NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-18-2019, 12:59 PM
Ethan

Default Net54 -- Hobby Respect / Dignity

I've noticed that some threads have gotten pretty personal and even offensive in recent weeks. What are the rules around treating other people like $h/t on here? I joined this site to learn from others, see what's out there and to make connections with others in the hobby. I am always up for a back and forth discussion about cards or the status of hobby affairs, but in my opinion, some folks are taking things to a level of disrespect. If people are here to debate to the point of name calling and bullying, I think that they should be shown a consequence / suspention of some sort...some of the stuff on here is simply childish. Show some integrity / dignity.

Ethan

Last edited by LincolnVT; 10-18-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:05 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnVT View Post
I've noticed that some threads have gotten pretty personal and even offensive in recent weeks. What are the rules around treating other people like $h/t on here? I joined this site to learn from others, see what's out there and to make connections with others in the hobby. I am always up for a back and forth discussion about cards or the status of hobby affairs, but in my opinion, some folks are taking things to a level of disrespect. If people are here to debate to the point of name calling and bullying, I think that they should be shown a consequence / suspention of some sort...some of the stuff on here is simply childish. Show some integrity / dignity.

Ethan
I second that!

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 10-18-2019, 01:10 PM
Ben North

Quote:

Ethan
Stop being so sensitive or just add the people that annoy you to your ignore list so you don't have to see their posts.

Now someone quote this post so it can be seen. I assume I am on everyone's ignore list.

Last edited by bnorth; 10-18-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:22 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

My goal is, and has always been, the less moderation the better.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:10 PM

i've always viewed this place as Home! We're a Community of sorts...
So, if i moved inta a Community that had 1.5 Million(of whatevar) a month,
Do i Really believe that over many years i wouldn't disagree wit anyone of them?

As goofy as i can be at times... ignoring me is essential
Old 10-18-2019, 04:54 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Disagreements are fine; civility is compatible with disagreements.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-18-2019, 06:18 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Stop being so sensitive or just add the people that annoy you to your ignore list so you don't have to see their posts.

Now someone quote this post so it can be seen. I assume I am on everyone's ignore list.
I am more inclined to agree with the above. We cannot all sing Kumbuya while sitting around a campfire together but we cannot eliminate those posters who get under the saddle of others either. I am a firm believer that in society we must all learn to deal with everyone regardless if they are jerks or not so we must do the same here. Ignore the posters you don't like, or click past their inflammatory posts and if they get too personal I know Leon will step in as he has in the past. The less touchy feely we are with each other in all aspects of our lives the more tolerant we will become.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:02 PM

I have found the ignore list to be a huge asset.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:06 PM
Dave Fa*st

I don't think things are a whole lot different then they were fifteen years ago here. Just some different people for the most part that are more verbal now...it's an internet chat board of sorts. You're going to get people that are more bold on here with their personalities then they would be in person. So you're going to keep having spats or disagreements that pop up rather quickly.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:17 PM

As a new member, I agree with the call for respect. Makes me think twice about giving an opinion on something. Although, I also agree that it is tough to draw a line with moderation.

Maybe it's good enough that some visibility is given to the issue, and an opportunity for those that aren't quite as vocal to have the chance to agree.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:59 PM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

Because anger and hostility destroy our peace of mind, it is they that are our real enemy. Anger ruins our health; a compassionate attitude restores it. If it were basic human nature to be angry, there’d be no hope, but since it is our nature to be compassionate, there is.

The Dalai Lama

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 10-19-2019, 05:47 AM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Haven’t talked to you in awhile. Don’t want to derail this thread but you still playing softball or have you retired?
Old 10-19-2019, 06:02 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Quote:
+1 I'm good with that

If you get annoyed - stop reading
Old 10-19-2019, 06:54 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dueces View Post
Haven’t talked to you in awhile. Don’t want to derail this thread but you still playing softball or have you retired?
Sat out this year due to shoulder injury. Not sure about next year. Sometimes I don't do anything to it and it still hurts. I probably need to have surgery but haven't wanted to go there. Thanks for asking and hope you are well, Joe.

As for this moderation thing, everyone knows (or should know) that if gets too bad I will step in. Anyone can always PM me. One guy PM'd one time and he was going crazy because someone made a light joke at his expense. I told him I thought it was funny and wasn't going to do anything about it. He wasn't happy. I put myself in his place and it just wasn't that big of a deal. Something about a low ball and a cure for it.

Old 10-19-2019, 07:23 AM
Ethan

Default Discourse

I guess we all have the option of blocking others and ignoring people. I am just wondering where the line is on personal attacks. Many of us here have never even met one another personally. Was reading through the "Outed Cards..." thread and thought some of the discourse was questionable if not inappropriate.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:20 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
I guess we all have the option of blocking others and ignoring people. I am just wondering where the line is on personal attacks. Many of us here have never even met one another personally. Was reading through the "Outed Cards..." thread and thought some of the discourse was questionable if not inappropriate.
This is where the line is drawn...No Yankees are crossin.

https://youtu.be/iMZfCar-Ks8?t=27
Old 10-19-2019, 03:04 PM

These guys, who are obnoxious and rude on this forum, are very nice in person.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:48 PM

I think it’s just a numbers game. This site has grown into huge numbers and with it comes the jerks that hide behind their computer screens and take pot shots. Kinda like driving in traffic...there’s always gonna be those *ssholes out there that pass on the shoulder.

Rob M
Old 10-19-2019, 04:39 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Ethan-I’ve read most of the threads and haven’t seen anything I would consider particularly offensive about you. What are you referring to?

Jay
Old 10-19-2019, 04:56 PM
Ethan

Hey Jay. I'm just suggesting that people should try not to lose sight of the human at the other end of their personal comments. Call me compassionate, but some of the name calling in certain threads is for the birds. I'm often engaged in friendly banter about a card that I post or the scandal of the week...let's just keep it civil. We should try to build more of a culture of trust and admiration for one another and what we each have / enjoy, rather than trying to needle one another / pick each other apart. Just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Ethan-I’ve read most of the threads and haven’t seen anything I would consider particularly offensive about you. What are you referring to?

Jay
Old 10-20-2019, 06:49 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
I am more inclined to agree with the above. We cannot all sing Kumbuya while sitting around a campfire together but we cannot eliminate those posters who get under the saddle of others either. I am a firm believer that in society we must all learn to deal with everyone regardless if they are jerks or not so we must do the same here. Ignore the posters you don't like, or click past their inflammatory posts and if they get too personal I know Leon will step in as he has in the past. The less touchy feely we are with each other in all aspects of our lives the more tolerant we will become.
Well said, with your last sentence especially apt.
Acting easily offended seems to be the trend with some nowadays, modern people crumble under even just a hint of adversity... Its pathetic.
Instead of trying to police everyone's behavior to coincide with what YOU think is acceptable Ethan, why not just be a big enough person to move on and ignore it, instead of expecting the entire forum to bend to your standards?
Old 10-20-2019, 09:20 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

There are two people who who come to mind who are by the rule rude for no reason. However, they are otherwise knowledgeable and productive members.

Just assume it's their personality.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:31 AM
Michael Durrett
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdenny View Post
i've always viewed this place as Home! We're a Community of sorts...
So, if i moved inta a Community that had 1.5 Million(of whatevar) a month,
Do i Really believe that over many years i wouldn't disagree wit anyone of them?

As goofy as i can be at times... ignoring me is essential
Denny Walsh ---

You were the guy with the illegal *want ad* on EBay for a tuff set you were making.

"Mike" Drop

MD
Old 10-20-2019, 07:46 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeerGut View Post
Denny Walsh ---

You were the guy with the illegal *want ad* on EBay for a tuff set you were making.

"Mike" Drop

MD
What was illegal about it?
Old 10-20-2019, 07:52 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
There are two people who who come to mind who are by the rule rude for no reason. However, they are otherwise knowledgeable and productive members.

Just assume it's their personality.
Yep, this can seem like a harsh place before you get to "know" some of the members who post a lot.

Over several years I've seen that a lot, but I will also say that aside from a few personal gripes that linger, it usually doesn't stay harsh (Or maybe it just gets redirected) And that sometimes that harshness is warranted.

One of my early replies to a post was that I had some T206 SL blank backs.
And the immediate response was "yeah, suuuuure you do"
One I posted a scan all was well.

Now if I was just making something up.... Yikes. that wouldn't have gone well at all.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:44 AM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

I would say just treat everyone the way you would want to be treated. The Golden Rule.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:51 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

The actions of a few miscreants was the primary reason that, after receiving legal advise that i might face legal action if the attacks on one member by another led to slander or even libel, I felt it prudent to drop the old Full Count board. Remote chance, sure, but in the realm of possibility.

I think Leon runs a tight board with clearly defined soft rules that seem to work well. But there will always a few bad apples and suspension of board privileges
seems to be an apt punishment. His board features far outstrip what Full Count had to offer and we should all be grateful for it and mind our manner.

Leon, keep the faith!
Old 10-23-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Denny Walsh ---

"Mike" Drop

MD
"Mike",
After you pick yourself up...

Can you please explain how this pertains to me being either the Village idiot
Or your favorite Net54'er ?

Thank You for Your Community Cooperation!
We all need to do our part ~
Old 10-26-2019, 06:46 PM
Michael Durrett
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdenny View Post
"Mike",
After you pick yourself up...

Can you please explain how this pertains to me being either the Village idiot
Or your favorite Net54'er ?

Thank You for Your Community Cooperation!
We all need to do our part ~
Are U saying this is not truthism?

You posted a 'wanted" ad on feebay for a rare set you were doing.

Fact. So either admit it or hushup.

You are a known heckler on another forum.

MJD
Old 10-26-2019, 06:46 PM
Michael Durrett
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
I second that!
+99
Old 10-27-2019, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Are U saying this is not truthism?

You posted a 'wanted" ad on feebay for a rare set you were doing.

Fact. So either admit it or hushup.

You are a known heckler on another forum.

MJD
("Hushup" , No man has ever said this to me, i am at a lost for words!?!?!)

First off Mikey... You didn't answer my question! (:
Whats this got ta do wit this thread, i didn't bring "me" up in this thread, You did! So how am i the heckler?

And Calling me out for what is know to All is kinda redundant,
Dontcha Think!?

2ndly... As fir the " Heckin' " thing... i'm sure you're thinkin' of sumone else!
Why would i go anywhere else when we have wonderful fellars like you to help us all out! (:

PS Curious... Do you know Toppsaholic ?
Old 10-27-2019, 07:02 AM
Gary McNabb

I have had some unfriendly comments in regards to my posts, I know that the posters think they're justified but they don't consider or care about others feelings.

Last edited by garymc; 10-27-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 02:28 PM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
Sat out this year due to shoulder injury. Not sure about next year. Sometimes I don't do anything to it and it still hurts. I probably need to have surgery but haven't wanted to go there. Thanks for asking and hope you are well, Joe.

Hang in there with that shoulder. In April of 2018 I suffered a partial tear of my right rotator cuff. physical therapy didint help much but at the Softball Magazine Senior Camp last Nov a 50 yr old college pitching coach suggested I try Dr. Jobe's shoulder exercises. After 3 months it was almost completely healed. The good thing is that it was my glove hand and didn't affect my swing.
I tore my groin a month ago but it is healing faster than what I expected. I should be ready for the SM Senior camp this Nov.
Im a hitting instructor again.
Life can't be much better for a 70 yr old.
Maybe I'll see you on the softball field in 2020.

Last edited by BruceinGa; 10-27-2019 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:10 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I am anxious to get back out there but very well might be out this coming season too. My wife and I are going to sign up at a local gym today so maybe I can start getting back into shape (it's all mental) while injuries heal. And I just picked up new cleats and a nice Nokona glove too. It fits like a glove!! I think my aches go beyond topical . I really need to see a sports injury type doctor.

And back to topic, I agree, we need more dignity and respect around here. As Rodney Dangerfield famously said, "I Get No Respect".

Time For A Random Card-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceinGa View Post
Hang in there with that shoulder. In April of 2018 I suffered a partial tear of my right rotator cuff. physical therapy didint help much but at the Softball Magazine Senior Camp last Nov a 50 yr old college pitching coach suggested I try Dr. Jobe's shoulder exercises. After 3 months it was almost completely healed. The good thing is that it was my glove hand and didn't affect my swing.
I tore my groin a month ago but it is healing faster than what I expected. I should be ready for the SM Senior camp this Nov.
Im a hitting instructor again.
Life can't be much better for a 70 yr old.
Maybe I'll see you on the softball field in 2020.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cdv1.jpg (67.5 KB, 357 views)
Old 10-30-2019, 07:32 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

I've noticed things have been a little more on edge than usual lately, but it isn't the worst I've seen it. It seems the trend on here is things flare up for a few weeks or so, then whoever is stirring the pot either leaves of their own accord or is banned.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:51 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
I am anxious to get back out there but very well might be out this coming season too. My wife and I are going to sign up at a local gym today so maybe I can start getting back into shape (it's all mental) while injuries heal. And I just picked up new cleats and a nice Nokona glove too. It fits like a glove!! I think my aches go beyond topical . I really need to see a sports injury type doctor.

And back to topic, I agree, we need more dignity and respect around here. As Rodney Dangerfield famously said, "I Get No Respect".

Time For A Random Card-
Leon:

I can give you information on a great chiro whom I've seen for the past 20 years or so. He does a ton with sports issues and is a good person. Let me know
Old 10-31-2019, 06:29 AM
Albert Bee

Default softball

I had my left shoulder completely replaced about a year ago...6 month rehb... but well worth it..sleeping pain free...playing ball..gym..everything ..
Old 10-31-2019, 07:00 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBB View Post
I had my left shoulder completely replaced about a year ago...6 month rehb... but well worth it..sleeping pain free...playing ball..gym..everything ..
What did they replace your shoulder with?
Old 10-31-2019, 07:16 AM
Albert Bee

Default shoulder boy

the total shoulder replacement
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0361.JPG (55.3 KB, 180 views)
Old 10-31-2019, 07:33 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBB View Post
the total shoulder replacement
I wished they replaced my shoulder with lot of things. A toaster oven would come in handy for example.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:30 AM
Albert Bee

Default shoulder

Oh yea, a cup holder would be helpful, a pillow would be nice, a lot of good thing you could replace a shoulder with
Old 10-31-2019, 01:35 PM
Michael Durrett
Banned

Quote:

Ethan
Ethan!
Do not let a few payaso ruin it for you 99% of the dudes living cards are good peeps; tiny amount of bad guys getting in yer craneum just read the good stuff !!!
I read much more than I post on here so beleive me most of what is said is fine just ignore ignorance !!!

MJD

spaeth fan club leader