NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-18-2013, 12:57 PM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Craig, to most of us this seems obvious, but not to all. If you have been reading the 'Brooklyn cdv' thread, you'll see that there are many collectors in our hobby who were satisfied when a $40-50K photo had simply been slabbed by SGC. They had no additional questions to ask and were enraged that anyone else did. The whole point of slabbing a photo (or anything else) seems to be to allow the potential buyer to give their own brains a rest.

"The whole point of slabbing a photo (or anything else) seems to be to allow the potential buyer to give their own brains a rest." Scott, that is definitely a problem and frankly, I don't quite understand it although, as you correctly point out, it does also appear to be the case in other segments of the hobby, i.e., cards, autographs, etc.

I realize that it may be slightly easier for me (because of my limited and rather narrow collecting focus) but even in my case I have had to put in a great deal of time doing the necessary "homework" to feel confident in my purchases. At least for me, slowly acquiring this knowledge has enhanced my appreciation of what I have obtained and is an essential component of my total enjoyment of what I collect.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:08 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen in Time View Post
I realize that it may be slightly easier for me (because of my limited and rather narrow collecting focus) but even in my case I have had to put in a great deal of time doing the necessary "homework" to feel confident in my purchases. At least for me, slowly acquiring this knowledge has enhanced my appreciation of what I have obtained and is an essential component of my total enjoyment of what I collect.
I'm bored and have some time on my hands, so here are some thoughts I've had for a long time:

There could be other reasons that it is easier for you. I learned about early card lithography by acquiring and studying lots of cheap examples. Same with early 20th century photos, and with 19th century albumens. I'm convinced that this is the best approach to 'affordably' gaining enough knowledge to work toward becoming an expert in almost any hobby. It's not 'years spent in the hobby' as much as it is 'number of items handled', and of course, how interested you actually are in learning about what you are handling.

'Years' counts a great deal, but I've seen very old collectors who confounded me with their inability to accurately assess an item. I had one such friend once ask me whether or not a T205 was real. This stunned me, as T205's are pretty simple to identify. I became more keyed in on other collectors who asked what seemed to be 'dumb' questions about id'ing cards, and, realizing that they were intelligent people, I figured there must be something more to it.

I started thinking about something I had read by Carl Jung that discussed self-individuation and a process he used to bring up unconscious elements of the psyche. It is very similar to meditation and involves clearing out thoughts. He said that while doing this, the unconscious elements make themselves evident in one of three ways: seemingly meaningless bits of sentences, dialogues, and visually. It depends on the type of person you are. I realized that for me it is almost completely visual. I tested that revelation through puzzle-solving and a few other things, and validated it. I believe that 'visual' people have an innate ability to see things in art, photos, etc., that simply don't register as well for others. It's no flaw on their part - just different. There are probably other very important things that 'visual' people can't do, that these non-visual people find very easy.

Just my thinking. Time for lunch.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:51 PM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I'm bored and have some time on my hands, so here are some thoughts I've had for a long time:

There could be other reasons that it is easier for you. I learned about early card lithography by acquiring and studying lots of cheap examples. Same with early 20th century photos, and with 19th century albumens. I'm convinced that this is the best approach to 'affordably' gaining enough knowledge to work toward becoming an expert in almost any hobby. It's not 'years spent in the hobby' as much as it is 'number of items handled', and of course, how interested you actually are in learning about what you are handling.

'Years' counts a great deal, but I've seen very old collectors who confounded me with their inability to accurately assess an item. I had one such friend once ask me whether or not a T205 was real. This stunned me, as T205's are pretty simple to identify. I became more keyed in on other collectors who asked what seemed to be 'dumb' questions about id'ing cards, and, realizing that they were intelligent people, I figured there must be something more to it.

I started thinking about something I had read by Carl Jung that discussed self-individuation and a process he used to bring up unconscious elements of the psyche. It is very similar to meditation and involves clearing out thoughts. He said that while doing this, the unconscious elements make themselves evident in one of three ways: seemingly meaningless bits of sentences, dialogues, and visually. It depends on the type of person you are. I realized that for me it is almost completely visual. I tested that revelation through puzzle-solving and a few other things, and validated it. I believe that 'visual' people have an innate ability to see things in art, photos, etc., that simply don't register as well for others. It's no flaw on their part - just different. There are probably other very important things that 'visual' people can't do, that these non-visual people find very easy.

Just my thinking. Time for lunch.

Enjoy your lunch. I actually completely agree with you on this. I am also a highly "visual" person and often intuitively see (and consequently appreciate) much more in images of any kind than most of my friends. Whether or not this is a byproduct of what I spend most of my time doing in my professional career, or vice versa, has always interested me. But one thing is certain, my ability to store, retrieve and subsequently process and interpret information is almost always easier for me when it based on visual input as opposed to auditory, somatosensory, etc.

I guess I chose the right things to collect!!