NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-22-2002, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Default The Rookie

Posted By: jeff

Hello all,

This is slightly off the topic of the board, but I just went to see the new movie "The Rookie," and thought I'd pass along a few comments. Most of you probably know that it's based on a true story -- guy named Jimmy Wilson who had some arm trouble when he was young so ended up coaching baseball and teaching science at a high school in Texas, but then figured out that he could throw faster than ever, and through a deal with his high schoolers, ended up trying out for the Devil Rays in his late 30s, and eventually making it to the big club.

Largely because it is a true story, it's a great baseball movie -- the type of movie, a la Field of Dreams (though certainly not as good as that) that reminds you how great a game it is. It's also nice that you know the outcome going in. Every sports movie with kids has that heartbreaking final game that the movie milks for all the emotion it is worth. This one breaks the pattern (barely) because it's about the coach, not the ragtag group of youngsters.

Sidenote to make this more relevant to the board: at one point in the movie, we get a close-up of the wall in Wilson's kid's bedroom. There are some baseball cards tacked on to the wall, but they are in oversized sleeves, and only the sleeve is tacked. I identified some Classic game cards, and -- !! -- a 1953 Topps Archive Ron Kline.

I'm usually skeptical of the Disney movies that promise to be this inspiring/heartwarming, but this one is worthy of all the baseball fans out there.

Jeff

Old 04-23-2002, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Default The Rookie

Posted By: john

the player the movie is about is jim morris not wilson....looks like a great movie,i plan on seeing it soon

Old 04-23-2002, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Default The Rookie

Posted By: Julie Vognar

I love it when they put baseball cards in movies. "1955 Brooklyn Dodgers!" in "Mask," I copied it when i was selling some of my baseball cards for the famine in Ethiopia (1985, I think) through the American Friends Service Committee (only time i ever set up at a show). I keep a '55 Topps Rube Walker to remind me...

"Field of Dreams"....again? I dunno...

Old 04-23-2002, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Default The Rookie

Posted By: jeff

yes, of course: jim morris. i started thinking about that 53 topps card and thought jim wilson.