NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 06-24-2016, 07:26 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Default Rookie cards

How do you guys feel about rookie cards? In shopping for cards of HOFers, I find that I just don't care for the look of some rookies. Often, I see non-rookie cards that I like better (and that happen to be more affordable ). We always say "buy what you like," and I subscribe to that. I guess I just feel like my collection might be lacking if I am missing rookies. It is just hard sometimes to spend significant money on a card that I might not find aesthetically pleasing. Does any of this make sense??

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2016, 08:22 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
How do you guys feel about rookie cards? In shopping for cards of HOFers, I find that I just don't care for the look of some rookies. Often, I see non-rookie cards that I like better (and that happen to be more affordable ). We always say "buy what you like," and I subscribe to that. I guess I just feel like my collection might be lacking if I am missing rookies. It is just hard sometimes to spend significant money on a card that I might not find aesthetically pleasing. Does any of this make sense??

I understand your conundrum. Sometimes I wish I had focused more on things that are now exploding in value but usually get back to the fact that this is a hobby for me and I collect what I like.

I personally would not buy a card just because it was a rookie card if I didn't think it fit my collecting interests and wasn't appealing. I do like pre-rookie cards as I think its cool to have the FIRST card produced of a player even if the powers that be don't deem it to be a rookie card.

Maybe you should start a thread showing non-rookie HOFer cards, Robert. That would be fun!

jeff
Old 06-24-2016, 11:04 AM
John

I usually like the rookie card well enough. I did think the 48 Leafs were odd for a while, but now I like them - I guess they are an acquired taste. Given the choice between a b/w 48 Bowman and a color Leaf, I chose the Leaf now. On a slightly different but related note, in terms of players where I just wanted 1 item in my collection, I decided not to hold any 55 AA - nothing at all against the set, I know there are many fans on the board, but holding just a few - Hein, Hutson, Friedman, etc. - those guys were all retired when the cards came out, so I keep my eyes open for a period item, but if I never get one, so be it - its just the reality of collecting players whose careers were over by 48.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:09 AM

I don't worry at all about Rookie Cards and the extra cost associated with them is a burden with no benefit to me.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:34 AM
Jeremy L.

I've struggled with this as well. Particularly because I label myself as a Rookie Card collector.

Players whose RC's are on multi player cards like Cal Ripken Jr., and Pete Rose whose second year cards I find to be much more appealing. Also RC's of Joe Namath and Kareem abdul Jabar that are beautiful IMO but I don't like that they are oversized.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:38 PM
John

Jeremy brings up something interesting - among the HOF players I can't think of one case where the hobby designated rookie card is a multi player card. In baseball, I think you see those "future stars" cards which isn't an issue in football that I can think of anyway.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:28 PM

I understand the dilemma. I've gone through that quite a bit with my Montana and Walter PC wanting to pick up there full runs in PSA graded slabs.

But for me I feel I should be able to collect and invest at the same time and be happy, plus there's just too much stuff out there and I can't buy everything. With that, I only buy HOF RC that are iconic. At least this makes dropping $500 on something feel like it's as much an investment as me collecting a specific PC.

So, I no longer buy any new stuff and stick to the classics ..... No autos or anything after the Score Sanders RC

Jim Brown
Sayers
Walter
Montana
Marino
Elway
Rice

You get the point, there all so expensive in high grade that it keeps me from buying anything else anyway. I love the 1977 Walter but when I see the PSA 9 going for $400-500 it makes me pause and say just buy another PSA 8 RC.

But in the end, buy what makes you happy, for me I just see vintage football HOF RC taking off in price and focus on those....sometimes I end up with multiples
Old 06-24-2016, 08:04 PM
pariah1107

Rarely does the idea of Rookie Cards cross my mind when choosing a set to build. I don't start building a set thinking, "Oh boy, I need this impossibly expensive RC." If it takes time to accumulate the set, I have plenty to find one that's reasonable.

I've tackled some with seemingly expensive RC's, the 1958 Jim Brown comes to mind. Found a clean, fair condition set filler for $53 in a .99 cent auction just 6 months ago. Payton is a great example of looking for an opportunity. There are a LOT of Payton rookies; some even encased in plastic by perfectly legitimate TPG's that PSA registry fans do not favor (SGC or BVG). With that said, I always buy the card. My only advise is to be patient.

I cannot think of a major issue, panel only rookie in football either.

Last edited by pariah1107; 06-24-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:20 PM
shawn

I typically try to grab rookies of my favorite players. I like building sets as well which usually falls in the mid grade range overall.

Speaking of rookie cards..Did anyone see the 57 Unitas go for 25k recently. I thought it pretty amazing..or I'm ignorant of pricing of higher grade cards as I skim past them out of my price range.. .on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/351758389555
Old 06-25-2016, 06:22 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockwell123 View Post
I typically try to grab rookies of my favorite players. I like building sets as well which usually falls in the mid grade range overall.

Speaking of rookie cards..Did anyone see the 57 Unitas go for 25k recently. I thought it pretty amazing..or I'm ignorant of pricing of higher grade cards as I skim past them out of my price range.. .on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/351758389555
I saw that! I also saw a PSA 6 go for $1,051 and change. Maybe I have missed a memo, but that surprised me as well.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:59 AM
John

Here's something interesting. There is a bidder with a 1309 eBay "feedback score" or whatever you call it who also bid on this record setting PSA 8 Jim Brown rookie: http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...p2047675.l2565

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 06-25-2016 at 07:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-25-2016, 10:17 AM

That's a ton of bids, I'll defer to ebay experts but I'm qurios if that's shilling?

QUOTE=TanksAndSpartans;1554665]Her's something interesting. There is a bidder with a 1309 eBay "feedback score" or whatever you call it who also bid on this record setting PSA 8 Jim Brown rookie: http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...p2047675.l2565[/QUOTE]
Old 06-25-2016, 08:00 PM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustomania View Post
That's a ton of bids, I'll defer to ebay experts but I'm qurios if that's shilling?
The thing with shilling though... I'm sure I could be shilled to maybe overpay by 20 or 30 dollars for a card - especially with sniping - things happen really fast right at the end. I just find it hard to believe anyone could be shilled to pay 17.5K for a card that sold for 6.5K the week before. (Unless they were dropped down from Mars or something)

Interestingly, based on eBay "scores", it looks like the same two bidders on the Unitas and the Brown. The 1309 bidder won one card (Unitas) and the 955 bidder won the other card (Brown). If they're working in tandem, I don't know to what end. The market for high grade cards definitely feels like a bubble.

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 06-25-2016 at 08:02 PM.