on the Yankees or the Red Sox instead of the Mets!

Old 10-14-2003, 04:34 PM
Administrator

In a recent survey, only 13% of Americans said that baseball was their favorite sport...the poll was taken in the New York Mets dugout.