NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-20-2017, 05:57 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsFan View Post
This is just between you and I. Don't tell the other guys...

There are many locations you can choose from, post office, hardware or grocery/convinces store. They are all likely to sell bubble mailers in Qty among other shipping supplies. This way you can greatly reduce your number of trips. You have your cards and the packaging in the same location. This way once you've packaged your items there is only one trip to the post office.

Also might I suggest adjusting you post office visiting times. I've always had my best luck between 10-11am and 2-3:30pm. This should greatly reduce your time spent waiting in line.

but like I said, keep it on the dl.
Thanks! My post office is on Wall Street and don't see many hardware stores in the area. Will look today.
Putting aside time spent, I spent $7.75 on shipping and got 8 bucks something after pay pal fees. Should I go to confession today and apologize to a high power for this terrible price gouging? Now I'm terribly wracked with guilt and shame.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:30 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
Bought a small digital postage scale years ago and Im sure it has paid for itself several times over now.
I have an old 32 oz spring scale for food that the wife has had for years. Don't use it any more for food but use it for weighing small packages. I calibrated/verified it by weighing a few boxed items on it, taking them to the PO, and having them confirm the weight readings I got. In my case they were almost dead on and haven't had any issues with wrong weights.

I've found that going to your local PO as a 'regular' and working with the same people there can really help when you DO have a problem.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:34 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
Havent bought a bubble mailer in years - since I am both a buyer and seller I open carefully and reuse most all of the bubble mailers that my purchases come in.
Yep. Same with bubble wrap, peanuts, boxes, etc. And I'm "Saving the planet" too!

Ship unto others as you would have them ship unto you!
Old 09-20-2017, 08:41 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
Try being in Canada, where eBay charges ridiculous amounts through their Global Shipping Program. I'm with you, I include those charges when bidding, and seldom win anything from anyone who uses that program.

Lots of discussion around whether Americans who use that program actually realize it lowers the number of potential bidders for their products.
The problem is Canada charges duty on any imported items with a value of over $20 CDN..Our American friends to the south are allowed to bring across $800 "duty free"..The Canadian government has not changed their import laws for well over 50 years..This is nothing more than an additional "tax grab" by the Canadian government and significant "hosing" of Canadian taxpayers.

Complaining about Americans charging too much for shipping is ridiculous..The global shipping program offered by EBAY automatically collects "duties owed" to the CDN government . so it speeds the delivery of the parcel..
Old 09-20-2017, 12:47 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallpaul2002 View Post
The global shipping program offered by EBAY automatically collects "duties owed" to the CDN government . so it speeds the delivery of the parcel..
That's good information to know. Thanks.

Is there an explanation on the wide range of GSP prices that one sees on similarly priced items?
Old 09-20-2017, 12:50 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Is there an explanation on the wide range of GSP prices that one sees on similarly priced items?
That is 100% Ebay.....the sellers collects none of it, the seller sees none of it. He ships it off to Kentucky for the $3.50 (or so) that he charged American bidders.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:31 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallpaul2002 View Post
The problem is Canada charges duty on any imported items with a value of over $20 CDN..Our American friends to the south are allowed to bring across $800 "duty free"..The Canadian government has not changed their import laws for well over 50 years..This is nothing more than an additional "tax grab" by the Canadian government and significant "hosing" of Canadian taxpayers.

Complaining about Americans charging too much for shipping is ridiculous..The global shipping program offered by EBAY automatically collects "duties owed" to the CDN government . so it speeds the delivery of the parcel..
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/onli...imus-1.3656603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
That's good information to know. Thanks.

I always wondered that myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
That is 100% Ebay.....the sellers collects none of it, the seller sees none of it. He ships it off to Kentucky for the $3.50 (or so) that he charged American bidders.
I wondered how that worked? Ironically, E-Bay tells sellers they are not allowed to charge anymore for shipping than what it actually costs.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:15 AM
Sam Lemoine

I just had a buyer that bought two items from me and had me ship them via the Global shipping program. The package sat in customs for 12 days before finally being sent on its way on Saturday. Guess who now has two opened cases through ebay from the buyer who wants to know where their item is. Really? Guess who will NEVER EVER EVER ship to Canada again. Me. Not unless I personally know the buyer. Otherwise, forget it. All risk for me.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:24 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
For any card over $100 I usually ask $10 for shipping. Covers the priority mail box and the occasional purchase of bubble wrap and tape. And my time to walk to the post office and wait in line. And send you an email with tracking info. May not be the cheapest but card will be safe and haven't lost one yet.

In any event, the price of shipping is pretty irrelevant by itself. What's important is how much you are paying for the card plus shipping.
If you buy the postage online you don't have to stand in line or go to the post office. It's been a while, but the last time I did it, there was a very low additional price for the tracking for priority.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:39 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
If you buy the postage online you don't have to stand in line or go to the post office. It's been a while, but the last time I did it, there was a very low additional price for the tracking for priority.

But when they dont scan it in, all the time saved is lost in refunds

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 02-05-2018, 04:50 PM
Emlily Ell.is

I print mine off at my office. Saves a bit, and added tracking on priority doesn't cost anything. But I still have to go to the PO to drop it off. I usually stand in line to drop it off. That way it gets scanned. Sometimes, it'll be after they close when I do the drop off. So I just put it in the blue box. But the point is, you still have to go to the PO and drop it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.