NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-14-2013, 09:45 AM

Default eBay change

Tried to do a BIN last night on eBay. Now the BIN forces you to use PayPal before it will complete the transaction. Tells you that someone else can still win the auction. I refuse to use PayPal.

Patrick
Old 07-14-2013, 09:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagecatcher View Post
Tried to do a BIN last night on eBay. Now the BIN forces you to use PayPal before it will complete the transaction. Tells you that someone else can still win the auction. I refuse to use PayPal.

Patrick
That might only be dictated by the seller on this auction. Sometimes I have gone to do a BIN and have seen those kinds of "restrictions".
Old 07-14-2013, 10:13 AM

Yes that is controlled by the seller, not ebay. They will allow a seller to accept a few different electonic payments or credit cards directly.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:16 PM
David Bryan

It is my understanding that ebay is making changes to the way buy it now items are purchase. Once again they feel the need to break what did not need fixing.

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformat...paiditems.html
Old 07-14-2013, 01:09 PM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

What is the potential eBay take on a Paypal vs check transaction? That should answer this question.
...whatever I want
Old 07-14-2013, 01:15 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidbvintage View Post
It is my understanding that ebay is making changes to the way buy it now items are purchase. Once again they feel the need to break what did not need fixing.

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformat...paiditems.html
That's news to me. Wow, nice move ebay. I guess if you hit a BIN and aren't quick enough someone else could still buy it out from under you, pay for it, and win it....after you were the first to hit the BIN. I better get out my fast typing fingers...
Old 07-14-2013, 05:35 PM
Scott

Default Bins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
That's news to me. Wow, nice move ebay. I guess if you hit a BIN and aren't quick enough someone else could still buy it out from under you, pay for it, and win it....after you were the first to hit the BIN. I better get out my fast typing fingers...
I can't remember the last time I said to myself "I have to pull the trigger on that BIN before someone else does". Usually BIN is overpriced stale cards....
I have almost stopped looking for anything but auctions on eBay, the BINs are so overpriced, especially on e90-1...
Old 07-14-2013, 09:49 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Yeah, I had forgotten about this nice little change coming down the pike. What I foresee is a lot of headaches for any seller unfortunate enough to be stuck in the middle of one of these situations. I have a hard enough time explaining to several newbies a week, "No, I can't SEE what is in your Shopping Cart until you "commit to buy" the items, so I can't send you an invoice for all the stuff you've picked out." Now, I can add irate buyers who think they've committed to a purchase but had it bought out from under them to the mix. "Why did you sell it to someone else when you knew I was going to pay for it. Way to treat your customers. I was still shopping in your store, but I'm so pissed off now, you can just cancel the rest of my purchases." To which I respond, "No, I can't SEE what is in your Shopping Cart..."

In some backwards-thinking way, eBay sees this as a solution to buyers of Fixed Price items taking too long to pay, or not paying at all. As usual, they completely overlook the potential for it to backfire on the seller. And it will. The reality is that if some numbskull clicks on BIN and doesn't intend to pay, all this will do is soothe their conscience by making them think that they haven't really committed to anything, so no harm done.

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 07-14-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:42 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFandango View Post
I can't remember the last time I said to myself "I have to pull the trigger on that BIN before someone else does". Usually BIN is overpriced stale cards....
I have almost stopped looking for anything but auctions on eBay, the BINs are so overpriced, especially on e90-1...
I see some nice BIN prices occasionally, though the ratio must be like 200-5-1 on overpriced vs fair vs good. I recently got an N28 Caruthers via eBay BIN for $150, which according to Cardtarget had not sold for under $250 in same grade in the past 6-7 years.

Relating to Paypal. I've had really annoying issues completing transactions through my phone recently (mobile web site, not app). Problem being when eBay asks me to sign into Paypal to pay, I feel like they've eliminated 1-2 step/click(s), with payment now completed in a single click rather than a click(s) followed by a review screen like I've been used to. This has lead me to unknowingly pay prematurely before selecting payment method.. and using default bank wire, as opposed to credit card. This has happened to me 3 times in past month and has caused overdrafts since these transactions, even when caught in 1-2 minutes are totally irreversible and I'm just not able to transfer funds from savings in time. This happen to anyone else or am I just crazy??

In fairness to Paypal, their customer service REALLY pleasantly surprised me today (after several useless calls) by offering to cover a few previous overdraft fees I'd incurred (it was very easy for them to see the recent transactions I'd had issues with) and promising follow up from a tech supervisor later this week.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:23 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Makes sense to me that you need to pay to actually win the BIN IF your using paypal (IF the seller only accepts paypal). No need for a seller to only accept paypal and the buyer pay days later on a BIN.

BUY IT NOW - PAY NOW, lol
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:59 AM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

Problem I had is with multiple purchases. I bought a few items from the same seller but had to pay for each separately. No combined shipping charges when you do it this new way. I had to contact the seller prior to the purchase and get him to agree to refund the extra $$.
Purchasing 5+ items and paying 5+ $3 (or more) shipping charges each is crazy.

Last edited by jp1216; 07-15-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:39 AM
Jason S!m@nds

Default I like this

I can't tell you how many times I have posted a reasonably priced buy it now that gets scooped up in less than a day only to sit in my "Awaiting Payment" folder for another week. Generally these clowns like to buy items to "reserve" them and only pay once money comes in from other sales or whatever. This will save me some headaches for sure.

Jason
Old 07-15-2013, 08:00 AM
Tony Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
I can't tell you how many times I have posted a reasonably priced buy it now that gets scooped up in less than a day only to sit in my "Awaiting Payment" folder for another week. Generally these clowns like to buy items to "reserve" them and only pay once money comes in from other sales or whatever. This will save me some headaches for sure.

Jason
I agree 100%! If the buyer wants to Buy It Now, then Pay For It Now. Too many slugs on ebay who want to pay on their terms. This way I get my money quickly and the buyer gets his item quickly. Done and done. I have not accepted any form of payment other than PP in many years and it has worked out excellent for me.
Just my .02
Old 07-15-2013, 08:34 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

I think a compromise (to help both buyer and seller) would be a 24 or 48 hour "grace" period between the Buy it Now and the payment.

From the buyer's perspective: I will sometimes do a Buy It Now on something I really want/need and choose to look over the rest of the inventory to ADD to my purchase. I may do this to get a discount in shipping and it also allows the seller to package up multiple items into one shipment. Sometimes I find other stuff, sometimes I don't. But if I had to pay during the same process I "bought" the item before I was done looking over everything, I might not look over the other items knowing I had to go through the same process each time. THAT can be a real hassle to the buyer. I don't know if ebay's shopping cart helps avoid this problem, but it still wouldn't address the issue of something I really wanted vs something I wouldn't mind having/adding.

From the seller's perspective: I totally can relate to waiting a week (or more) for payment and having to open a case to actually get someone to pay for something. Been there. But I don't think waiting 24 (or 48) hours is unreasonable either. IF the seller ONLY accepts paypal, then ebay can progamatically realease/cancel the sale when the time limit is reached. If the seller takes other forms of payment, then they can "confirm" (or lock in) the sale prior to the time limit (on anything not tied directly into ebay).
Old 07-15-2013, 03:20 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1216 View Post
Problem I had is with multiple purchases. I bought a few items from the same seller but had to pay for each separately. No combined shipping charges when you do it this new way. I had to contact the seller prior to the purchase and get him to agree to refund the extra $$.
Purchasing 5+ items and paying 5+ $3 (or more) shipping charges each is crazy.
Exactly. And for you sellers, something for you to look into: now that you are charged fees by eBay on shipping charges, what happens to those fees when you refund a portion of those shipping charges...?

With Paypal fees, when you send a partial refund, the fees applied to that portion of the payment are refunded as well (and they show the fee amount refunded on the confirmation screen for the refund). With Ebay fees, they charge the fees to your account at the time the BIN is completed, and the only way the fees are refunded to your account is if you cancel the transaction out completely. They WILL NOT refund any fees on a partially-refunded transaction, and since you never see anything about the fees until you get your statement at the end of the month, it is easy to overlook what happened with the fees on that transaction you refunded. Refund $100 of overpaid shipping charges, and you will be billed by eBay just as if you had kept the $100.

Now, sellers, try explaining that to buyers who overpay for shipping and then ask for a partial refund for combining their items into 1 shipment.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:55 PM
Kevin Qui.nn

buy it now with a waiting list....

it was bought but not paid for. would you like to get on the waiting list. if the previous buyer doesn't pay for it in x period of time you can buy it.

kevin