NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 10-19-2018, 04:21 PM

Default 500 Homerun Balls and Ken Griffey Jr.

TIA for reading my post. I am both a collector/dealer and promoter. My Company, TRISTAR, is hosting the upcoming Ken Griffey Jr. private signing. I am happy to answer any questions. I wanted to post the following as a collector to discuss the value proposition of a 500 Homerun signed baseball. As a collector, i am paying (yes we pay as well) and having Griffey Jr. sign my 500 Homerun baseball. I want it for my collection so i am doing it. However, i also believe it is a prudent investment for my children, whenever they decide to sell it when i am not around and i base that on the sales of similar balls. the best one i have seen was in an REA auction which had 21 of the 22 living at the time Club Members (missing Bonds). Pujols and Ortiz later joined so today there are 24 living members. I have read on this and other such group forums that people who have 500 Homerun balls wont pay to add players such as Pujols and Griffey Jr. Of Course to do so helps my company but it also is a good investment based on what i see. The aforementioned 500 Home Run baseball sold for $9988.
What will one sell for at auction signed by all 24 living members? $10,000, $15, $20,000 who knows. i have not seen one for sale yet.

My premise is that if you have one and need Griffey, Jr can you really afford not to add his signature? i understand $450 does not grow on trees. But what i will say is that I heard many collectors in the 1980's and early 90's excoriate over Mantle and DiMaggio pricing when they were $10 and $25 respectively. how do i know? i was the promoter and believe me i wish i had saved a lot more of their items at those prices. as the promoter of those shows i paid exactly the same as the public.

I know everyone has an opinion, even those who don't own a 500 HR Club baseball. But for those who do, the upcoming Griffey Jr. signing (which is nearly sold out anyway and will be prior to the signing based on the current demand), I see this as a rare opportunity to add one of the toughest signatures in the Club.
details on the link below.
i appreciate everyone's time and opinions.
Jeff

https://www.tristarproductions.com/Griffey/
Old 10-20-2018, 08:27 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

I think people will regret NOT getting his signature if they don’t. I too remember people balking at $25 for Mantle autos. Wouldn’t it be awful if Griffey turns out to be bitter later in life like Mays? I’ve heard too many horror stories about Willie purposely messing up multi signed pieces.

Full disclosure, I have a 500 HR Ball that is staying just as it is. I got all of the signatures personally when I was a kid a shows.

Last edited by Laxcat; 10-20-2018 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:16 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

I am perfectly happy with my 500 Hoke Run Ball from that first super show so many years ago. No desire to add anyone from the recent spate of new members to the club. In my opinion, my ball would decrease in value adding anyone. And there is no way that Mantle at $25 equates to Griffey at $400+. Not even close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:49 AM
keith janosky

I look at it Griffey will be around for another 40 years or so given a healthy normal life. Plenty of time to get his autograph some other way or maybe he'll do more shows in the future at a lower price. It was like that almost when Ripken started doing shows his prices were sky high because of breaking Gehrigs record but now have come down some.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:36 PM
Jonathan Sterling

In 2015 I made the decision to add to my original 11 500 HR ball that I owned since new. I had a chance to add Arod and did . I am a fan having watched him hit many Home runs mostly at Yankee Stadium. I also wanted to add other players that I watched. Mostly players I saw hit homers live so it would mean something to have them on my ball.
So now I am up to 16 having added Arod, Murray, Thomas, Sheffield and Thome. And I already mailed my ball in for Griffey Jr.
I don't think I have room for all 24 Signatures So I will be choosy. I passed on Pujols because I think I have a shot on getting him later. But Griffey signings are few so I paid up. More for this one than the other 5 combined. And if Bonds was signing I would send it in a heartbeat. But I understand others have their reasons for getting and not getting players just sharing mine.
Jonathan
Old 10-20-2018, 02:39 PM
D@vid Fel@

I think the price is high but I did a send in anyway through mill creek. For years people have been complaining about jeter prices and how much he has signed through Steiner. Wait until he makes the HoF and see what those prices look like. Griffey prices aren’t coming down anytime soon, he isnt hitting the show circuit and I learned my lesson from Halliday. Passed on a signing to get him later and that never happened.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:45 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

I think there are 2 perspectives to look at this type of subject.

The first is the value of getting him, or any player really, on an item that you personally want. This argument throws money out the window as if the item is important to you, you might pay ridiculous amounts because of that personal attachment. Paying $450 for Griffey, or $600 for Jeter, etc becomes an emotional choice. As Jonathan said, he wants to add players he enjoyed watching. Personally I have "overpaid" for autos for this reason and see nothing wrong with it.

The second is the question of intrinsic and/or resale value. What I mean is how will adding a sig to an item change the sale price of that item should you go to sell it in the future. Using Griffey as an example, IMO, there are some situations where adding his sig to a 500 hr ball would be worth it and some that are not. From a financial value standpoint, a 500 HR ball with 12 sigs would certainly sell for more than one with 11, but there is no way in my mind that it would be $450 more regardless of who the extra HOFer is except for perhaps Mantle and Williams. IMO, I just don't think adding Griffey to a ball with 11 signatures will add $450 to the selling price. On the other hand, adding him to a ball with 23, to complete it, may very well push the price significantly higher than the $450 paid for Griffey.
Steiner is a great example to use. Most of their items can be purchased on ebay for significantly less than their original selling price. Many can be had for half. Going back to my first point, sending something that has personal meaning to you is judged on an entirely different scale. Paying $600 for Jeter to signed the foul ball you caught may be worth every penny. Paying $600 for a generic signed ball that you hope to resell at some point is not.

Here are some times I "overpaid."

I paid $375 to add Aaron as the final sig to this magazine

I paid $800 to add Ali to this magazine. (Yes. That tiny sig above his photo)

Would I do both again? Yep.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL

Last edited by Lordstan; 10-20-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:17 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Mark
both those magazines are great. one thing that sticks out is the Johnny Unitas the only auto missing from your magazine. He and his untimely death are a key reason I am much more likely to pay up for a signature I have been chasing. I met him once and got a single item signed but being a colts Fan I had a stack of items I planned on getting signed. He was a nice guy who despite some physical limitations seemed to really enjoy talking football and hanging with colts fans. So I was sure that I would have the opportunity but it never came.
On your second point. I thought long and hard on sending a louisville slugger poster in for Griffey to sign. But ended up buying a different poster signed by Arod and Griffey for less than half the current fee. So obviously I agree with both your points because I share the same experiences.
J
Old 10-20-2018, 04:30 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Jonathan,
Thanks for the kind words.

Believe me, If I could go back and get Unitas I would. He died during a time when I was not actively collecting so I did not get a chance to send in for him, but I would have. When I started to collect seriously again, the mag had Mantle, Mays, and Koufax on it. I paid $60 for Brown, $100 for Russell, and $35 for Hull, before sending in for Ali. Had I not been able to add the first 3, I don't think I would have paid that much for Ali. Having him being the last one available made it worth it to me.

The other mag was similar, but only needed Berra, Musial, and Aaron. Berra and Musial were around $55-60 each. If they had already passed, I am not sure if I would have spent that much on Aaron.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 10-20-2018, 09:07 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post

The first is the value of getting him, or any player really, on an item that you personally want. This argument throws money out the window as if the item is important to you, you might pay ridiculous amounts because of that personal attachment. Paying $450 for Griffey, or $600 for Jeter, etc becomes an emotional choice. As Jonathan said, he wants to add players he enjoyed watching. Personally I have "overpaid" for autos for this reason and see nothing wrong with it.

The second is the question of intrinsic and/or resale value. What I mean is how will adding a sig to an item change the sale price of that item should you go to sell it in the future. Using Griffey as an example, IMO, there are some situations where adding his sig to a 500 hr ball would be worth it and some that are not. From a financial value standpoint, a 500 HR ball with 12 sigs would certainly sell for more than one with 11, but there is no way in my mind that it would be $450 more regardless of who the extra HOFer is except for perhaps Mantle and Williams. IMO, I just don't think adding Griffey to a ball with 11 signatures will add $450 to the selling price. On the other hand, adding him to a ball with 23, to complete it, may very well push the price significantly higher than the $450 paid for Griffey.
Steiner is a great example to use. Most of their items can be purchased on ebay for significantly less than their original selling price. Many can be had for half. Going back to my first point, sending something that has personal meaning to you is judged on an entirely different scale. Paying $600 for Jeter to signed the foul ball you caught may be worth every penny. Paying $600 for a generic signed ball that you hope to resell at some point is not.

Mark, very nice!!!
Old 10-21-2018, 05:11 AM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

I agree with everything Mark posted. Well said.

With all due respect, if Tristar was almost sold out then why are you posting on this board and multiple Facebook boards about this signing every day. Also, I think it is fair game to let other board members know the disclaimer that Tri-Star has put on the signing. It says that they cannot guarantee autograph placement, quality of the autograph, pen selection, etc. So if you’re going to send in your cherished 500 homerun club ball, please keep that in mind. I have never seen that disclaimer on any other signing. Just want to make sure people are going into this signing with eyes wide open.

Last edited by jimjim; 10-22-2018 at 04:22 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:17 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

My favorite part is the speculation of future value. Has a living multi signed item ever even sold for more than the cost of all the signatures? Look at all the 300 win or 500 hr lithos. It's always seemed like an exercise in futility. Granted you can cite one example, but look at all the other data. For a personal collection, you cant put a price on that. I paid to get Erskine and branca on my 1952 topps, just to meet them. I probably paid 4x what I could have had them on Ebay for

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 10-23-2018, 11:05 PM
Jonathan Sterling

The items for the Griffey Jr. signing need to be in Houston by Thursday Oct 26 THIS Thursday. I think that explains why the ads and postings were popping up all over. As a collector who has missed out on a number of private signing events simply because I found out to late. The more ads the better. I will post my ball here when it is returned..
J.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:05 AM

Default Screw Griffey and Tristar

I threw up in my mouth while reading the "I pay the same price as you" bullsh*t. Why not just advertise your signing and spare us your storytelling. Griffey Jr is a jerk, it's widely known and will most likely never change. And you should all prepare yourself to be robbed when Jeter is inducted, he is another money hungry douchebag who will gouge his fans at every turn. All of those who continue to pay these exorbitant prices, expecting future windfalls, deserve to be robbed.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:24 AM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynbaseball View Post
I threw up in my mouth while reading the "I pay the same price as you" bullsh*t. Why not just advertise your signing and spare us your storytelling. Griffey Jr is a jerk, it's widely known and will most likely never change. And you should all prepare yourself to be robbed when Jeter is inducted, he is another money hungry douchebag who will gouge his fans at every turn. All of those who continue to pay these exorbitant prices, expecting future windfalls, deserve to be robbed.
Lol. +1
Old 11-10-2018, 07:29 PM
Tho.mas Car.ter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynbaseball View Post
Yup.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post

Well said, Mark.
Several other posters had good points as well.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:45 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

I agree with Mark, especially if you need just one or two to complete a project, but for me I have a HOF book that I try to get any living hall of famer in. Since signings in Calif are few and far between, that leaves me with shows like the Baseball HOF show in July. If I go every 5 or 6 years, that leaves me with sometimes 12 - 15 hof'ers to catch up on...and with the new guys like Jeter and Griffey jr. charging so much, it's just getting too much (also add in the fact that I collect single signed balls...agghhhhh!). Anyway, it comes down to where I'd rather put my money.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:03 PM
D@vid Fel@

Any updates on this signing?
Old 12-11-2018, 11:32 PM
Jonathan Sterling

I reached out to the OP twice over the past month about this signing he did not reply either time. Last Friday I was told by Tristar that Mr. Griffey has been busy but they expected him to sign this week and if he did not they would us know.
Many of us have been waiting almost 2 months since sending money and items. I will update as I hear more.
J
Old 12-12-2018, 07:36 AM
D@vid Fel@

I emailed mill creek. They said the signing is scheduled for today.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:18 AM
Jonathan Sterling

I got an email from Tristar saying the signing had been completed and items would be mailed back within a few days. They included a picture of him signing .. So hopes are high. will update.