NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 10-21-2012, 10:46 AM

Default Who decides value? Is Beckett the only?

Hi,

I'm new to this forum but not new to baseball cards. I am 43 and have purchased cards from shows as far back as 1978. I bought my first car stereo with a Nolan Ryan rookie. The stereo is long gone, wish I still had the card. BUT, it was ungraded! I have a few main questions for here as I am new to this. 1. are graded cards the best thing now? 2. why are some guys, like Ivan Rodriguez rookie cards worth nothing and 3. who sets these prices, ebay, Beckett or who?

Thanks for the help.

Fred McGriff was my favorite player when I was younger, hence the username.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:10 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Welcome to the forum..

1)Graded cards are nice, but with modern technology, 10's should be expected right out of the pack, so grading is kinda pointless. Grading on vintage is still one of the best things, especially in higher grades for monetary purposes.

2)Ivan, much like most modern players are having problems gaining value mostly because there's SO MANY cards out there. I don't believe Ivan really has a difficult or premium rookie card, except maybe the Topps Traded Tiffany. Those less produced or limited cards are really the best rookies to go with on modern players.

3)In a way Beckett's numbers are somewhat arbitrary, and are only partially based on market value.. Your best bet for a true "VALUE" would be to keep an eye on completed listings on ebay or subscribe to something like VCP.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:30 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Welcome to the forum. Everything David said is true. Did your first car stereo have an 8 track with Stereophonic? I am sure many of ours did. My first car was a 1971 brown Pinto I got when I was 17, but I digress.

If you haven't delved into vintage you might pick up a few cards to handle and get to know them. The best way of course is buying them raw from someone/somewhere you trust. Most of my expensive cards are graded and a lot of my lesser ones are raw.
Our own Buy/Sell/Trade area is very good but it's still always caveat emptor. If you are doing any deals with folks you can look at their amount of posts, time on the board and also check for references. If I can ever help just let me know....happy collecting!!
Old 10-22-2012, 03:10 PM
Frank Hay-zer

I agree with everything said but I want to elaborate on one point in particular- if it's been a while since you have collected vintage, you might want to start by focusing on graded cards. The reason for this is there are a lot of counterfeits going around and until you regain your 'feel' for what's real and what's fake- graded cards would be the safest way to go. Don't trust just any grading company though because there are 'fake' grading companies too..try to look for PSA, Beckett, GAI, and SCG labels (there will probably be some opinions that you shouldn't trust them 100% either, but depending on what your focus is- this should get you through).
Old 10-23-2012, 03:50 PM

Are "Vintage" cards , cards that are pre - 1920? I collect 1950 - 1989 but will buy some Bryce Harper, Derek Jeter and Jim Thome...

when I buy a card on ebay I do not often spend over $100 so I'm thinking vintage is out, right?

Dan
Old 10-23-2012, 04:41 PM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

i buy vintage cards all the time that are far less than 100 dollars.

i know there is some debate about this, but vintage is anything earlier than 1980 or so, in my opinion.

pre-war is probably what you're thinking of with the 1920 date, but pre-war is anything ~1940ish and earlier.

there are tons of examples in each category that you can find for under 100 dollars. i'd guess that total card population-wise, there are more under 100 dollars than over.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:03 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Welcome to the forum. Everything David said is true. Did your first car stereo have an 8 track with Stereophonic? I am sure many of ours did. My first car was a 1971 brown Pinto I got when I was 17, but I digress.

If you haven't delved into vintage you might pick up a few cards to handle and get to know them. The best way of course is buying them raw from someone/somewhere you trust. Most of my expensive cards are graded and a lot of my lesser ones are raw.
Our own Buy/Sell/Trade area is very good but it's still always caveat emptor. If you are doing any deals with folks you can look at their amount of posts, time on the board and also check for references. If I can ever help just let me know....happy collecting!!
Maybe we should have a first car/first card thread.

1958 Chevrolet DelRay/ ??????probably a 1953 Topps card when I was 6. Now why would some one remember their first car and forget about that 1953 Topps Willie Mays card that made their bicycle spokes rattle and roar.

Sorry, off topic, just reminiscing. Agree with above advice. If you focus your collection, you will learn that portion of the market. Price guides are arbitrary. My average prewar card cost about $50-60. The median card would be less.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.