NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-02-2014, 11:03 AM
Sc0tt Greb3nstein

Default Rickwood Field Auction

I stumbled across this via my scrolling news service this morning and thought some folks might be interested. Apologies if this has already been discussed. Scott

'Mother lode' of baseball memorabilia, historical records selling at auction
Tue Dec 02 09:40:00 2014 EDT
BIRMINGHAM, Ala., Dec. 2, 2014 /PRNewswire via COMTEX News Network/ --

The history of the nation's oldest active baseball park is in many ways the history of American baseball. Yet, much of the history of Birmingham's Rickwood Field has been hidden from the eyes of historians and biographers, because it was locked away in the basement of Glynn West, longtime manager of the Birmingham Barons and Birmingham A's.

Now, the collection has been discovered and catalogued, and it is being sold in an online auction by West's daughter, Candy West. It includes such memorabilia as Reggie Jackson's cleats, scores of autographed balls, bats and jerseys, and other items.

Perhaps more importantly, it includes detailed documents providing a game-by-game record of ledgers, attendance and payouts, mapping out the storied history of Rickwood and the teams that played there, according to Mike Fisher, president of Redfield Auction Gallery, which is selling the collection at redfieldauctiongallery.com.

"This is a real mother lode of artifacts and records that will be of use not only to baseball fans, but to historians, biographers and museums," said Fisher. "The history of Rickwood is in many ways the history of American baseball -- not only of the many Hall of Fame players who came through, but also of the Birmingham Black Barons, the Negro League and the desegregation of the minor leagues in 1964."Candy West, who still lives in the Birmingham area, said she decided to auction the items to ensure that they are preserved. "My father wasn't really a collector, and neither am I, and I wanted to make sure these get in the hands of people and institutions who will fully appreciate them and make them available to students of the history of the game, Rickwood Park and the city," she said.

"It's hard to think of a major league star who didn't play at Rickwood on his way to the majors or in the Negro League. We have a lot of balls and other items signed by such greats as Reggie Jackson, Dizzy Dean, Vida Blue and Catfish Hunter. Even Satchel Paige pitched at Rickwood Field in an exhibition game that drew 8,318," she said. "My father had a remarkable career, most of it as general manager for the Barons and A's. At one point, he was even offered the job of managing the Oakland team, but he chose to stay in Birmingham and put his family first," she said. The collection is available for inspection from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday at Redfield Auction Gallery, 1044 Sutton Bridge Road, Rainbow City, Alabama. Individuals seeking additional information may visit www.redfieldauctiongallery.com or call 256-442-4007. Redfield Auction Gallery, based in Gadsden, Alabama, is a full-service auction firm using online and live auctions to sell estates, personal property and other assets.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:48 AM
Nick C

Thanks for the info. I registered and I will probably look to bid on a couple of lots.

-Nick
Old 12-03-2014, 10:35 AM
Barry Arnold

Default auction

rainbow city... pot of gold.
I hope so.
best,
barry
Old 12-03-2014, 11:46 AM

Default A few stamps?

It looks like a few of the 70s A's championship autographed balls are stamped, but already have bids of $250+.

Someone who knows something about bats will do quite well.

Tom
Old 12-03-2014, 05:23 PM
Mike Mattsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATSR View Post

Tom
As would someone who knows Negro League autographs.

Thanks OP for posting the link. I've registered and placed a bid.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:10 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATSR View Post
It looks like a few of the 70s A's championship autographed balls are stamped, but already have bids of $250+.

Tom
I looked but there's no big names plus many look to show little use.