NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 10-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Default Walter Payton cards

Posted By: steve

When looking at the Payton set registry at the PSA 9 level:

1. The 1976 rookie is very, very, very, plentiful - why the big prices when not at all rare - are soooo many people into the 'rookie' thing ? And the registry gives it a 10 weight, wow.

2. The 1979 card - is sneaky low population, should be weighted higher. Go ahead, try to find a nicely centered 9 grade - you're going to look a long time. Not like the rookie you can pick up almost any week.

3. The 1984 and 1985 cards are the toughest of them all - yet PSA only weights them a "lofty" 1 weight - go figure.

4. Albeit easy, but why the 1988 card not in the registry?

Just observations from a Payton junkie. Steve.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

When you find out good answers to those questions, please let me know!
I agree on all points.
I currently have the #8 set, and I am looking for a day when I can afford to upgrade my 8s to 9s in the previously mentioned years (77, 79, 84, and 85)...

And I don't know why the 1988 isn't in the set...maybe we should contact PSA about that...is that one technically just a "record-breaker?"

That 1984 & 1985 difficulty snuck up on me...I had no idea. but you are right, try to find them! it's almost worth buying unopened material to try and find a few

Old 10-05-2007, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

.....does the payton set include the tougher early payton issues?
such as.....
-1976 saga disc, (rookie) crane disc counterpart....but much, much tougher.
-1978 holsum bread
-1977 topps mexican

all three of those issue are tough, especially in high grade. i'm just wondering how those are weighted, if they are included.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Andy,

Those 3 cards are included in the Payton "Master Set", and are weighted a 10, 7, and 10.

Most of the bigger stars on the PSA set registry have a "basic issue set" that includes just the mainstream cards, then they also have a "Master set" which includes all of the players cards that were issued during his career. (I'm not a player collector, so I'm really not 100% sure if it's always limited to just their playing years ... but it's something like that?)

They do the same thing with some of the mainstream sets too. For instance in the 1957 Topps set; the basic set only needs one checklist card and doesn't include the Sherman error card ... while the Master set needs both the Twin Blony and Bazooka checklists, along with the Sherman error card to be 100% complete.

Mike

Old 10-15-2007, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

thanks mike......i appreciate the info.
best,
andy