NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 12-06-2012, 01:29 AM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Default Legit eBay seller? ~ khw

Checking out "khw" on eBay, and he has a ton of old HOF stuff, most all of which is PSA authenticated, but a couple items raised my eyebrow. Specifically, Ernie Lombardi and Cal Hubbard autos that appear to be signed in blue sharpie.
Both men passed in 1977, and while I'm pretty sure sharpies existed then, they definitely weren't widely used and it would seem fairly revolutionary for anyone to have gotten either of these men to sign with one. The majority of the stuff I looked at from this seller looked good, at least to my eye, but these items got me a tad nervous.

Does anyone know anything about the legitimacy of this seller?

Thanks in advance for any insight...hopefully I'll be able to answer a few questions in the near future instead of always posing them....
Old 12-06-2012, 02:10 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Legit seller
Old 12-06-2012, 06:33 AM
Charles

I have bought from him numerous times and never had any issues
Old 12-06-2012, 06:42 AM

Good seller although he is sometimes slow to respond via e-mail. He definitely has some nice inventory.

Obviously, if you are looking to add an Ernie Lombardi to your collection, there are lots of great sig options available. I recommend holding out for a nice example of his sig in fountain pen such as this one that I picked up within the last two years.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:26 AM
M@tt Schw@de

Kirk is a great seller, have bought from him numerous times. I had the same question you did about blue sharpie and contacted Sanford Corporation and they told me the blue fine tip sharpie was introduced shortly after the black came out in 1964.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:33 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Great seller, I have purchased from them numerous times, never had any issues.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:02 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

As others have said, KHW is a good seller and I've done business with him several times and will do business again with him in the future.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:05 AM

Just bought my Billy Evans from him. Shipped next day....

He's got many toughies, and is very flexible with 'Best Offer'. Knocked ~20% off his orig. BIN price.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:16 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Never had any problems dealing with Kirk.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:34 AM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Outstanding, thanks everyone. This makes me feel a whole lot better as I had purchased a Heinie Manush gold HOF plaque from him a few years ago. I had no doubt of its authenticity but seeing the Lombardi/Hubbard pieces got me scared. Thanks for all the vies of confidence!
Old 12-06-2012, 11:00 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Kirk has always been a pleasure to deal with. Has done a great deal in helping me build my HOF collection....always willing to negotiate as well.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 12-06-2012, 11:27 AM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

I had no idea Sharpies were around in the 60s. I believe it wasn't until the late 70s/early 80s that they became widely used in autograph collecting though. Is that about the right time frame?
Old 12-06-2012, 11:50 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

1964:

Sanford turns its focus to the emerging marker business and introduces the Sharpie marker. The Sharpie Fine Point black marker becomes the first pen-style permanent marker. It writes on almost any surface from glass, wood and stone, to plastic, metal and, of course, paper. NBC talk show hosts Johnny Carson and Jack Parr are some of the first celebrity endorsers.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 12-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Kirk is a great guy and a great seller. Does massive business with PSA just shipped him something yesterday.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgo71 View Post
I had no idea Sharpies were around in the 60s. I believe it wasn't until the late 70s/early 80s that they became widely used in autograph collecting though. Is that about the right time frame?

Early 80's at the very earliest that it started to become widely used. the mid 80's private signing saw a proliferation of sharpie usage, but in the late 70's and even early 80's, not a lot, there werent a lot of show signings and private signings and players just didnt think to use a sharpie when signing a one off or through the mail.

the promoters and people organiziing the signings were the ones who started having the players use the sharpies. Roger Maris died in mid 80's and only did a couple of signings. the mass signings didnt really start in earnest until mid 80's and on.

There are always exceptions.

Last edited by travrosty; 12-06-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:16 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

I bought a 1934 Yankees team signed ballfrom him at the Ft. Washington show years back. Good guy.