NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-10-2013, 03:21 PM

Default Is this real?? Ted Williams Auto

Hi, This is my first post on this site. I thought this may be a good place to get some good info and opinions.

I picked up this Autographed Ted Williams ball at a church thrift store yesterday for $30. It came in a generic plastic stand and box like you can purchase from any card shop and a small cert of auth from Gallen Sports. The ball is numbered in pen underneath and to the right of Bobby Browns stamped signature. Ted's signature is bold and very nice with no smudges or notable damage. Also the ball appears to be in perfect condition as well. No discoloration or scuffs or scratches that I can tell. Now I know that just because something comes with a auth cert does not mean it is real and I know that his signature is widely forged.

So 1st off. Do you all think this is real?

If it is I am thinking of sending it to PSA to get it authenticated and the signature and ball graded. So for anyone whom has experience in grading autographed baseballs what would be your opinion from the pictures of the signature and the ball?

Does anyone think there could be a chance it would get a 10?

Like I said earlier to me it looks like it was just pulled out of the box, signed and then put right into its case and has not been touched since. It looks Beautiful!

I am a little confused from PSA's guidelines for grading auto balls. On one point they say that serial numbers, markings and stickers from autograph companies will not effect the grade of the ball, but on the other hand they also say that any other markings on the ball that are not from the signer will deduct from the overall grade.

Thanks in advance for any opinions that anyone has. I would like to see as many as possible so please respond if you have any info that could help me.

Thanks!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ted williams 1.jpg (70.8 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg ted williams 2.jpg (70.2 KB, 274 views)
File Type: jpg ted williams 3.jpg (73.6 KB, 274 views)
Old 05-10-2013, 04:21 PM
John T.
Joh.n Ta.ng

wow, how you get it for only $30, great deal! It looks real to me, but I am new at this too. I got a Ted Williams ball with JSA cert and it looks like that.

Maybe I can post a picture of mine tonight so you can compare.

Last edited by dapro; 05-10-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:35 PM

dapro, Thanks I actually left the thrift shop because I was suspect of it, but then got to my car and thought for $30 it was worth the gamble. The funny thing was that they also had a pete rose auto ball that they were asking $60 for. I dont understand that?

Does anyone have knowledge about the grading aspect of the signature and ball?
Old 05-10-2013, 06:52 PM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

It is authentic.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:06 PM
John T.
Joh.n Ta.ng

This is my Ted Williams ball.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

I have my doubts. I would not buy it only because of the open d. I would never purchase a modern day Williams with an open a or open d. Just my opinion.
I went on ebay and looked at all the uda, jsa and psa authenticated Ted Williams balls. Not one had an open d.

Last edited by shelly; 05-11-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:32 PM
John T.
Joh.n Ta.ng

flagent1,

If you ever want to send anything into psa to have them check it out, do this. First, create an auction on ebay with an amount so huge no one will bid on then list it for 7 to 10 days so you have time to request a psa quick opinion on it. If they think it is genuine then send it in. If you send it in blindly, they will charge you the fee regardless its real or not.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:01 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapro View Post
flagent1,

If you ever want to send anything into psa to have them check it out, do this. First, create an auction on ebay with an amount so huge no one will bid on then list it for 7 to 10 days so you have time to request a psa quick opinion on it. If they think it is genuine then send it in. If you send it in blindly, they will charge you the fee regardless its real or not.
Yeah, that always works. They have the best authenticators in the world sitting at computers waiting for those $7 quick opinions.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 05-13-2013, 07:07 AM
Steve Zarelli

I've seen a few items with Gallen Sports COAs over the years and to my recollection they all looked legit. Not to say a bad item couldn't be swapped out with this cert.

The signature itself looks okay to me. Despite the slightly open d, it was signed with great speed and confidence and has none of the hesitation, clumsiness or drawn appearance we typically see on the mass produced fakes.

I'd be surprised if it was not authentic.

Last edited by Mr. Zipper; 05-13-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:56 AM
Banned

autographs are more than one letter.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:00 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Not when it come's to Willams, I said I would not buy because of the open d. I would not buy it if it had an open a. It might be good but there are hundreds of good signitures out there why would I buy one if I had doubts?
This is a fake Williams done by the and east coast foger be honest what would most of you said real or fake.

IMG_0101.jpg

Last edited by shelly; 05-13-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:26 AM
John T.
Joh.n Ta.ng

I agree with Shelly. If you have doubts then pass on it since it might be couple hundreds buck you are gambling on. But if it is only $30 I would take the risk in this case.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:26 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

IMG_0102.jpg
Old 05-13-2013, 10:28 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Agreed, the problem if it is bad then it is thirty dollars down the drain. I will go half with you and see what they say with a quick opinion. Or with your ok I will put it up for sale on ebay and ask for a quick opinion.I a interested to say what they say.

Last edited by shelly; 05-13-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:35 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
This is a fake Williams done by the and east coast foger be honest what would most of you said real or fake.

Attachment 99007
I'm not claiming to be a Williams expert, but this one would strike me as suspect. The d doesn't look right and the transition from the d to the W appears a bit wobbly with too much "thinking." A clearer image might be more telling.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:44 AM
John T.
Joh.n Ta.ng

Quote:
Not when it come's to Willams, I said I would not buy because of the open d. I would not buy it if it had an open a. It might be good but there are hundreds of good signitures out there why would I buy one if I had doubts?

Attachment 99007
I say it is real.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:56 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Try this zip. This is as good as it gets with my camera.
IMG_0104.jpg
Old 05-13-2013, 11:56 AM
John T.
Joh.n Ta.ng

Quote:
Agreed, the problem if it is bad then it is thirty dollars down the drain. I will go half with you and see what they say with a quick opinion. Or with your ok I will put it up for sale on ebay and ask for a quick opinion.I a interested to say what they say.
Shelly, which ball are you referring to?
Old 05-13-2013, 12:00 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Your ball to go up for quick opinion. My ball is fake but wanted to know if I did not tell you would you think it is authentic.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:51 PM
John T.
Joh.n Ta.ng

Quote:
Your ball to go up for quick opinion. My ball is fake but wanted to know if I did not tell you would you think it is authentic.
my jsa ball?
Old 05-13-2013, 01:03 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Sorry, I wanted to put the open d one on ebay and see what quick opinion had to say. Yours is great.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:36 PM
John T.
Joh.n Ta.ng

I want to know too. I would say just do it. Make a high price to it so no way someone will bid on it.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:19 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:

Attachment 99007
I am not good on williams. But I can say that the ball appears to have vitaligo.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:50 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

You made when hell of a buy at $30.

Your Request for Item "ted williams autographed ball", eBay Lot No. "221227007232", opinion was rendered at "5/13/2013 2:39:38 PM" and the result was:

Response: "Likely Genuine"
Old 05-13-2013, 05:06 PM

Thanks Mr Zipper for putting it up on ebay for the quick opinion! I just sent you a PM I want to pay you the $7 for it. You did that without any agreement to be reimbursed. I think that is amazing!!

So my next question would be what about the quality of the signature and the ball from the pics I posted?

Would any of you think I should pay the extra $$ to get it graded or just authenticated?

I am not an expert at all with this, I am just getting back into the hobby, but this ball and signature look really really nice compared to alot of the other signed Williams balls that I have seen online.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:08 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

[QUOTE=flagent1;1130327]Thanks Mr Zipper for putting it up on ebay for the quick opinion! I just sent you a PM I want to pay you the $7 for it. You did that without any agreement to be reimbursed. I think that is amazing!!

So my next question would be what about the quality of the signature and the ball from the pics I posted?

Would any of you think I should pay the extra $$ to get it graded or just authenticated?

I am not an expert at all with this, I am just getting back into the hobby, but this ball and signature look really really nice compared to alot of the other signed Williams balls that I have seen online.[/QUOTEsorr

Zip, you the man.

If your going to sell it maybe but if your going to keep it no reason.

Last edited by shelly; 05-13-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:26 PM
John T.
Joh.n Ta.ng

I thought Shelly did the psa quick opinion. haha

Depends you want to resell it or not. If you want to sell it then get it graded too. I think it is 8-10.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:36 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapro View Post
I thought Shelly did the psa quick opinion. haha

Depends you want to resell it or not. If you want to sell it then get it graded too. I think it is 8-10.
I thought it was me as well.
I have a problem with someone telling me a grade on a modern day ball. The open d will bring the signiture down. The ball and signture are strong except for that. Why would you pay more to have it graded. If comes out and eight he will loose money for no reason what so ever. I look at a ball and want to know is the ball clean and the signiture real that is what is importand. He will also get dinged because there are numbers on the ball.

Last edited by shelly; 05-13-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:54 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

I think that when you purchase any item there are certain things you look for. In Ted Williams modern day signiture it is a open d or open a the d on that ball is open and not slightly as my good friend Zip said.
I thought I would go back to ebay and look again for both open a's and d's. Out of five hunred autographs there was one open a plus the opend d that I put up there. For thirty dollars it was a good gamble. I said I had by doubts and gave my reason. I am glad that you choice was a winner.
Travis said one letter does not make and autograph. He is correct. I am just saying that one letter for me would stop me from buying it. Even if I felt it was good. The price was right.

Last edited by shelly; 05-13-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:12 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagent1 View Post
Thanks Mr Zipper for putting it up on ebay for the quick opinion! I just sent you a PM I want to pay you the $7 for it. You did that without any agreement to be reimbursed. I think that is amazing!!
I think you are confusing me and Shelly.

Shelly posted it for the PSA Quick Opinion.

I contacted you through private message regarding another expert's opinion.

In any case, looks like you got quite a steal. I am not into grading autographs, so I'm probably not the person to ask about that. IMO it is a strong, bold autograph... No need for a formal grade.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:38 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
I think you are confusing me and Shelly.

Shelly posted it for the PSA Quick Opinion.

I contacted you through private message regarding another expert's opinion.

In any case, looks like you got quite a steal. I am not into grading autographs, so I'm probably not the person to ask about that. IMO it is a strong, bold autograph... No need for a formal grade.
You won the golden ring for $30 if you are going to keep it. Don't spend another dime.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:30 PM
James Wymer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagent1 View Post
dapro, Thanks I actually left the thrift shop because I was suspect of it, but then got to my car and thought for $30 it was worth the gamble. The funny thing was that they also had a pete rose auto ball that they were asking $60 for. I dont understand that?

Does anyone have knowledge about the grading aspect of the signature and ball?
It is funny you mention the Pete Rose ball because the Ted Williams ball has Pete Rose's hit total of 4256 on it. That is strange.
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 05-14-2013, 01:36 PM
John T.
Joh.n Ta.ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wymers Auction View Post
It is funny you mention the Pete Rose ball because the Ted Williams ball has Pete Rose's hit total of 4256 on it. That is strange.
hope they didn't get Rose and Williams mixed up! haha
Old 05-14-2013, 02:13 PM

Now that I think about it they probably did get them mixed up. Both balls obviously were donated to the church thrift shop from the same person. They were both in the same type of box and ball display. Someone probably did mix the boxes up because $60 for the Rose and $30 for the Williams just seems a little backwards.

I did not pay much attention to the Rose ball. It had a different COA with it from another company I cant remember which company it was. The signature was written in a Blue Green pen color, almost like a Tiffany Blue.

Is there any added value for the color of ink?

Should I go back and look at it again?

I did not think a Rose auto was that rare.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

No, Yes, Maybe. You did well leave it alone.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:39 PM
John T.
Joh.n Ta.ng

Even if they list it at $60, it is still a super deal. A ted Williams ball like that is easily worth $250 or higher.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:48 PM

I already bought the Ted Williams for $30. I bought it before I posted the question on this thread.

I think I agree with Shelly I will leave it alone.

I did go back yesterday to see if they had any other stuff that came in from the same donator. They did not. They only had the Rose Ball for $60. I am guessing it will sit there for a long time.