NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-23-2002, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Default nonvintage question-- 1961topps

Posted By: Todd (nolemmings)

I've got a question that's been bugging me for some time--hoping a '61 Topps collector can help me.
The 1961 high series has 65 cards. There were 66 cards to a sheet. Doesn't one of the cards in the series have to be double printed? I have collected this set for years and never seen one of the high numbers as especially more available than the rest. Any insight would be appreciated.
Regards.........Todd

Old 04-24-2002, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

Todd, I'm no 1961 Topps expert and your theory of a double print may be right. However, I've seen a lot of sheets, new and old, and the printers did not neccesarily fill the sheets to maximum with cards. Meaning it's possible that, though the sheet size was 66 cards, they may have only had 65 cards .... Your best bet would be to ask around with veteran 61 Topps dealers and collectors and see if there is opinion that a particular card is especially tough to find.

Old 04-24-2002, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

Obviously, my last sentence was patially backward. I should have said 'especially easy to find.'

Old 04-24-2002, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

I thought Topps did not issue cards #587 and #588 in the '61 set, with Spahn at #589 being the last card and thus only 64 high number cards.

Old 04-25-2002, 04:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John

the high numbers are from #523-589 which would mean 67 cards but 2 were never printed so he is right when he said 65

Old 04-25-2002, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I did not know that sheets were not "filled up". I was of the belief that after the cards were cut, machines took over and sorted the cards into stacks that were then routed to be wrapped. How would anyone know to take out the unused, blank space?- surely the blank "cards" would not be inserted in packs. Also, why would Topps basically waste that stock when it would be fairly easy to just slap another image on it?
I'd be intersted to know if anyone has seen a full sheet that had unused space on it.
Regards..........Todd

Old 04-25-2002, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd (nolemmings)

forgot to id myself in that last post--also, I see where David says he has seen sheets with unused space. Any Topps sheets David?

Old 04-25-2002, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wayne Grove

I have not seen a '61 Topps High Series sheet but have seen other series' sheets from '61 & '62. Based on these sheets I'll give this theory. Again, mo proof other than what has been done on other Topps sheets. First, most of the Topps sheets from 1960 thru at least 1971 were printed on sheets that had 132 cards per sheet, not 66. Therefore if that is the case with '61 high series cards were double printed on a single sheet (thus no real double prints-all printed same number of times. Since there are 65 cards in the series that leaves 2 cards unaccounted for. It is my guess (since I haven't seen an uncut sheet or if I have I've forgotten about it) that the 2 unaccounted for cards on the sheet would be of card #516 which is the 7th Series checklist card. This is based on the fact that I do remember getting the 7th series checklist card in 7th series packs(as well as 6th series packs)when I opened these as a kid in 1961. This is also how many of Topps Checklist variations came to be, they were printed on sheets in 2 different series.