NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 02-20-2015, 10:32 AM
Andrew

Default Anyone Else Collecting a 1987 Topps Autographed Set?

Bidding on ebay the last few weeks has been fast and furious for signed 1987 Topps baseball cards. I was wondering if anyone else on this forum is putting together a signed 1987 Topps set?
I am currently +450 cards in. In my bidding haste I have accumulated about 20-30 doubles that I would be willing to trade if there is anyone else on the road to 784.

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2015, 06:42 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

How will you deal with the Ricky Wright situation?
Old 02-21-2015, 11:10 AM
Andrew

Hence the 784. 792 minus the 7 checklists and Ricky Wright
Old 02-21-2015, 12:14 PM
D@vid L@dd

Randy Myers is awful tough as well...
Old 02-21-2015, 01:42 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBatBoy View Post
Roger that
Old 02-23-2015, 11:58 AM
Andrew

I have secured Randy Myers (it helps I live in his hometown). In my perception Dick Howser will likely be the most difficult and expensive card in the set. I have yet to see one available in nearly a year of searching.
I am also completing several of the subsets the glossy all-star cards (from rack packs) and the all star rookie cards (from cello packs). The all star rookies seem to be the more difficult of the two.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:18 PM
Al

I also heard that terry Forster of the angels is almost impossible to find.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:45 PM
C@rl Greenfeld

Howser is tough but out there. I have seen at least 6. I sold one on ebay a few months ago and have one with my complete signed set. Good luck. It is a great set, but obviously very popular with autograph set collectors

Last edited by pooh528; 02-23-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:23 PM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh528 View Post
Howser is tough but out there. I have seen at least 6. I sold one on ebay a few months ago and have one with my complete signed set. Good luck. It is a great set, but obviously very popular with autograph set collectors
How did you land a signed Howser? Any other cards especially difficult to find? Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:54 PM
Matthew

Quote:
What's the deal with Ricky Wright?

Cool challenge, by the way. '87 Topps was my first as a youngster
Old 02-23-2015, 05:19 PM
Jason Presley

Seems like Ricky Wright may be the new Mike Marshall. Maybe Ricky will cave when people finally offer him a few hundred dollars for his sig.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:30 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Howser was around in Spring Training of 1987 so those cards signed, while still tough to find, aren't as rare as you'd expect.

Some of the tougher cards are the aforementioned Ricky Wright and Terry Forster, along with a few Latin guys who played very briefly after the set was issued. Juan Espino is tough, Al Pulido even tougher. Roy Lee Jackson is also hard to find as he was out of baseball when the card was issued and for a long time (maybe still) was unresponsive TTM.

Randy Myers was actually a very willing signer early in his career, which is good for 87T collectors as that was his rookie. He was flaky though, and would only sign current year cards, and dated them all with M/Y. In 1988 he started just signing the number for the month (4 for April for example), I guess because he figured the year was implied due to his self-imposed rules. When he was traded to the Reds, his policy became current year, current TEAM cards only. Now that he's retired, I've heard he signs all years of cards again, but still dates them. I believe at his last paid signing there were certain teams he would not sign. I think it was Orioles cards he wouldn't sign but I don't recall exactly. He is VERY infrequent with his appearances though (usually just FanFests) and does not sign TTM.

From the Traded set, Alan Wiggins is very difficult, as he was a tough in-person signer to begin with and died of AIDS in 1989. He was out of baseball and living a somewhat transient lifestyle by the time that card was issued.

Last edited by dgo71; 02-23-2015 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:07 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaClyde View Post
Seems like Ricky Wright may be the new Mike Marshall. Maybe Ricky will cave when people finally offer him a few hundred dollars for his sig.
I have a Ricky Wright but it is on a photo not a card.

Tom C
Old 02-24-2015, 07:18 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

He just won't sign that card

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 02-24-2015, 10:57 AM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgo71 View Post
Howser was around in Spring Training of 1987 so those cards signed, while still tough to find, aren't as rare as you'd expect.

Some of the tougher cards are the aforementioned Ricky Wright and Terry Forster, along with a few Latin guys who played very briefly after the set was issued. Juan Espino is tough, Al Pulido even tougher. Roy Lee Jackson is also hard to find as he was out of baseball when the card was issued and for a long time (maybe still) was unresponsive TTM.

Randy Myers was actually a very willing signer early in his career, which is good for 87T collectors as that was his rookie. He was flaky though, and would only sign current year cards, and dated them all with M/Y. In 1988 he started just signing the number for the month (4 for April for example), I guess because he figured the year was implied due to his self-imposed rules. When he was traded to the Reds, his policy became current year, current TEAM cards only. Now that he's retired, I've heard he signs all years of cards again, but still dates them. I believe at his last paid signing there were certain teams he would not sign. I think it was Orioles cards he wouldn't sign but I don't recall exactly. He is VERY infrequent with his appearances though (usually just FanFests) and does not sign TTM.

From the Traded set, Alan Wiggins is very difficult, as he was a tough in-person signer to begin with and died of AIDS in 1989. He was out of baseball and living a somewhat transient lifestyle by the time that card was issued.
I have an Espino. I have heard that Wiggins was pretty much off the grid when the Traded set came out, one of the reasons I am not even attempting that. A Bill Caudill went for $41 last night on ebay is he a tough signature? I have yet to see a Pulido or a Roy Lee Jackson. I have my eye on a Mel Hall right now (currently in prison) for a decent price. Donnie Moore is another of the deceased players that seems to command a high price.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:03 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
I have an Espino. I have heard that Wiggins was pretty much off the grid when the Traded set came out, one of the reasons I am not even attempting that. A Bill Caudill went for $41 last night on ebay is he a tough signature? I have yet to see a Pulido or a Roy Lee Jackson. I have my eye on a Mel Hall right now (currently in prison) for a decent price. Donnie Moore is another of the deceased players that seems to command a high price.
Caudill doesn't sign TTM so I think he has the perception of being tough. In person, he's pretty good about signing. He's an agent now and works for Scott Boras, so he's always around wherever top amateur talent is showcasing. Think Perfect Game, Under Armour game, Team USA, etc. If you're ever near one of those events, Caudill is likely to be in attendance.

Forgot about old Mel Hall. Yeah, he's in for life if I'm not mistaken, and he was never overly easy to begin with. I can see his cards carrying a decent price tag for set collectors.

Moore died in 1989 and was kind of a surly signer the last couple years after never really getting over the 1986 AL Playoff game that he blew. I think the price of his card is simply from the popularity of the set, his other cards are usually more reasonable, unless it's a late issue 1988 or 1989 card.

I actually have an in-person Pulido that I would be willing to part with. I have a friend whose wife is from Mexico, and he travels there 2-3 times a year for baseball events and games. He went to a Mexican MLB Alumni event a month or two ago that a ton of former MLB players attended and got me a couple of Pulido's 87T signed, along with some other guys who have been MIA for years. If you're interested, PM me with your email address and I can send you a scan.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:14 PM
N@te

Wiggins died in '91, but still...

A portion of my collection on GUA:

https://gameusedauthority.com/all-co...member_id=pUnl
Old 02-24-2015, 09:35 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnVme7 View Post
Wiggins died in '91, but still...
Oops, you're right!
Old 02-25-2015, 02:08 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

ANYONE have an extra

659. Aurelio Lopez

Thanks in advance

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 02-25-2015, 08:52 PM
Curt

Any chance you could help on a Noe Munoz?

Quote:
Caudill doesn't sign TTM so I think he has the perception of being tough. In person, he's pretty good about signing. He's an agent now and works for Scott Boras, so he's always around wherever top amateur talent is showcasing. Think Perfect Game, Under Armour game, Team USA, etc. If you're ever near one of those events, Caudill is likely to be in attendance.

Forgot about old Mel Hall. Yeah, he's in for life if I'm not mistaken, and he was never overly easy to begin with. I can see his cards carrying a decent price tag for set collectors.

Moore died in 1989 and was kind of a surly signer the last couple years after never really getting over the 1986 AL Playoff game that he blew. I think the price of his card is simply from the popularity of the set, his other cards are usually more reasonable, unless it's a late issue 1988 or 1989 card.

I actually have an in-person Pulido that I would be willing to part with. I have a friend whose wife is from Mexico, and he travels there 2-3 times a year for baseball events and games. He went to a Mexican MLB Alumni event a month or two ago that a ton of former MLB players attended and got me a couple of Pulido's 87T signed, along with some other guys who have been MIA for years. If you're interested, PM me with your email address and I can send you a scan.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:31 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
Any chance you could help on a Noe Munoz?
Sorry, he never had any mainstream cards so I never got him on anything.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:46 PM
Curt

Thanks. I meant if you had a mexico connection, perhaps there was a chance to get him in the future. I believe Munoz is still quite active down there with baseball. I tried to reach him through a Facebook group, but received no reply. I saw a blogger collector got him through the mail a while back and sounded like he was really a nice guy, but not sure if there are any current addresses floating around for him. Need him for the dodger auto project and the only 2 on ebay in the last 6-12 months are from the same seller and it's a 3x5 for $30 (OBO) and a really cool, but expensive custom for $99 (OBO). I want him, but not at those prices!!

I don't have any cards for him, but he does have a minor league card. If I knew I had a chance to get his signature, I'd track down the card. Probably should get the card anyway.

Quote:
Sorry, he never had any mainstream cards so I never got him on anything.

Last edited by mrmopar; 02-28-2015 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:08 AM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

I'll keep you in mind the next time my friend goes down there. I'm sure he'll be making 2 or 3 trips.

I actually know the guy who makes those custom cards but I don't know that seller. The gentleman who makes those customs is an active online trader that I've dealt with before, and actually got a ton of early Mexican signatures from. The seller is probably someone he trades with. I can try to contact him to see if he has any extras, he usually prints several of the customs when he makes them.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:31 PM
Bill H@e1ig

I have a 87T signed Randy Myers that is currently @ PSA being slabbed (blue flip)
Old 03-02-2015, 11:05 AM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
Need him for the dodger auto project and the only 2 on ebay in the last 6-12 months are from the same seller and it's a 3x5 for $30 (OBO) and a really cool, but expensive custom for $99 (OBO). I want him, but not at those prices!!
I contacted the guy who made the customs and he had 5 left, so I was able to negotiate for one at a far more reasonable price. As an aside, he knew the seller on eBay and suspects that he obtained that card directly from Munoz himself, as when the guy who made the custom got them signed he gave Noe a bunch of extras. Apparently the seller is an active collector who makes several trips to Mexico and holds signings with the ex-players. PM sent.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:16 PM
Curt

Awesome, PM sent!! Thanks.

Quote:
I contacted the guy who made the customs and he had 5 left, so I was able to negotiate for one at a far more reasonable price. As an aside, he knew the seller on eBay and suspects that he obtained that card directly from Munoz himself, as when the guy who made the custom got them signed he gave Noe a bunch of extras. Apparently the seller is an active collector who makes several trips to Mexico and holds signings with the ex-players. PM sent.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:55 PM
Jim Smiley

Default Have 5 signed sets, looking to trade one

I'd love to trade a signed set. I've got Topps sets from 1985, 86, and 87 and the 87 Fleer and 86 Donruss. It's almost all the same players. Would love to chat with someone who has a complete or near complete set of another year. Figuring out a trade would be wonderful.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:43 PM

I currently have 184/792 signed.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:47 AM
Chris Wood

If anyone is breaking up an 1986 Topps set, I am looking for a handful of Blue Jays cards. Thanks!
Old 12-03-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball tourist View Post
If anyone is breaking up an 1986 Topps set, I am looking for a handful of Blue Jays cards. Thanks!
I don't really break up sets, but maybe I can help you obtain them should you specify who you're looking for.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:41 AM
Chris Wood

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topps206 View Post
I don't really break up sets, but maybe I can help you obtain them should you specify who you're looking for.
I would appreciate any help! Thanks!

I am looking to add the following autographed 1986 Topps and Topps Traded cards (preferably signed in blue):

718 - Jorge Bell All Star
386 - Cecil Feilder
45 - Damaso Garcia
338 - Jorge Bell
459 - Luis Leal
196 - Doyle Alexander
593 - Jesse Barfield
23T - John Cerutti

Have a couple autographed doubles from this set to offer as trade:

412 - Jim Clancy (blue sharpie)
360 - Lloyd Moseby (black sharpie)
Old 12-03-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:

I am looking to add the following autographed 1986 Topps and Topps Traded cards (preferably signed in blue):

386 - Cecil Feilder
45 - Damaso Garcia
338 - Jorge Bell
459 - Luis Leal
196 - Doyle Alexander
593 - Jesse Barfield
23T - John Cerutti

Do you do mail order for shows? Barfield was in New York just last month.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:02 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Do you do mail order for shows? Barfield was in New York just last month.
I have only obtained one autograph via mail order before, but am certainly willing to look at doing this. Thanks for the idea. Is there a site that offers upcoming show info?
Old 12-03-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
I have only obtained one autograph via mail order before, but am certainly willing to look at doing this. Thanks for the idea. Is there a site that offers upcoming show info?
You can use these:

stlsportscollectors.com
nyshows.org
thepurplepeopleeaters.com
Chasetheink.com
Cravetheauto.com
Undertheradarsportspromotions.com

All are sources for me for different signings and have helped me with my 1987 set.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:54 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
You can use these:

stlsportscollectors.com
nyshows.org
thepurplepeopleeaters.com
Chasetheink.com
Cravetheauto.com
Undertheradarsportspromotions.com

All are sources for me for different signings and have helped me with my 1987 set.
Thanks! If anyone has these for sale, pls let me know
Old 12-04-2015, 12:57 PM

I'm up to 186 now with successes from Omar Moreno and Floyd Youmans.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:55 PM

Larry McWilliams brings me up to 187.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:46 AM

I'm up to 188 from Mike Young via PastPros.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:04 PM

Herm Winningham and Junior Ortiz push me up to 190.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:31 PM
Wayne Walker

I have #101 Carl Willis and 217 Chris Codiroli from my old minor league IP graphing days. If anyone needs and wants those two, pm me your address and I'll send them.

EDIT-these have been claimed and sent to a new home

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all

Last edited by mighty bombjack; 12-14-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:10 PM
Curt

Default possible trades?

I'm at 167 and have doubles of the following if anyone wants to trade.

54 Bill Dawley
67 Bill Swift
69 Lonnie Smith
88 Ed Wojna
95 Oddibe McDowell
122 Jim Clancy
157 Danny Darwin
169 Ron Washington
190 Jim Sundberg
232 Reggie Williams
233 Russ Morman
279 Dan Plesac
293 Bob Rodgers MGR
585 Scott Bailes
646 Mike Mason
742 Andy McGaffigan

Last edited by curtis-cards; 12-14-2015 at 12:52 PM. Reason: 317 Hurdle gone
Old 12-14-2015, 12:48 PM

I got Wojna back today, making it 191.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:20 AM
Christi@n M. Fink

Default Jorge Bell

Quote:

386 - Cecil Feilder
45 - Damaso Garcia
338 - Jorge Bell
459 - Luis Leal
196 - Doyle Alexander
593 - Jesse Barfield
23T - John Cerutti

Jorge Bell signed for me TTM via Spring Training in 2014 and 2015. I'd be prepared to send one in mid February 2016 if I were you. Worst case scenario, it costs you a couple of stamps and a couple of commons. Hope this helps.

Chris
Old 12-15-2015, 08:31 AM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMFSports View Post
Jorge Bell signed for me TTM via Spring Training in 2014 and 2015. I'd be prepared to send one in mid February 2016 if I were you. Worst case scenario, it costs you a couple of stamps and a couple of commons. Hope this helps.

Chris
Thanks Chris. PM sent with some questions...hope you don't mind?
Old 12-16-2015, 02:22 PM

Got back from a St . Louis mail order:

Jack Clark
Tommy Herr
Bob Tewksbury

Now I'm at 194/792.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:14 PM

Bill Scherrer and Mark Huismann today make it 197.

Last edited by Topps206; 12-24-2015 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:44 PM

Mike LaCoss puts me at 198, exactly 25% in the set.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:42 PM

Wallace Johnson, Larry Parrish, Billy Jo Robidoux today. I'm at 201.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:46 AM

It's 202 with Jamie Moyer today.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:47 PM

203 with Bob James finishes the year.