NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-24-2003, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

Posted By: Charlie

Any news on the new VCBC yet? I guess we should all pitch in and write some articles like Scott Forrest and others did...honestly it must be hard to come up with new vintage articles every few months...

Old 12-24-2003, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

Posted By: Julie

....er, Nothing yet.

Old 12-24-2003, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

Posted By: Jeff O

Don... if you're reading this, let us know when it's coming out!

I would encourage anyone out there, especially those with knowledge on esoteric issues, to write an article for VCBC. The only way it will continue is through contributions.

Jeff

Old 12-24-2003, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

Posted By: TBob

Tim Newcomb and I took your advice and penned a couple of articles for this next VCBC if and when it ever appears Seriously, it was a labor of love for both of us and I hope fills in some really missing links in the T207 set. My article is more of an overview of the set with Tim's being more of a statistical wonderland. Hopefully we didn't contradict each other too much. If all goes well, I'd love to take a crack at the 1910 Sporting Life set next as this is yet another underpublicized and undervalued set which collector's haven't caught on to yet, much like the brownies...

Old 12-24-2003, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

Posted By: Hankron

I considered/tried writing for the publication, but there was no communcation from the magazine at all, much less communication on basics of expectations, topics, length, date of publication or even that the material was rejected. I understand and accept that my material might not be acceptable for the publication and may be rejected, but there has to be some shape or form of communcation for me to even consider trying next time.

Old 12-24-2003, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

Has anyone here heard the publisher himself say that he needs articles? And, if the publisher needs articles and writers to sustain the publication, why doesn't he say that he needs articles and writers?

Old 12-24-2003, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

Posted By: ramram

they're actually still in business? I've been a subsciber since the first issue but, personally, I think this is getting a little ridiculous. The issues don't have to be a half inch thick to publish. I know the first couple of years the issues were very brief but extremely interesting. I think that's acceptable so long as they get something out the door!

Old 12-24-2003, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

Here's an example of good communication skills. I've written two articles for a nice VCBC-like publication called 'Gridiron Greats' (about vintage football cards and memorabilia, as you might guess). Do you know why I wrote the first article for the magazine? Because the publisher asked me to... Do you want to know why I wrote the second article? Because the publisher asked me to

Old 12-24-2003, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

I can tell you that both Dennis Purdy and Don Betz have solicited articles in the past for the magazine... at least they have from me. I'd write something else for them, but frankly I'm tapped out when it comes to subjects in which I have a good background.

I hope it keeps going... it is an important pub to the vintage hobby in my mind.

Jeff

Old 12-24-2003, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

Jeff, I do beleive in supporting these types of small publications and did give it my best shot. I submitted two articles probably over a year ago that were not used. As already noted, I understand that, for whatever reason, my articles were not suitable for the magazine and I don't have a problem with that. But, considering I've been published in national magazines and even a British encyclopedia, I am confident of my abilities and professionalness, and know that I would be able to submit a propor article if there was reasonable communications of expectations from VCBC. This is only compounded when I hear regularly that the magazine has to delay publication because it can't get enough for articles.

Old 12-24-2003, 11:17 PM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Betz told me he would welcome an article on vintage hockey (when I asked him), but of course he hasn't seen the thing yet, because I'm still working on it.

"He's credited with the first assist ever by a goaltender (Vezina kicked the puck to LaLonde for a save, and LaLonde scored), in 1918. But since assists weren't tabulated till 1919, it's probably just the first assist by a goalie anyone remembers."

Hey, that's hot off the brain--it's not even in the article yet!

Old 12-25-2003, 01:04 AM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

Julie, at the time (over a year or so ago) I was not at all disheartened. I just assumed that they had more than enough writers and articles, and did not need new contributers. Many magazines have enough established writers that they do not encourage new contributers, and I assume that was the case here.

Old 12-25-2003, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

Posted By: Jerry Spillman

The fault that VCBC is not being published on a more regular schedule, in this thread and others, is a shortage of vintage baseball articles. A rallying cry for more writers is being suggested. This theory has been overwhelmingly endorsed by many contributors to this board.

What is the basis for this assumption? I have not seen any requests for articles or any other type of written contributions for the magazine either on their pages or anywhere else.

There are so many other probable reasons that a business fails to meet their own prescribed schedule, such as the lack of: finances, efficiency, communications, experience, help, knowledge, direction, management skills, salesmanship,... and with such an irregular publication time pattern, soliciting and maintaining advertiser accounts... liaison with the printing press companies... etc.

Some of these and/or others reasons, are the more likely causes of the erratic circulation of the magazine rather than the prominent opinion offered here.

Julie - the name of the magazine is Vintage & Classic BASEBALL COLLECTOR - VCBC. I didn't know they would accept articles of other sports.

Old 12-25-2003, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

To end this thread on a positive note, I've read and enjoyed every VCBC article penned in recent times by a board member-- and hope that that VCBC uses more of your articles. I finished each article knowing more than when I started reading-- and that's the ultimate compliment.

Old 12-25-2003, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

(what does "you have a funny way of showing it" mean? It's not in my post, which you seem to be addressing.

Old 12-25-2003, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

Julie, it had nothing to do with your post. It merely was jokingly saying, "If VCBC needs new articles, it has a funny way of showing it" ... As suggested by Jerry, that VCBC desparetely needs 'new blood' is more than likely an urban myth, as the the magazine itself has never given any indication that it needs new articles to continue.

Old 12-26-2003, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

Well, Hopefully if the case is that they need contributors they mention something so more can help out. I'm a new subscriber for about 6 months now and received one issue. At this rate it will take 6 years to get all 12 issues...I can't help but wonder that possibly the writers of the magazine prefer limited help from the "outside". Speaking for myself, I enjoy the articles that the collectors write...it makes it more "hands on". Well, I guess we'll see what happens. Shortly I'll be writing an article and I'll see if its accepted for print.
I hope everyone is having a Great Holiday.
Charlie.

Old 12-27-2003, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

Posted By: runscott

Jerry mentions reasons that a company fails to meet it's "prescribed schedule". Where did anyone get the idea that this is a monthly magazine? We have had this debate before - it is NOT a monthly.

Also, it seems like about every 3-4 months one or two people start complaining about this publication. Why? I have never personally been ordered to subscribe to it - I do it because I enjoy the magazine and I enjoy reading articles written by my friends in the hobby. The cyclical complaints have done nothing to change my mind about it.

Old 12-27-2003, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

Personally, I enjoy the magazine and, as a subscriber, am aware of its schedule (The mentioned 'Gridiron Greats' is a tighly scheduled quarterly, so the number of issued magazines is about the same). It's just that it seems that whenever a new subcriber wonders aloud when his copy is coming because, someone says that the magazine is always late becaue the publisher can't get enought material.

Here's my thought for the publisher. When someone subscribes to the magazine, his first copy should be the last published issue. This way they get a copy right away.

Old 12-27-2003, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

I will add that my sister and her hubsband published a 'hard copy' newsletter for a number of years, and I am well aware of the amount of time, effort and cost it takes to publishe something like VCBC. So I never wish to diminish effort that is required from from the publisher. I wouldn't want to do it.

Old 12-27-2003, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

I wish to point out that it is perfectly reasonable for a new subscriber to complain or be mystified about when his copy will arrive. Who on this planet subscribes to a simply described "12 issues" magazine, interpreting this as meaning that the subscription will end in June 2008?

This would all be quickly and simply be solved if the publisher made it clear how the magazine was published. Annual, bi-annual, quarterly, "no set schedule, but usually comes out once every few monthes" or "comes out after we get 6 good articles from writers, which usually means about once ever 6 months" are perfectly acceptable formats for a magazine IF THE PUBLISHER COMMUNICATES THIS FORMAT TO NEW SUBSCRIBERS.

Old 12-27-2003, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

I just sent the whole thread to Don Betz (minus this post, of course)!

Old 12-27-2003, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

"This magazine does not have a set schedule. A new issue comes out about once every few months."

Cut and paste this onto the VCBC website. Everything solved!

Old 12-28-2003, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

Posted By: Jerry Spillman

Scott, I do not see how my comment was interpreted to read that the VCBC was to be issued monthy. My subscription to this magazine started with its' first publication. It was not monthly - no complaint. Why such an emotional defense?

Sorry if what I wrote was not clear. My reply was in answer to the majority of people that subscribed to the singular idea that it is a lack of writers that causes any time delay in its' publication. I just pointed out some of the many other reasons that likely contribute to the cause if there really is one. Actually, I edited my list.

However, any business must provide a service or product within a certain period of time for financial reasons or their overhead expenses will end it. Moreover, in this case, a potential seller contemplating paying for advertising must have an expected time frame in which to offer their inventory to sell or to alert potential bidders to their dated auction.

The fact is, how a business is conducted is none of my business.

As for this useless thread - if I wanted to know when the next flight is to Hawaii, I would go to the source - contact the airline. I would not post that question on an internet message board.

Old 12-28-2003, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

Old 12-28-2003, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

Posted By: Scott Forrest

I said what I thought, just as you did. There is no need to accuse anyone of being emotional. If you have a problem with other posters responding in a way that disagrees with you, you should just write letters to the editor instead - this forum is interactive.

Old 12-28-2003, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

I thought the variety of opinions expressed, and the way arguments got tied into knots-=-reflected on the lack of feedback, preferably in the form of a magazine, from its publisher.

Old 12-28-2003, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

... In the end, it all comes down to this: The publisher has chosen not to communicate to the readers, so the readers don't know what's going on. As Jerry pointed out, if this same lack of communication exists with the advertizers, that's an unorthadox way to run a magazine.

Old 01-03-2004, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

...at least I guess that's what a darkened "Jan. 2" means. Time to start waiting! (we wouldn't gripe if we didn't love it.)

Old 01-06-2004, 05:20 AM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

Old 01-06-2004, 06:14 AM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

Posted By: Jay Miller

I have nothing against VCBC (I have written articles for it in the past) but why do we need that magazine? Couldn't one of our more computer literate members set up a web site and then we could just post articles there? What is the purpose of paying for a magazine where you provide the content free of charge to the publisher. I know everyone likes a hard copy, but people could print out the articles they want to save and the articles would certainly appear more often.

Old 01-06-2004, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

... I'm pretty sure that the reason the Jan. 2 box on the calendar was gray when you visited the site on Jan. 2, and Jan. 5 was gray when you visited on Jan. 5 is because the calendar is simply set up to gray out the current date. It has nothing to do with when the issue is printed, shipped, etc.

Jeff

Old 01-06-2004, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

Old 01-07-2004, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

I lost my decoder ring....what does ACHSO mean?

Old 01-07-2004, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

Old 01-07-2004, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

Jay, this board offers more more information than any magazine. And, guess what?, it's updated daily!

I think an online version would be worthwhile-- and I would be willing to 'publish' it myself if I thought it was legitimate. However, having done past projects of similar nature, I know that it's almost impossible to get contributions. Most people like to read articles, but few like to write them ... and even fewer can write good articles.

However, if there was legitimate contribution I would would personally do set up an onine publication-- and, never shy-- would do a damn good job.

But, in the beginning and in the end and in the middle, it all comes down to outside contributions.

Old 01-07-2004, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

!etirw t'nac su fo tsom taht tnemmoc ruoy ot noitpecxe ekat I

Old 01-07-2004, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

In Julienese??

Old 01-07-2004, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

I hit the fargin button to respond to Julie's comment and it puts me down here. What's up with that?

Old 01-08-2004, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

Old 01-08-2004, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

It was meant in fun...that's why the smiley face. The dyslexic comment above that one is directed to Hankron. I actually enjoy most of your commentaries.

Old 01-08-2004, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

Should we just pitch the dirt in on top of you?

Old 01-08-2004, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

I guess I'm not the first and certainly won't be the last.

Old 01-08-2004, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

Has anyone spoke to the people at VCBC? I e-mailed a couple of weeks ago and got no response

Old 01-09-2004, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

Posted By: jay behrens

The trick with VCBC is not worry about when the next issue is coming out. There is no publishing schedule, so it will get there when it gets there. The constant musings on the board about when the next issue is due, is it still being published, etc don't seem to affect when it is published, so I wish people would quit fretting about this mag. It is very good, but it's obvious they ahve their time schedule and way of doing things. If someone thinks they can do a better job, then start your own mag, otherwise, please, stop these types of posts.

Now, when do we get that new forum site so that in the FAQ we can put in there VCBC publishes when it feels like it and thy don't respond to emails as to when the next issue is due out.

Jay

Old 01-09-2004, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

I think that everyone has very valid questions and concerns. I've been a subscriber since the very first issue and love the magazine but that doesn't change everything. I can't imagine everyone here is satisfied with giving there money for a product and then telling the sellers to "give me the product whenever you feel like it or, not at all...in fact...don't even worry about responding to my attempts to contact you either...come to think of it, maybe I can provide the product myself"! If it's a health issue I can understand but if it's not, then it's just bad business.

Old 01-09-2004, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

Posted By: jay behrens

Yes, the concerns are valid and VCBC's business practices are poor at best, but it gets tiring reading about them here every month or 2. The only options left are to let your subscription lapse or start your own mag and see if you can do a better job.

VCBC obviously doesn't care, so continued posting and whining here isn't going to accomplish anything. Send it directly tot hem where it mat, but mostly won't, do any good.

Jay

Old 01-09-2004, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

Jay - the simple solution is that if you don't want to read people's musings about VCBC, then don't read the thread. I don't see why we shouldn't be allowed to discuss it here - this is a vintage forum, and it is a vintage mag. There's plenty of threads on the board that I don't read after the first few postings because the topic doesn't interest me.

Jeff

Old 01-09-2004, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

but at the current publishing rate I think it won't expire until around 2015!

Old 01-09-2004, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Default vcbc???

Continual complaints could actually be detrimental to the continuance of VCBC, and we don't want to see that happen. Hopefully Don realizes that most of us are very supportive of his efforts, and that some of the complaints are meant to be constructive feedback, though some might sound an awful lot like repetitive whining.

This magazine is basically a "labor of love" and not a big profit generator, so we're in a situation of having to deal with something that's less than perfect because it isn't a "Newsweek" or "People". Is this better than the alternative of 'nothing'? - most definitely "yes". And as many have have pointed out, the "experts" in the hobby either participate or lurk on this board, so you can influence the success of VCBC by contributing your knowledge in the form of articles.

David has suggested that the most worthwhile hobby reading is right here on this board - true, but when you submit an article for publishing you are more likely to do extensive research before writing down your thoughts, including consulting other experts, than you would prior to posting on this board. It is true that everything you want to know about t207s is somewhere in this forum...unedited...in triplicate...difficult to locate...and partially erroneous. Wouldn't it be great if an expert on that issue would go through all the posts on this board, supplement it with additional material, fill in gaps, and create a cohesive article? They have, and we get to read it in the next VCBC.

I would suggest that if there are additional topics that you think have been covered adequately on this board in past posts, that you dig them up and create additional articles, consulting other experts for review, and submit to VCBC. If you need editing or review done, feel free to email articles to me - I may know nothing about the subject, but I don't mind reviewing.

Seriously, VCBC is a great supplement to the hobby and none of us will be better off if it disappears.