NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-09-2022, 05:50 AM
Tony. Biviano

Default Postage Rates Going Up

New postage rates as of 7/10/22. Never stops.
Old 07-09-2022, 06:56 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammb View Post
New postage rates as of 7/10/22. Never stops.
very true. Luckily outside of shipping and receiving of cards most of my mail is done electronically so all I really get is junk mail and some great catalogs from auction houses. I probably use the regular mail less then 3 to 4 times a year anymore

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 07-09-2022, 07:30 AM

I'll update on my shipping when that happens.
Old 07-09-2022, 07:30 AM
Rob

Has anyone done a comparison of cost between USPS and UPS? Wondering if there's a size/weight at witch UPS becomes the better option.

Also, anyone using Pirateship? Would like to hear how that's going.

Last edited by Fballguy; 07-09-2022 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-09-2022, 07:47 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Has anyone done a comparison of cost between USPS and UPS? Wondering if there's a size/weight at witch UPS becomes the better option.

Usually more about distance. Once we get west of about Illinois (leaving from PA) UPS is better. Especially large or heavy packages are cheaper UPS also but 5 - 10 lb normal sized packages on the east coast USPS is much better.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-09-2022, 07:55 AM

Default What About Pricier $ cards ?

[QUOTE=Fballguy;2240835]Has anyone done a comparison of cost between USPS and UPS? Wondering if there's a size/weight at witch UPS becomes the better option.

... Has anyone on here ever had to deal with an expensive lost/damaged card sent via U P S ? or FedEx ? Are they okay in that hopefully rare situation ?..

Old 07-09-2022, 08:19 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

[QUOTE=MikeGarcia;2240845]
Quote:

... Has anyone on here ever had to deal with an expensive lost/damaged card sent via U P S ? or FedEx ? Are they okay in that hopefully rare situation ?..

Never personally had to deal with it, but you're unlikely to get anywhere with Fedex on a high value item. Fedex specifically limits their liability to $1k for sports cards. From the Fedex Service Guide: "F. Shipments (packages or freight) containing all or part of the following items are limited to a maximum declared value of US$1,000:...11. Collector’s items such as coins, stamps, sports cards, souvenirs, and memorabilia.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 07-09-2022, 08:25 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Usually more about distance. Once we get west of about Illinois (leaving from PA) UPS is better. Especially large or heavy packages are cheaper UPS also but 5 - 10 lb normal sized packages on the east coast USPS is much better.
I see...I think with USPS's new surcharges based on size, it's time to switch to UPS. I'll give them a try and see how it goes. If it's cheaper, I can't see a downside because there's no way their service (particularly customer service) can be worse than the USPS. I'm on a first name basis with my post master because of their incompetence.
Old 07-09-2022, 08:31 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
I see...I think with USPS's new surcharges based on size, it's time to switch to UPS. I'll give them a try and see how it goes. If it's cheaper, I can't see a downside because there's no way their service (particularly customer service) can be worse than the USPS. I'm on a first name basis with my post master because of their incompetence.
You must have a particularly bad local post office. My experiences with USPS (in various locations) have been far better overall than with UPS (meh) and FedEx (awful).
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 07-09-2022, 08:36 AM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
You must have a particularly bad local post office. My experiences with USPS (in various locations) have been far better overall than with UPS (meh) and FedEx (awful).
+1

For me, it has been:

Post Office > UPS > yard work > dental surgery > FedEx

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 07-09-2022, 09:27 AM
octavio ranzola

Default Hi tony

I ship for free does not affect me

Last edited by rjackson44; 07-09-2022 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-09-2022, 09:59 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
Yes...Calling it a train wreck would be an insult to train wrecks. If I could I would fire everyone in it and start over. I have a direct line to the bosses there now and the excuses and incompetence I hear from them really make me wonder if they should be trusted with mail.

In the past two months:

Left a $500 pennant sitting on a mailbox cluster in the wrong neighborhood. Luckily an honest resident found it and delivered it to me later that night.

A very rare Cowboys pennant just disappeared and never made it to me.

Left two packages in our parcel bin with the bin door not just unlocked but wide open.

Folded a pennant that was shipped flat to make it fit in my mailbox permanently damaging it.

Left an extremely rare pennant at the wrong house (but at least one in my neighborhood)

Routinely updates tracking with fake reasons why packages couldn't be delivered. Such as this one from Tuesday.
Attached Images
File Type: png USPS.png (125.2 KB, 287 views)
Old 07-09-2022, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Yes...Calling it a train wreck would be an insult to train wrecks. If I could I would fire everyone in it and start over. I have a direct line to the bosses there now and the excuses and incompetence I hear from them really make me wonder if they should be trusted with mail.

In the past two months:

Left a $500 pennant sitting on a mailbox cluster in the wrong neighborhood. Luckily an honest resident found it and delivered it to me later that night.

Left two packages in our parcel bin with the bin door not just unlocked but wide open.

Folded a pennant that was shipped flat to make it fit in my mailbox permanently damaging it.

Left an extremely rare pennant at the wrong house (but at least one in my neighborhood)

Routinely updates tracking with fake reasons why packages couldn't be delivered. Such as this one from Tuesday.
Bobby that is crazy! I've been lucky that I have extremely competent postal delivery people.

It appears you collect pennants. Not to change the thread, but could you help me identify a pennant? I purchased some items from an auction of Bob Fellars estate auction. In it was the attached pennant. I know nothing about them, and it appears this one has been cut off at the end. It was suppose to have come from his desk drawer, but who knows. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 122000161_3_x.jpg (165.2 KB, 278 views)
Old 07-09-2022, 10:54 AM
Bob Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
+1

For me, it has been:

Post Office > UPS > yard work > dental surgery > FedEx
LOL In my book you’re ranking UPS too high. I’d put them really close to dental surgery. Agree that Fed Ex is terrible.
Old 07-09-2022, 10:55 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

[QUOTE=MikeGarcia;2240845]
Quote:

I have had iron stadium seat standards cracked once or twice when shipped via Fedex and they paid right away, zero hassle. The claim was around $100 plus reimbursement for the shipping cost. I think Fedex is really easy to deal with all around.
Old 07-09-2022, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commishbob View Post
LOL In my book you’re ranking UPS too high. I’d put them really close to dental surgery. Agree that Fed Ex is terrible.
So we all agree "yard work" is the clear winner. Maybe we should only sell/trade/buy within driving range of our lawn tractors.
Old 07-09-2022, 12:24 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
Bobby that is crazy! I've been lucky that I have extremely competent postal delivery people.

It appears you collect pennants. Not to change the thread, but could you help me identify a pennant? I purchased some items from an auction of Bob Fellars estate auction. In it was the attached pennant. I know nothing about them, and it appears this one has been cut off at the end. It was suppose to have come from his desk drawer, but who knows. Thanks in advance.
Yes pennants are the focus of my collection. Unfortunately, I think the only thing significant about your pennant is that Bob Feller owned it. It looks like the remnants of relatively modern Indians pennant. Once you get into the mid to late 70s, there not a lot of value in pennants. Since modern pennants aren't really my thing, maybe someone else here knows more about this one.
Old 07-09-2022, 01:24 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

To be clear, there is a huge difference between FedEx and FedEx Ground, Ground are all independent contractors many of which couldn't deliver the Sun at sunrise. I've shipped all of my consignments FedEx and had no troubles, I would never use Ground.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 07-09-2022, 03:14 PM
Kevin
Kev.in Th.omas

Default Pirateship

Quote:

I have used Pirateship for the past couple years...absolutely love this service! It's basically just a postage wholesaler site that passes along bulk commercial pricing to all users with no extra fees or surcharges for the service. Their customer service for questions or issues is probably the best I've ever encountered. They wholesale both USPS and UPS rates...when you put in the details of your package (size, weight, zip code) they calculate and show you your best rate options from all available options.

I don't send too many large packages, but as an example, I send and receive a lot of 6x9 bubble mailers that weigh around 3 ounces. USPS retail is $4.60 at the counter for that package. Pirateship label cost $3.39 for the same package. (This is as of July 9th...not sure how the July 10th postage rate increase will affect that rate)

Highly recommend Pirateship.com
Old 07-09-2022, 03:27 PM
Kevin
Kev.in Th.omas

Quote:

In the past two months:

Your issues appear to be due to a very poor/inept/lazy mail carrier on your route. I rented a PO Box many years ago and have every package that comes by USPS sent to that addy. There are Parcel Lockers at my Post Office where they put larger packages and leave a key in my PO Box. Yes, it means trips to the Post Office to pick up, and occasionally (not often) having to wait in line to pick up packages that don't fit in the PO Box or the lockers, but the security of the packages and peace of mind are well worth the hassle to me. If ever there was a case for somebody spending a little extra to avoid the headaches you describe, it is you.
Old 07-09-2022, 08:17 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
To be clear, there is a huge difference between FedEx and FedEx Ground, Ground are all independent contractors many of which couldn't deliver the Sun at sunrise. I've shipped all of my consignments FedEx and had no troubles, I would never use Ground.
That information is quite helpful; thank you.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 07-10-2022, 04:56 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Not happy about another USPS price increase. I have been using USPS for over 19 years. I have shipped over 100,000 packages and every one has arrived at their location.
I would never use any other service.
Recently had a new consignor send me a box via Fedex. There was at least $15,000 worth of cards in it. On the expected day of delivery, I stayed home all day waiting for the package. Finally, received notification that package has arrived. Not sure why they didn't ring my bell but I immediately went to my front porch. There was no package but I saw the Fedex truck driving away.
I jumped in my car to see if the package was left somewhere else. Luckily, I found it sitting on my neighbor's porch.
There have been many instances where both UPS & Fedex said that a package would be delivered between a certain time frame, but package would not show up till next day.
So, with all of the price increases, USPS is still my favorite.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 07-10-2022, 07:53 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: Postage Rates Going Up

+1 on the PO Box. I've had mine for more than 35 years. Never a single delivery problem. I neither ship or receive UPS or Fedex. They don't give a damn about your package and won't insure it.
Old 07-10-2022, 08:32 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
Not happy about another USPS price increase. I have been using USPS for over 19 years. I have shipped over 100,000 packages and every one has arrived at their location.
I would never use any other service.
Recently had a new consignor send me a box via Fedex. There was at least $15,000 worth of cards in it. On the expected day of delivery, I stayed home all day waiting for the package. Finally, received notification that package has arrived. Not sure why they didn't ring my bell but I immediately went to my front porch. There was no package but I saw the Fedex truck driving away.
I jumped in my car to see if the package was left somewhere else. Luckily, I found it sitting on my neighbor's porch.
There have been many instances where both UPS & Fedex said that a package would be delivered between a certain time frame, but package would not show up till next day.
So, with all of the price increases, USPS is still my favorite.
I would concur most likely if I lived anywhere else in the country. When I lived in CT my post office was right on Bradley International Airport property. It not only ran like a top, things got where they needed to go quickly. Used them for 10 years and never had a single incident. And I get they're only part of the delivery story but they lived up to their end of the bargain time and time again. Based on my experience, postal service seems to have degraded everywhere over the last few years. But I'm not sure my local PO would be much better even during the best of times.
Old 07-10-2022, 08:35 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneen View Post
Your issues appear to be due to a very poor/inept/lazy mail carrier on your route. I rented a PO Box many years ago and have every package that comes by USPS sent to that addy. There are Parcel Lockers at my Post Office where they put larger packages and leave a key in my PO Box. Yes, it means trips to the Post Office to pick up, and occasionally (not often) having to wait in line to pick up packages that don't fit in the PO Box or the lockers, but the security of the packages and peace of mind are well worth the hassle to me. If ever there was a case for somebody spending a little extra to avoid the headaches you describe, it is you.
I considered that but because my packages are often large, 30"-35" long I fear they'd be left in a corner somewhere and I wouldn't trust that they'd still be there when I went to pick them up.
Old 07-10-2022, 08:41 AM

All of the complaints of poor experiences described in this thread serve to reinforce the fact that the safest option for domestic shipments is always Registered Mail. Yes, it's slower, but there's nothing anywhere near as secure.
Old 07-10-2022, 10:56 AM
Chase

USPS does a great job and it still remains the most affordable method for shipping. They have been very reliable for me as well.

Everything else is going up so why not postage too?
Old 07-10-2022, 11:24 AM
qualitycards

Not sure how much packages will increase, but the standard postage stamp is going from .58 cents to .60 cents
Not much of an increase, so its easy to handle