NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-23-2005, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Default Rob Rodriguez- waittilnextyear On Ebay

Posted By: Thomas Walcott Sr

I was thinking about doing some business with Rob Rodriguez of Reno Nevada who goes by the name of waittilnextyear on Ebay. I now see he is suspended from Ebay and will not answer my calls has anyone had any dealings with him? is he reputable? I am new to this hobby and I appreciate any advice you may give me.

Old 02-23-2005, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Simon

I have seen his material on ebay, and it seemed to be mostly quality.
I had bought a large group of autographs from him a few years ago at the National Convention, all nice stuff.
That is all I know about him.
I have no idea why ebay would suspend him, but that is never a good sign.

------

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Old 02-23-2005, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob L

I have never dealt with him but I have followed his auctions for some time. He usually has high quality, high digit stuff. As I recall, his feedback has always been high, for what that is worth. I can't imagine why he would be suspended from eBay.

Old 02-23-2005, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Aaron

I've followed his auctions for several months as well. Seems like he sells pricey, but legit stuff with nothing but positive feedback.

My guess would be his account got suspended because of non-payment of his e-bay fees (which would have been substantial). But that's just a guess.

Old 02-23-2005, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Carl Zelinski

I was told he was suspended because of shill bidding. After looking at his closed auctions there is a definate trend as the same bidders were always bidding on his auctions thus greatly inflating prices. I would like any others opinions on this subject.

Old 02-24-2005, 12:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

NARU'd for shill bidding? That's a laugh after Broadway Rick's Scam Zone didn't even get a slap on the wrist, even after national news stories exposed them. There has to be more to it than that.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 02-24-2005, 04:32 AM
Administrator

I don't know how Broadway Rick got away with it,(he can talk his way out of almost anything) but ebay will suspend you for shill bidding.
I sued two individuals for libel several years ago. I did not know their real names, just their AOL screen names, but a subpoena to AOL got their real names for me and a subpoena to ebay got all their buy/sell action (they had a number of ebay accounts, and libeled me on ebay and by using my ebay feedback to e mail my buyers). After I received this information from ebay, these two people were suspended. (husband and wife team). It was obvious, after viewing their account information, that there had been a large amount of shill bidding going on between their accounts. Ebay suspended all their accounts, presumably for shill bidding.
The pair that I sued eventually settled with me for a nice chunk of money and a formal retraction of all the libelous statements they had made about me.

--------

Old 02-24-2005, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Thomas Walcott Sr

Thank you for all of the help I have noticed that jshefts is also suspended he bid on a lot of those auctions it is also amazing how useaglecorp also bid on almost all of these auctions is this not blatant fraud and illegal activities,is there anything the authorities can do I have been advised by ebay that there is an investagation pending and they cannot comment.It appears to me that these 3 users conspired to artificially pump up prices for there own gain I would appreciate your thoughts and advice on what I can do or who I can contact.

Old 02-24-2005, 08:31 AM
Administrator

If there is major evidence of shill bidding, I assume he will be permanently suspended. It really is too bad, because he was an ebay seller with quality and my brief dealings with him in the past went fine.

It is my understanding that if he has committed shill bidding, then he can join a long list of auction houses, big and small, that practice that all the time .

I don't really know if there are any authorities that would be interested if you approach them. If ebay says they are conducting an investigation, I would tend to think they are.

If I remember correctly, there was a major prosecution in the past, relating to shill bidding.

-----

Old 02-24-2005, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

Here's a link to a thread that's a bit old:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=153652&messageid=1056260378

The easiest way to get results is to search WAITTILNEXTYEAR with the forum search function. There's more there.

Old 02-24-2005, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Michael Huston

I have done some searching and have found out in addition to being banned from Ebay Rob Rodriguez has also been banned from bidding in 2 major auctions those being Mg auctions and American Memorabilia. I am also being told he owes a lot of money and merchandise to a few people and he is very elusive with them. If anyone has anymore details or evidence I would appreciate it being posted.

Old 02-25-2005, 05:23 AM
Administrator

Mike - how did you find out he was banned from two auctions? I would be inclined to think that information would be kept private by the auction houses.

----

Old 05-13-2005, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Edwin Miller

I met Rob by winning an ebay auction about a year and a half ago. I made a private deal with him which included a 2 expensive balls (more than 20 grand). He told me one ball was damaged in shipping and he couldn't deliver the other ball (it took him more than a year to finally acknowledge this). I asked for proof on the damaged ball, but it never came. He provided an acceptable substitute for one ball, but I have gotten nothing but excuses on the other ball for over a year and a half. I was about to consummate a new deal for a 60k ball when I read your post. He is knowledgable, friendly and I want to believe him but am now in a quandry. His ebay feedback is perfect, but he is at best elusive. I would appreciate any information you could provide.

Old 05-13-2005, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: vetekbob

Good evening Edwin,
I have never done business with Rob but I did call him before on an item a little while back asking him questions about it as well as where he got his stuff from because it seemed he was listing high dollar item after another. He was very friendly to me on the phone as well but as you stated in your posting, he was vague at best. He bragged to me about items he supposedly had in his own collection as well as items he had for sale but hadnt listed on ebay yet. Being the nosey person that I am and wanting to see if this guy was just trying to blow smoke up my butt,I asked him to send me some scans of some of the items he allegedly had for sale and I would let him know. Needless to say I never heard back from him.
I did a search not long ago on some of his past auction listings and I found that there were at least 2 items that had ended on ebay with the bidder winning the item and then a month or so later the same item was back on ebay and there was no feedback left for the supposed high bidder of the item originally as wel as with Rob. Having talked with him personally like you have before, I quickly concluded that he is all about the psa/dna cert and that is the bottom line for him. He is a businessman out to make money and that is the bottom line with him. I have no problem at all with a seller making all the money they can on something in a good and right way but something in my gut told me that something is amiss and as such I have chosen not to do business with him. I have also been told by someone in person that i have done business with that he is not on the up and up as it were and if he ever bid on something I sold and won it, I better make darn sure the money was in my posession without a doubt before sending an item. Mind you that this is second hand news I was told and as such you have to decide for yourself what is best for you Edwin. The person I spoke with also told me that Rob stiffed him for 90k plus the items and he hasnt been able to get any money back nor has he seen any of his stuff ever again. If I were you Edwin and I was considering spending that amount of money on something from someone on Ebay, I would spend a little money and meet them in person and look at the item and or items myself and I sure wouldnt put all my eggs in just a certificate alone as to whether the item was legitimate or not but I would seek out others in the field who are well versed in such things and ask them for their professional opinion on the item in question. Authenticators are human and they do their best but even the best authenticators make mistakes sometimes. I would also make sure you get the sale in writing and that you as a buyer are given the opportunity to have the item evaluated at your own expense as well with another profesional source and that you as a buyer have a right to return the item in the same condition and manner in which it was sold to you if you have reason to believe otherwise about that which you were sold. When it comes down to it, you need to protect yourself in every way you can because 60k is a heck of a lot of money to take someones word you dont even really know. I wish you the best Edwin in whatever you decide to do.
Robert

basicgreatguy@hotmail.com

Old 05-13-2005, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim F

As I wrote in the other post about this guy, and especially after reading vetekbob's post, this guy has the same MO as Jason Bobbitt and I'm sure alot of people who read these boards know about him. You can interchange the 2 names and the situation sounds the same.

Old 05-14-2005, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Edwin Miller

Vetekbob,

Thank you very much for the information. I was seduced once by his feedback with a lot of people(100%), the quality of his stuff and I almost bought a 60k ruth ball. Thanks!

Ed

Old 05-19-2005, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd

I saw Rob at the Hunt Auction that was conducted in Louisville at Hillerich & Bradsby and he won a couple of high dollar lots. I am almost certain he was high bidder on a Babe Ruth auto ball and the lot that had Babe Ruth's autograph like a dozen times on a piece of paper that he sent to H & B for his signature to go on the bat.