NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 12-29-2015, 09:29 PM
E®© Eńlø

Location: Home of the 11-Time World Champion St. Louis Cardinals
Default New game-used cards

I see a lot of these new game-used cards coming out in the last few years, mainly from other companies besides Topps, with pieces of bats and jerseys from players like Joe Jackson, Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, ect.
Don't most of these bats and jerseys sell for thousands of dollars?
Does anyone really think they cut these things up into little pieces?
And if so, ARE THEY NUTS?!?!?
Old 12-30-2015, 03:47 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Yes, for the most part, these are authentic game-used jerseys and bats bought from reputable auction houses that are being cut into tiny pieces in order to be put on cards. Topps, Leaf, Panini, etc would be able to tell you exactly what piece they used for the manufacture of those cards.

Some of the memorabilia bought by those companies have been proven to be fraudulent, but that's mainly because they were originally authenticated improperly or sold by auctionhouses that recanted their originality. Topps is normally on the hook at that point to remake the card with authentic memorabilia. They have had to rebuild cards with Babe Ruth cut autographs when some were shown to be forgeries.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:43 PM
Le.if Eld.evik

It is disgusting IMHO. Game used Derek Jeter, fine. I'm sure every piece of equipment that touched his body in a game since 1993 has been saved. But Cobb? Honus Wagner? Not only can a slice of bat have no provenance (an actual intact bat can be researched) why is it acceptable to destroy something so rare?

I'm just waiting for Topps to purchase a copy of the Declaration of Independence. John Handcock cut signature superfractor anyone?
Old 01-18-2016, 08:00 AM
Jay T.

I agree. The object should be to preserve the history, not destroy it.
Think of it like this. In the sports world a Babe Ruth Game used bat or game used Uniform is the Mona Lisa of Sports Memorabilia. If there are 5-10 Ruth Bats in the world, that is like 5-10 Rembrandts. I wouldn't cut them up.

Would anyone want the Mona Lisa (Da Vinci) being cut up and placed in packs to be parceled out?
Old 01-18-2016, 12:48 PM

Not accusing any companies of anything but I find it really hard to believe that any of the cards made are what they're advertised as. Why would you cut up an authentic bat when you can just sell a cheap one in its place? And how would anyone know?

None of the companies have ever been compelled to show receipts for the items they've supposedly packaged into their products and if you ask them for proof of purchase I highly doubt you'll receive anything.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:17 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/b...bat-1-1-a.html

As I have said, the companies are putting real bats and jerseys (or pants) into cards. They help sell their products, and give 1000 people a chance to have a personal holy grail card. I am not for it, but I certainly understand it.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:37 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

There are cases of Ruth and other cut autos being proved fake and the company taking them back and replacing it. If the game used item can be proven fake the company not only risks their reputation, they are obligated to replace the item with a real one.

These are real items and the card companies were in the past years some of the largest buyers of these items. Game used are somewhat in the same realm as butterfly collars right now as something that has passed its prime due to flooding the market. But, these are real items.

Think how many chase cards you can create from one bat? One bat can create ruth or cobb cards for several years. You can likely get well over a 1000 cards with the thin silvers they put in. The companies more than get their money back.

I don't like it, but as they are huge buyers it helped the memorabilia market values.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 01-18-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:59 AM
Rich Klein

And in one "humorous" case -- the card company put an autograph of Eddie Plank as a rare cut into I think it was SP Legendary Cuts BUT the autographs was Eddie Plank -- however it was the Ed Plank who pitched for the Giants briefly in the 1970's.

Look mistakes occur but that one was a doozy.

Rich
Old 01-20-2016, 08:57 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Didn't upperdeck get caught buying and using fake jerseys ? It could have been a different company but I think it was upperdeck .

I'll one step further . Do you believe that packs are randomly inserted ? Or do you think if a card is number to 50 that there are 50 of them out there .

I would love to see a pull registry formed . When you buy some product you can log on and enter what you pulled . I think that would be fun and inlighting .
Old 01-20-2016, 10:55 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

I believe they have stated that not all #'s in a run are printed. I think it has something to do with stated odds. They just print enough to meet those.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:26 PM

What saddens me is all the possible important letters these companies have cut up for a card with a inflated price do too the numbering. A example is they 2001 sp legendary cuts the cut up more than a 120 letters and checks of walter johnson

Last edited by esd10; 01-20-2016 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:11 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
Didn't upperdeck get caught buying and using fake jerseys ? It could have been a different company but I think it was upperdeck .

I'll one step further . Do you believe that packs are randomly inserted ? Or do you think if a card is number to 50 that there are 50 of them out there .

I would love to see a pull registry formed . When you buy some product you can log on and enter what you pulled . I think that would be fun and inlighting .
I think it was Panini but in their defense, they believed the jerseys were good when they purchased them. There was no attempt by the card companies to defraud the public as they got taken by someone who landed in jail IIRC

Rich