NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 02-19-2014, 09:44 AM
Greg

Default babe ruth called shot

Did babe Ruth call his shot? i think the baseball fan in me wants to belive it but not sure?

What do you think?

Sorry if this was brought up before - new to the forum
Old 02-20-2014, 06:09 PM
Rick

I believe it was WGN TV in Chicago that had a program of some old found video of Ruth making a gesture that could be interpreted that way but was probably more of a point towards the pitcher. If I recall, it was almost a sweeping motion or flick of his arm. There had been considerable bench jockeying going on at the time and he may have been reacting to that. I personally believe it wasn't anything like an arm extended pointing of his index finger towards the fence. Root would have knocked him on his behind with a high inside pitch if he did imho.

( I wonder if youtube has the video?)

Last edited by RTK; 02-20-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:25 PM

I don't think Root would have given Ruth a free base w/an 0-2 count and Lou Gehrig on deck in a tie WS game. I know Root said that he would have plunked him but IMO it was just bluster.

Edited to add that a brushback pitch would certainly have been a possibility which upon a second reading looks like what Rick meant.

Last edited by howard38; 02-20-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Ruth himself denied it. I think he was just gesturing at the pitcher but it took on a life of its own because it was such an appealing story.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:36 PM
Mark

There is a film of the event. To me it looks like Ruth is pointing at the dugout, but it is not conclusive.

I saw a talk by Roger Snell, author of "Root for the Cubs." Root insisted until his dying day that if Ruth had pointed to the outfield, he would have thrown the next pitch at his head.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:31 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkEX0eb2eBo
Old 02-22-2014, 07:48 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarlowe1 View Post
There is a film of the event. To me it looks like Ruth is pointing at the dugout, but it is not conclusive.
Do his ears provide a clue?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:02 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post
I believe it was WGN TV in Chicago that had a program of some old found video of Ruth making a gesture that could be interpreted that way but was probably more of a point towards the pitcher. If I recall, it was almost a sweeping motion or flick of his arm. There had been considerable bench jockeying going on at the time and he may have been reacting to that. I personally believe it wasn't anything like an arm extended pointing of his index finger towards the fence. Root would have knocked him on his behind with a high inside pitch if he did imho.

( I wonder if youtube has the video?)
Its on youtube, and a few other sites
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:05 PM
D.an Jackso.n

Robert Creamer goes into much detail in his book about Ruth. Bottom line is no one knows. Babe himself never said one way or the other. So he probably didn't but then didn't deny it since it made a great story.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:20 PM
Buddy Wi11:rich
Banned

Either way it's a great story that will ALWAYS be a part of baseball lore....
Old 03-04-2014, 11:54 AM
Bill Boyd

Only one sports writer wrote an article, in his evening edition newspaper, that Babe Ruth called his shot. That writer was Joe Williams. A well respected sports writer of his time, and the other sport writers followed suit the next day, after reading Williams article, and the legend grew from there. His article sort of created the legend. Here is a photo of Joe Williams interviewing Ruth, just a couple of months prior to the "called shot".

.Ruth and Joe Williams.jpg
Old 03-21-2014, 05:00 PM
ΛLβΞℜ₮

I know Charlie Roots sister in-law.. I have spoken to her on many occasions. She told me, Ruth NEVER called the shot! Charlie believed he was instructing the team or some other gesture besides calling the shot.

Albert
Old 03-27-2014, 01:52 AM
Bill Boyd

Albert,
I agree, the books I have read about Ruth all state that Ruth first said no, he did not do that, but shortly afterwards, he changed his story. And in all the books, they still dwell on the fiction rather than then the fact. The fiction sold more newspapers and books.
But in a way, Root goes down in history, more famous then he would have if the writers wrote the fact.