NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-21-2017, 03:18 PM
kvnkvnkvn's Avatar
kvnkvnkvn kvnkvnkvn is offline
K. Mitchell
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Erie, Pennsylvania
Posts: 214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Whoa! Easy there Pops!
Yeah, that was a stern no. hahahha
__________________
Active Collection: Vintage Chicago Cubs and Baseball HOF
Personal Trade Folder: http://bit.ly/PersonalTradeFolder
EBay Store: http://stores.ebay.com/cardsfromtheattic
FOLLOW on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CardsFromAttic
3 Completed Sales on the Forum. 23 Completed Trades on the Forum.

Last edited by kvnkvnkvn; 11-21-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-21-2017, 05:18 PM
WillBBC WillBBC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 333
Default

I love some of them...greatly dislike others. The amount of redundant, ridiculously high MSRP products that are out now just do nothing for me. I stick to a few boxes of Heritage and Bowman Draft/Chrome per year, maybe a box of Stadium Club then Series 1 and 2 Upper Deck Hockey and SP Authentic.

I'm a sucker for Refractors though, especially some of the earlier issues and the colored Heritage versions. My wife was in the living room with me while I was opening some Heritage last year and pulled a Bryce Harper Gold Refractor numbered to 5. I was thrilled, she dropped a Lisa Frank joke immediately and had me laughing for 10 minutes.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-21-2017, 05:31 PM
kvnkvnkvn's Avatar
kvnkvnkvn kvnkvnkvn is offline
K. Mitchell
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Erie, Pennsylvania
Posts: 214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBBC View Post
I'm a sucker for Refractors though, especially some of the earlier issues and the colored Heritage versions.
Those early year refractors and even low number serials are valuable. Expecially some of those basketball ones...

An 1999 /100 is not the same as a 2017 /100...
__________________
Active Collection: Vintage Chicago Cubs and Baseball HOF
Personal Trade Folder: http://bit.ly/PersonalTradeFolder
EBay Store: http://stores.ebay.com/cardsfromtheattic
FOLLOW on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CardsFromAttic
3 Completed Sales on the Forum. 23 Completed Trades on the Forum.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-23-2017, 10:04 PM
avalanche2006 avalanche2006 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 260
Default

My 2 cents.
I grew up collecting cards in the 70s and 80s.
Collected all of the sets.
Sold that collection when I had mouths to feed.
I got back into collecting with hockey in 05-06 with my kids.
I don't know how many packs we opened trying to get that damn Crosby young gun, which we never did.
After 10 years of going through the whole game used jersey, autos, rcs, refractors, blue,green, on and on.
I finally realized what a waste of time that was.
I can't even look at all this new shiny stuff.
But I'm old school anyway so I want anything old.

Ok. So you have Leons simple answer, which I could have just agreed with.
But I decided to ramble for a minute.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-23-2017, 10:24 PM
kvnkvnkvn's Avatar
kvnkvnkvn kvnkvnkvn is offline
K. Mitchell
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Erie, Pennsylvania
Posts: 214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalanche2006 View Post
My 2 cents.
I grew up collecting cards in the 70s and 80s.
Collected all of the sets.
Sold that collection when I had mouths to feed.
I got back into collecting with hockey in 05-06 with my kids.
I don't know how many packs we opened trying to get that damn Crosby young gun, which we never did.
After 10 years of going through the whole game used jersey, autos, rcs, refractors, blue,green, on and on.
I finally realized what a waste of time that was.
I can't even look at all this new shiny stuff.
But I'm old school anyway so I want anything old.

Ok. So you have Leons simple answer, which I could have just agreed with.
But I decided to ramble for a minute.
Ramble away my friend...Modern is a joke. Manufactured scarcity...I am mostly vintage myself, but collect some modern Cubbies...Mostly autos...
__________________
Active Collection: Vintage Chicago Cubs and Baseball HOF
Personal Trade Folder: http://bit.ly/PersonalTradeFolder
EBay Store: http://stores.ebay.com/cardsfromtheattic
FOLLOW on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CardsFromAttic
3 Completed Sales on the Forum. 23 Completed Trades on the Forum.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-24-2017, 09:32 AM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 23,768
Default

Just to reiterate my long winded answer. No.
__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-24-2017, 09:50 AM
bn2cardz's Avatar
bn2cardz bn2cardz is offline
Х r
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,754
Default

Yes.

I love the game of baseball. I can't get Paul Goldschmidt on a T206, so then I buy modern stuff.

Those that don't typically like all the years, in my experience, are not lovers of the game, they are purely hobbyist. Or they only like the game "the way it used to be played". That is fine, but a hobbyist is going to be particular to the hobby without any interest in the game itself. Someone, like myself, that loves the game is in the hobby due to the connection it gives me to the game and that includes all years and all aspects.
__________________
Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:19-21
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-24-2017, 10:48 AM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 23,768
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Yes.

I love the game of baseball. I can't get Paul Goldschmidt on a T206, so then I buy modern stuff.

Those that don't typically like all the years, in my experience, are not lovers of the game, they are purely hobbyist. Or they only like the game "the way it used to be played". That is fine, but a hobbyist is going to be particular to the hobby without any interest in the game itself. Someone, like myself, that loves the game is in the hobby due to the connection it gives me to the game and that includes all years and all aspects.
Poppycock. I love the game of baseball as much as almost anyone. I play softball actively every week (except in the winter) and have for around 50 yrs when including baseball as a youngster. I don't know what a Paul Goldschmidt is nor do I care (no disrespect meant to that person). That doesn't make me not like baseball. I don't like the way pro athletes act, in general. I never really got over the strike in the 1994 season, which ended it, amid salary cap negotiations. Then in the 1987-1994 era, baseball cards were produced by the gazillions and that pretty much killed a lot of the hobby. Then lastly there is manufactured rarity which I don't care for. I like baseball just as much or more than almost anyone. My original answer was much better, "no".

Btw, I think it's great that a lot of collectors love new, shiny cards. I think it's awesome they are at least collecting baseball cards and having fun.
Happy collecting.
__________________
Leon Luckey

Last edited by Leon; 11-24-2017 at 12:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-27-2017, 09:46 AM
packs packs is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,414
Default

I've said it before but I don't really understand how vintage guys who collect rare back T206's can have such harsh opinions when it comes to modern cards. I don't see a manufactured rarity any different from an unintentionally manufactured rarity. If you collect rare backs, you're collecting a more limited version of a common card. How is that any different from chasing numbered refractors or other variations? Some would say the difference is that the refractor is made to be rare. There are plenty of sets that have short printed players, which were certainly printed in smaller numbers on purpose.

Really I think it comes down to the age old argument of what is or isn't cool.

Last edited by packs; 11-27-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-27-2017, 07:42 PM
Leon's Avatar
Leon Leon is offline
Leon
peasant/forum owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Dallas
Posts: 23,768
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I've said it before but I don't really understand how vintage guys who collect rare back T206's can have such harsh opinions when it comes to modern cards. I don't see a manufactured rarity any different from an unintentionally manufactured rarity. If you collect rare backs, you're collecting a more limited version of a common card. How is that any different from chasing numbered refractors or other variations? Some would say the difference is that the refractor is made to be rare. There are plenty of sets that have short printed players, which were certainly printed in smaller numbers on purpose.

Really I think it comes down to the age old argument of what is or isn't cool.
I politely disagree. True rarity and manufactured rarity are different to most vintage collectors including me, maybe that is a lot of the issue. Yes, there are some issues that have been made to have scarcities ('33 Lajoie comes to mind) but most sets weren't intended to have scarcer cards. On the other hand the shiny cards that are numbered are made to be rare. Big difference.
__________________
Leon Luckey
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
carl edwards jr., modern cards, topps chrome



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wow - we are actually pretty nice guys Runscott Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk 4 12-14-2014 06:40 PM
Modern shiny stuff v. Vintage Pre War YankeeCollector Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 8 12-28-2011 09:10 AM
E98s: difficulty of cards, colors, and set as a whole sesop Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 25 05-07-2009 02:43 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 AM.


ebay GSB