NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-09-2007, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Default Mastro Auctions Being Investigated by the FBI

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

According to the NY Daily News (no online link, sorry), the FBI is investigating Mastro for shill bidding in its auctions. Doug Allen is quoted as saying that they have not yet been contacted by the FBI. The allegations, in part, are that Mastro allows owners of lots to bid on their own items.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Very interesting--thanks for the info Jeff.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: P Spaeth

Gee that makes me feel good, that with all the bad stuff going on in the world the FBI is expending scarce resources looking into shill bidding in Mastro.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Depending on what is being done it's either bad or doesn't matter. That's quite a vague statement. We know some auction houses allow bidders to bid on their own stuff....as has been talked about before. They just have to pay the fees if they win. Did anyone hear that people think the PSA8 Wagner is trimmed?

Old 07-09-2007, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Simon

I have posted the Daily News article on my website.
www.richardsimonsports.com/hofauto2.htm
--

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 07-09-2007, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Jeff- was there any mention of the FBI looking into the designer packing tape?

Old 07-09-2007, 08:05 AM
Administrator

No, Barry, but at least we know how they can afford such expensive tape!

And unfortunately, corporate fraud is still something the FBI investigates. Thank goodness for that.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

This is probably the same FBI dept. that's investigating Barry Bonds steroid use. Mastro doesn't have to worry about anything happening soon.

Peter

Old 07-09-2007, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

the fbi has plenty of money in their budget to investigate crime at various levels. i guess cheating people out of money is not a crime?

Old 07-09-2007, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Please don't tell me that is what we are talking about here(the article I just looked at). That was discussed months ago because some knucklehead spent other's money in Mastro Auctions and supposedly got ran up. Very old news....and it's by our favorite reporter...O'keefe.....this is truly earth shattering stuff. Please tell me there is something else, Jeff? yawn....

ps...btw, I am not saying it's ok to run max bids up or shill...it's not and anyone that does it should be punished...

Old 07-09-2007, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

Not sure about this story. I know I tested this out a few auctions ago. I tried to bid on one of my items in a Mastro auction and the online site would not let me bid.

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 07-09-2007, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Davis

Has anyone ever tried to bid on one of their consigned items through the online bidding system? I guess this questions also goes for other auction houses.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Leon, it's not a yawn if the FBI is currently investigating Mastro. I assure you that Doug Allen and Mastro's lawyers don't consider a pending FBI investigation to be a yawn. Perhaps they'd like their customers to think so, but surely they do not.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:35 AM
Administrator

In virtually all online auctions, including my own, the auction house gives the names of all the consignors and the lots he consigned to the web designer. He plugs those names into each lot and if the consignor tries to bid, he gets a message that he is not eligible to do so. That's a simple mechanism built into any auction software.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joseph

One thing is for sure, this proves that Mastro has reached the big leagues in terms of the auction business, for we know that, generally, the FBI goes after the biggest fish in the pond.

And while shilling is commonplace at even the finest establishments, IT IS MUCH EASIER TO PROVE with seized phone and computer records.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:36 AM
Administrator

So Barry, do you think when Mastro was faced with the fork in the road in choosing software to prevent consignors from bidding on their own auctions or fancy Mastro-stamped packing tape, they chose the latter?

Old 07-09-2007, 08:46 AM
Administrator

I am not making light of the "allegations". This has been hashed out a long time ago.

Jeff- if someone alleges something it's not a fact, correct? Noe was sentenced almost a year ago. If something was turned up about Mastro, in a legal, negative, manner we would have heard about it. God knows there are enough on this board who would bring it up (which is fine)...Like I say this is old news....why are we still talking about it?...As far as I know nothing has been proven. I allege a lot of crap....so what? I heard the PSA 8 Wagner might be trimmed and those two hero's with the fake Wagner are still trying to play the race card....

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061120/BREAKINGNEWS/61120015

Old 07-09-2007, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Leon- you seem strangely protective when all this is is another thread about something newsworthy relating to the hobby. Maybe it's something, maybe it's nothing...but it's fair game to bring it up for discussion.

Jeff- that's a tough question (what was the question again?). Something about designer tape.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:06 AM
Administrator

We can talk about anything related to the board focus..and this certainly is. My question is why is this being brought up again after nothing was proven the first time? Are there folks with an axe to grind? Nah, couldn't be that. We can talk all we want to about stuff that happened a long time ago and was never proven. You seem to be missing my point. Not sure why?

Old 07-09-2007, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Barry, this is exactly why many people question Leon's objectivity and the other board was started. Mastro is major advertiser here and he poo-poos every negative thing brought about Mastro. It doesn't look good when he keeps claiming that the ad moeny has no impact and he acts this way.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:12 AM
Administrator

I didn't read the article and the first I am hearing of it is from Jeff's post. Old business or new, Jeff cited that the article is in today's paper. If it's old news, and much ado about nothing, it will go away. If on the other hand O'Keeffe does have an axe to grind with Mastro, then that's worth discussing, too. He is far from a saint, and if he is just stirring trouble then he'll get his comeuppance. I just wouldn't summarily dismiss any article until we learn more about it.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Leon, first off, the fact that the FBI is continuing their investigation of Mastro does not for a second suggest that "nothing has come to light." It suggests that they do not yet believe that there is "nothing" to the allegations. Yet. As a defense lawyer, I agree that the mere investigation of Mastro means nothing. As someone who buys Mastro cards, however, it scares the bejesus out of me.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:27 AM
Administrator

If people don't trust mastro why do they keep bidding in his auctions?

Old 07-09-2007, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Same reason Willie Sutton robbed banks: that's where the cards are.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:29 AM
Administrator

They have good stuff. In this hobby, stuff trumps everything else.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I'm surprised that this link didn't get more play in this chatroom.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=8654

It's not so much that it's about a game used item as it is who the perpetrators are in this case. How much can we trust Mastro with stuff like this going on?

Old 07-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Administrator

There are many sources of cards. That answer does not impress me. If you really think he is running you up, or altering cards in ways that are unacceptable to you, or his fees are excessive, the answer is simple: don't bid.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Jay,

That was my first thought as soon as I saw Leon's comment--there he goes again sticking up for an advertiser.

Jim

Old 07-09-2007, 09:38 AM
Administrator

It's not in "today's" paper. That is a very old article. Find a yr old paper and start reading it and have fun.

Jeff- show me something within the last 2 months that says the investigation is ongoing or prove it. Period. All I have seen is a lame old article by someone we know has an axe to grind. Show me something new....or prove it's ongoing. Then you will have something.

Jay B- Mastro is one advertiser out of about 10-12...I wouldn't call them a major advertiser. I very well might speak with Doug about NOT advertising anymore so there is no perception of my protecting them. They are a good company with good people. I hate to see negative comments about folks I like, made unjustly. Show me where I have ever protected them? Same old story. You can say anything you want to per the forum rules..... You have made so many negative comments about myself and Mastro that I really should harbor ill feelings about you...but I don't. I think you mean well but some of your statements hold no merit...

thanks
leon

Old 07-09-2007, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Leon, have you read that link that I just posted? Something funny is going on at Mastro for sure.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:44 AM
Administrator

I have read it...I don't like what I see either...but I also don't know the whole story. I am not into memorabilia at all. Could a face mask have a different cage thingy up front and still be valuable? I would think anything different than original has to be noted....and would affect the price. What was the final outcome of that story?

Old 07-09-2007, 09:44 AM
Administrator

If there were no advertising on the board, I could care less what your opinion about Mastro might be. The fact of the matter is, every time something negative is sad about Mastro, you immediately jump to their defense. This does not look good in any way, shape or form. As long as you continue to accept ads, you will be open to criticism for posts you make in defense of advertisers, no matter how correct the post may be, and your motives suspect.

I'm pretty sure you knew that going in, but there are times like this when you are better off just not saying anything at all.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

The responses to this are just amazing from Peter and Leon.

Peter you can't be serious about your original response. Do you enjoy being ripped off or have money taken from you? Mastro is a major auction house not your local auctioneer. If you enjoy getting ripped off just send me $100 a month and I will send you a tootsie roll in return. YOur statement is just amazing remind me never to have dealings with you in the future.

As far as Leon, you are digging yourself a bigger hole that you started when the advertising started, why can't you just let the thread transpire instead of making the comments that you have you have in the thread with no other knowledge than what Jeff has has brought up an article printed today in a newspaper.

Lee

Old 07-09-2007, 09:48 AM
Administrator

You are probably correct but I can't stand it when friends are maligned unfairly. I can't defend a hypothetical or a perception either. I can only defend the facts. The fact is I have never protected an advertiser in any way shape or form. Show me otherwise. Thanks again for you participation....

Old 07-09-2007, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Yeah Lee actually I am serious. If I don't like a product, I don't buy it. These are freaking baseball cards, not necessities. If you are so convinced Mastro is ripping you off, or altering cards, or whatever, do what Lenin said and vote with your feet. EDITED TO ADD That doesn't mean I condone shilling, in case you can't appreciate the difference. My point is just that I think it is ridiculous for people who don't trust Mastro to keep throwing money at him and then bitching about it.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Jay and Jim- I do not believe that Leon sticks up for advertisers. He may support a friend, as I or anyone else would do. But he's made it very clear that advertisers on the board are subject to the same scrutiny as anyone else, and I know he means that sincerely.

And my comment made no reference to his supporting an advertiser; I was just curious why he responded the way he did.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Peter,

I'm surprised at you. There has got to be a better answer than just not to bid. Somewhere down there there has to be an obligation to expose what is being done for the good of the hobby.

Jim

Old 07-09-2007, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Show me what newspaper it was printed in today?

Old 07-09-2007, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Jim: To clarify, I am not condoning fraud. You know me better than that. My point is that if you genuinely believe someone is dishonest, why deal with them?

Old 07-09-2007, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Peter, if that is your stance you need to change your original response to the thread. I fully agree about your statement that if you feel there are wrong at Mastro not to bid or consign, but to be quite about them does not solve the overall situation at hand with Mastro. Does this mean I won't get my $100 a month for the tootsie rolls?

Leon, Whether the news is new or old should it just be swept under the rug if there is an on going investigation? I am responding more to your and Peter's responses than to the theme of the Thread (semi-hijack).

Lee

Old 07-09-2007, 10:00 AM
Administrator

That's all fine and good to stand up for a friend, but when that friend becomes an advertiser, they are no longer a friend in the eyes of the board. They are an advertiser. Without the ads, he is standing up for a friend/business he likes. With the ads, he is defending an advertiser and you can't do that if you are claiming to not let advertisers influence you.

Jay

Old 07-09-2007, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Just admit you made a mistake and move on....If there is an ongoing investigation I certainly want to know about it. So far it's an allegation that there is one ongoing.....Can anyone prove it? Even if there is an ongoing investigation so what? My guess is that a lot of things get investigated. "Guilty" is really what I want to know about....

Old 07-09-2007, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

First - I don't take any sides. I think I'm just answering a question asked by Leon that maybe wasn't clear. This was posted in today, Sunday July 8th's, NY Daily News. If you look at the article posted by Richard on his website, you will see the date stamp of the newspaper on the right hand side, all the way down at the bottom.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:07 AM
Administrator

I wouldn't necessarily say the way you think is the way the board thinks. Some do some don't....Mastro folks are friends and they are advertisers. Big deal...again, show me where I have ever protected them? I will continue to stick up for friends whether they are advertisers or not. If it's shown they did something wrong then I will readily admit that too. So far it's a lot of hot air.....show me some proof Jay.....c'mon ....Or are you going to keep going back to perception?...which of course I can't disprove....

Old 07-09-2007, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

I wonder (only speculation) if the article's timing has anything to do with a certain someone's book coming out recently and looking for a little publicity.

Joshua

Old 07-09-2007, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Charlie Barokas

Someone please provide a link to the story from the NYDAILY website? I cannot find the story. Is this story a year old? The year is left off in the article provided and nothing recent is mentioned in the article?

Charlie

Old 07-09-2007, 10:14 AM
Administrator

As the great line from Ralph McTell's song Streets of London goes, Yesterday's paper telling yesterday's news.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:15 AM
Administrator

I just went to the website and don't see the article. Can you show me where it is on their website? I looked and looked too...but maybe I missed it. It certainly didn't jump out at me...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/index.html

Old 07-09-2007, 10:17 AM
Administrator

come on Leon, you are smarter than that. All have to do is give the perception that you are protecting an advertiser and your credibility is hurt. You coming on here and trying to downplay everything negative about Mastro speaks volumes. You may think that you are defending a friend, but as long as the Mastro banner continues to fly here, you are defending an advertiser. There is no denying that.

If you want to defend Mastro here, then maybe your idea is best and that you ask them not advertise anymore. That way, you can defend them to your heart's content and no one can claim you are defending or downplaying an issue about Mastro because they advertise here.

Jay

Old 07-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Leon and others - I don't think the article is available in online form (sort of like the Wagner photo article a few weeks back). I can't find it on the website, either. You have to buy the paper. Again, for the record, I'm taking no sides here...