NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-21-2014, 06:01 PM
Bry@n

Default Anyone at the Sun Times/Fanatics Authentic Show in Chicago This Weekend?

Just wondering if anyone is there and how it looks.

Thanks.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:39 PM
Don Hontz

Yes I was wondering the same thing on this show I know it used to be the George Johnson show, wondering how the crowd is and how are the dealers doing. I was thinking of setting up at this show but just a long trip---would love to hear a update from collectors or dealers.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:51 PM

Don, well worth the trip.

Last edited by Sean1125; 11-21-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:30 AM
Don Hontz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125 View Post
Don, well worth the trip.
Hi Sean I know you are a big buyer---Was this show good for you in that aspect---also how was the crowd ---and was there alot of buying and selling with the dealers. thanks, Don
Old 11-22-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donscards View Post
Hi Sean I know you are a big buyer---Was this show good for you in that aspect---also how was the crowd ---and was there alot of buying and selling with the dealers. thanks, Don
I believe selling was several factors better at this show rather than buying.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:48 PM
Mark

I just got back from the show today, and although I have been going to every one of these shows for the past ten years or so, I doubt I will be going back any time soon.

The amount of mid grade vintage is becoming non existent. Dealers just aren't interested in carting anything other than high dollar graded cards to these shows. And since they can always move them on ebay, there's no incentive for them to make any deals.

There are three or four sellers I can always count on (Uncle Dick, Chappel, J.D.) but the rest of them just don't seem to have any interest in working the shows anymore. It was hard to get dealer's attention may times and several times I would find tables completely unmanned by anyone capable of making a sale or answering a question.

A couple of dealers couldn't make it out because of the weather (Dave and Adam are out of Buffalo so, understood). Still, the number of dealer tables were WAY down. That meant those who were there were able to get good action. Friday I heard was very good. Saturday was good early in the day but dead by 1:00. Sunday was awful and at least 20 percent of the tables closed up and went home by 1:00.

Since my collection is now focusing on 1950 and earlier I don't tend to buy anything in bulk. When I was working on sets from the 1960's I could always count on lots of cards and saving a TON on ebay shipping fees. That's why I went to these shows. Now that my collection is older I'm only seeing really beat up stuff in the discount boxes or graded/overpriced cards on the tables. There is nothing there I can't find in better condition and cheaper on ebay.

I talked with one dealer (who I won't name here) about a card that he had on his table. He quoted me a price, but when I double checked his own ebay site I found he had that very card listed for 10 percent less than he quoted me.

The trip wasn't a complete loss. I was able to complete my 1951 Topps Blue Back set and I was able to complete three pesky minor insert sets from the 1970's. I was able to get a Tom Glavine autograph, and being a huge Braves fan, that was worth the trip.

The national is in Chicago next year and I will certainly go for that. But as for the regular Chicago shows, it's no longer worth the effort for me.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:23 PM
K Farrell

I agree that this show (and all others for that matter - even the National) are a shell of their former selves. And for dealers, the crazy emphasis on the autograph guests at the Sun Times Show has always been frustrating - really, why would you pay $169 for a Scotty Pipen graph? I think that Icky Woods was ther signing cold cuts for $49. Nonetheless, I always have a blast buying and selling a few cards old school style - being able to hold and study the card before buying. Without commission, shipping, buyers premium. I was only able to attend on Sunday, but scored a couple of cards that I needed.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:54 PM
Bry@n

Thanks for all of the feedback. Sorry to hear that it wasn't a great show. I was considering a last-minute drive from Milwaukee but didn't end up making the trip. I will definitely be attending the National next year though.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:38 AM
Adam

I also went for Tom Glavine signing on Sunday but it was nice to be able to look at the t206s in person in detail to really decide what catches my eye and what I want to focus on when purchasing them since I just started collecting them. I felt like there was enough dealers to accomplish that and I could've made some purchases that I would have been comfortable with but I didn't go for cards this time. I thought prices were fair for the most part from what I know but like what was said above their wasn't much competition so catching great deals was probably not happening often. It was a good time nonetheless! Can't wait for the national!

-Adam
Old 11-24-2014, 12:30 PM
Tom Boblitt

Went on Friday with Mike Brockman (Cliftons8 here) and back home Saturday. A good show but a LOT of tables missing. Picked up a few things but mostly went to see friends and get some Giordano's pizza. Looking forward to the National cause it's only about 4.5 hours away from my house.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:39 PM
Don Hontz

Default Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by autograf View Post
Went on Friday with Mike Brockman (Cliftons8 here) and back home Saturday. A good show but a LOT of tables missing. Picked up a few things but mostly went to see friends and get some Giordano's pizza. Looking forward to the National cause it's only about 4.5 hours away from my house.
I will be doing the national. Where is GIordano's pizza in regard to Donald Stevens arena. Thanks. Don